Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2018, 03:01 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times

Advertisements

Thank you all, for your posts. They make me smile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2018, 02:49 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,471,476 times
My daughter went into her daycare and started to sing " shake your booty! SHAKE YOUR BOOTY! " and then several other kids started to sing the same thing.....She was 3 at the time..
That was pretty funny.

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 11-11-2018 at 02:58 AM..

Old 11-11-2018, 04:25 PM

4,242 posts, read 946,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1957 View Post
Please help me to understand why a child would say this? In any context? Reading it made me a tad nauseous.
I suspect it came from the practice of teaching kids to use accurate terminology for parts of the body.

Old 11-11-2018, 04:38 PM

1,860 posts, read 1,243,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMoon1 View Post
I suspect it came from the practice of teaching kids to use accurate terminology for parts of the body.
My 4 year old frequently talks about penis and "ginas" because he knows the proper word. Oddly he also seems to censor himself appropriately in public

Old 11-11-2018, 04:58 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMoon1 View Post
I get this, and I approve (after growing up in the dark ages) but I still like using polite words with children, rather than the nitty gritty....not saying I’m right, just old.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:13 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,877,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
My 4 year old frequently talks about penis and "ginas" because he knows the proper word. Oddly he also seems to censor himself appropriately in public
Right, that was kinda my point.

Words like poo-poo and silly terms substituted for anatomical terms isn't my gig either but why a child who knows what a vagina is would yell that out in McDonald's or anywhere makes no sense to me. The context is bizarre.

Old 11-12-2018, 11:46 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,746,700 times
My middle son has a fascination with numbers, and one day while driving to the store with him the Iron Maiden song "Number of the Beast" was playing and he fell in love with it. For the whole trip to the store he kept asking people "what is the number of the beast?" A few people got it and answered correctly but we got a few dirty looks too. He did provide the correct answer to anyone who did not give it to him.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:36 PM

7,974 posts, read 7,346,115 times
Youngest grandson (who just turned two) has the same problem oldest grandson (now five) had pronouncing his "N's". Like his brother when he was learning to talk, instead of calling me "Nanny", he pronounces it "DADDY!". When he yells, "Daddy! Daddy!", he's calling me, not his father (whom he still calls "Dada"). It is very confusing.

Oldest grandson started Kindergarten this fall, and went through a phase mimicking a classmate who says, "What the HECK!" a lot. He thought it was really cool, and said it constantly...including when asked to do something. When told to pick up his toys, finish his breakfast, take a bath, get ready for bed, etc., his response was "What the HECK!" Finally son-in-law (his dad) had enough of this and put him in time out, saying, "You do NOT say "What the HECK to your mother!'"

Old 11-15-2018, 01:18 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,757,770 times
When our youngest son was 3, he and his brother were roughhousing. He ended up putting his hand through a window pane in an old (non tempered glass) door. He got 78 stitches, but the skin was dying. The doctors cut away the dead skin and cut a patch of skin from his bottom and sewed it on his wrist. It took and grew and sealed up the hole but it was not pretty.

When he was 4, we brought him to a pre-school at our church to see if he liked it While we were talking with the administrator and teacher, he was mingling with the other kids. We all gasped and looked up at him when we heard him say loudly to the other kids "Want to see my Butt?" then we burst out laughing. He was holding his arm up in the air and displaying the scarred patch of skin grafted to his wrist.

He continued doing that through high school from time to time. It never really stopped being funny.

When our older son was learning to talk he had trouble with certain sounds. When he saw a fire truck he would chant repeatedly and excitedly "Fire F**ck mommy! Fire F**ck" When I would make omlets in the morning he would run into the kitchen yelling "I want to be the egg F888ker" It was amusing but took some explaining when relatives came to visit.

My parents were always pretty prim and proper and veryy stoic. When the same son was sitll learning to talk we flew out to visit them. because we had so many kids, out parents had to come pick us up in two different cars. Mom and two of the kids including son number 1, were considerably late getting home. we were worried. Mom said she ran into some traffic problems. Son number one piped up and said "godd@mn a$$h*le!" We looked at Mom in shock. She said someone had rudely cut her off and trapped her behind the accident. Throughout the entire time we visited (about a week) son 1 continually recited the new phrase he had learned, much to Mom's chagrin. They loved our visits, but she was probably somewhat relived when we left that time.

Old 11-16-2018, 06:01 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,471,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
When our youngest son was 3, he and his brother were roughhousing. He ended up putting his hand through a window pane in an old (non tempered glass) door. He got 78 stitches, but the skin was dying. The doctors cut away the dead skin and cut a patch of skin from his bottom and sewed it on his wrist. It took and grew and sealed up the hole but it was not pretty.

When he was 4, we brought him to a pre-school at our church to see if he liked it While we were talking with the administrator and teacher, he was mingling with the other kids. We all gasped and looked up at him when we heard him say loudly to the other kids "Want to see my Butt?" then we burst out laughing. He was holding his arm up in the air and displaying the scarred patch of skin grafted to his wrist.

He continued doing that through high school from time to time. It never really stopped being funny.

When our older son was learning to talk he had trouble with certain sounds. When he saw a fire truck he would chant repeatedly and excitedly "Fire F**ck mommy! Fire F**ck" When I would make omlets in the morning he would run into the kitchen yelling "I want to be the egg F888ker" It was amusing but took some explaining when relatives came to visit.

Lol..that is awesome. Kids are awesome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting