Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 05:04 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I think it is so weird that people are always SHOCKED that someone is "cheating."

Monogamy is not natural and it is crazy to think it is. Believing so, is in defiance of nature - sort of like someone saying global warming is not a "real thing."
Although if it were really that natural, there would be no shame in doing it completely in the open--there'd be no jealousy and no anger.

But then...jealousy, anger, and murder are also natural.

So maybe "natural" isn't the best thing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2018, 05:42 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,174,886 times
Paging Dr. Freud and Dr. Phil!

Old 11-10-2018, 05:47 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
Why does she even know that? Creepy (and sad).
Earlier in the topic. I think it's just one post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
One word: Jerry Springer!

Dr. Freud is busy at the present time. One of those Bibilogical places that starts with the letter 'H.'

Old 11-10-2018, 08:15 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,310,182 times
Quote:
I think it is so weird that people are always SHOCKED that someone is "cheating."

Monogamy is not natural and it is crazy to think it is. Believing so, is in defiance of nature - sort of like someone saying global warming is not a "real thing."
Been married 37 years and never cheated, my parents and husband's parents married over 50 years and never cheated.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:26 PM

I have never cheated on any exclusive relationship in my whole life. (Maybe 2 dozen women.) Yet 100% of them have cheated on me, got caught red handed, and admitted it.

Yet I'm still an optimist that I will find an honest, decent, trustworthy woman.

I must be a reincarnation of Diogenes.

Old 11-10-2018, 08:54 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
It's a normal variation of human sexual behavior. Our ancient ancestors were doing this and it may have been an evolutionary advantage, which kept the gene pool more mixed and vigorous. You could no more keep people from having multiple partners, than you could stop the tides from flowing. The problem arises, when monogamy is imposed and enforced by a society that stands in opposition to Mother Nature.

Even with married couples who have been together for years and appear to have an exclusive relationship, there is a good chance than one or both have had encounters on the side. In the U. S. studies with DNA analysis have shown that at least 25% of children born to married couples, have biological fathers who are other than the husband.
Quote:

My reference to 25% of children born to married couples in the U. S., having a different biological father than the husband, comes from what was primarily a research paper about the sexual behavior of songbirds. It said that what appeared to be devoted and monogamous breeding pairs, typically had 25% of their chicks being fathered by an interloper. It said that humans in the U. S. had this same percentage of outside sperm-donation.

This study was done about 25 years ago, so I expect that the percentage would be higher in today's society.

The mention of the term, "town pump", about such a young woman as described by the OP, is a new one to me. The insulting slang term I've heard was, "community chest" (everyone puts a little into it).

Old 11-10-2018, 10:07 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
My reference to 25% of children born to married couples in the U. S., having a different biological father than the husband, comes from what was primarily a research paper about the sexual behavior of songbirds. It said that what appeared to be devoted and monogamous breeding pairs, typically had 25% of their chicks being fathered by an interloper. It said that humans in the U. S. had this same percentage of outside sperm-donation.
How was a correlation between songbirds and humans considered valid?

Old 11-10-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
My reference to 25% of children born to married couples in the U. S., having a different biological father than the husband, comes from what was primarily a research paper about the sexual behavior of songbirds.
You should'a done your research on rabbits!

Get outta here! You quack me up! Not in a good way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Only when you tell somebody to flock off.

Old 11-11-2018, 01:17 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukiyo-e View Post
Right? OMG to the OP. Just stop. There's a good chance that your kid knows what is going on. This is Jerry Springer stuff, especially when mom and mom's sister (and I can't remember who all else?) gets involved. I think Freud would be banging his head against a wall.

Old 11-11-2018, 03:27 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,593,114 times
Quote:

This study was done about 25 years ago, so I expect that the percentage would be higher in today's society.

The mention of the term, "town pump", about such a young woman as described by the OP, is a new one to me. The insulting slang term I've heard was, "community chest" (everyone puts a little into it).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It just happened by coincidence that the male interloper percentage was the same. However, some of the motives by the females may be similar, as having matings with multiple partners, may increase the amount of support the mother gets from the males for her offspring. More of them may think they're the father. That's how behavior evolves, by more offspring surviving, from parents with certain mutations and variations in it. Songbird and human females who mated with other males, put more offspring into the gene pool for the next generation and so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting