Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2018, 05:18 AM

4,936 posts, read 3,309,602 times

Advertisements

Age 18 just a month before she left for college just 1 credit card for use in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 07:25 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
I really do not know when my kids got their first credit card.
It must have been after they left home, because when they were living at home, we didn't have any credit cards.
Our youngest (twins) are 37, IIRC.

Old 11-13-2018, 04:44 PM

843 posts, read 1,431,124 times
Parents gave me a gas card when I started driving and added me as an authorized user on their account when I went to college. I am still an authorized user on my parents account in my mid thirties because my mother wants me to be able to charge things to that card in case of an emergency where they are incapacitated or death. That way I can pay their bills (minus the card) and not have to use any of my money until the will is settled.

I got my first credit card of my own when I got my first job. I think I may have about 7 credit cards currently and over the past decade have paid about $0.35 in interest. That one time I forgot the $5 donation on a card I rarely use.

There have been too many times that my numbers have been stolen and had to replace my card to ever want to use my debit card for anything other than getting cash out. I don't want to be days without a card because of some jerk thief.

Old 11-13-2018, 05:33 PM

3,879 posts, read 8,380,095 times
When my child has a job and can make his own payments then he can apply for one.

I didn't get my first until around the age of 19, when I met the above criteria.

Old 11-15-2018, 03:16 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Why would any parent even know this?

Again, with the helicopter parenting and lack of boundaries.

It's an invasion of privacy to know this kind of stuff about your grown kids.
I agree. Once the kids are grown, we have to observe different boundaries.

Old 11-15-2018, 07:25 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
When they could apply for one on their own. My husband co-signed for our daughter because credit card laws had changed for new college grads (wasn't as easy to get one after the recession). Our credit union had some special card that removed him after 6 months. She needed something for a trip to Europe before she started her first job.

Son got one on his own a few months after he started his first post-college job.

In high school they drove to school and sports practices. It was a relief for me to let them do that. I gave them a grocery store gas station card loaded for their gas needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting