Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 09:16 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,878,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
There are baby washcloths available commercially, but as an alternative, use pinking shears to cut up old t-shirts or even flannel receiving blankets to make reusable wipes.
LOVE it!

#frugalityrules
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 09:11 AM

797 posts, read 238,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post
Ditto to all. Wet washcloth and cloth diapers with pins. Mine were born in '82,'83,'98 and '99.
I was too frugal -though middle class- to use disposables except in the diaper bag for away from home.
Double ditto.

Cloth diapers, pins, rubber pants, 100% cotton baby washcloths (early 80's through to the early/mid 90's, in our house).

When away from home and visiting, cloth diapers and rubber pants, no disposables.

So frugal and old-fashioned I was.

Old 06-10-2019, 09:18 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,953,107 times
I would like to see a ban on disposable diapers, but can you imagine the outcry that would result? Women around the world would protest that their rights were being violated, but the reality is that 2-3 years of disposable diapers for every human born since the 1980s is probably one of the biggest garbage/plastics problems that people have ever created.

Old 06-10-2019, 09:54 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I would like to see a ban on disposable diapers, but can you imagine the outcry that would result? Women around the world would protest that their rights were being violated, but the reality is that 2-3 years of disposable diapers for every human born since the 1980s is probably one of the biggest garbage/plastics problems that people have ever created.
Not to forget about people that don't flush poop down the toilet, it goes in the landfill. I'm a flusher for both my grand kids.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
OMG, I can only imagine the kerfuffle that would arise as a result of.

I did a lot of babysitting in the 70's, and it wasn't until 1979, possibly 1980, that I changed a Pampers disposable diaper for the first time. Prior to that, every single household I babysat at, plain old-fashioned diapers and rubber pants were in use. Times sure have changed.

Old 06-10-2019, 01:54 PM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
I wish they would ban wet wipes in the us A. They are devastating to plumbing, causing all sorts of blockage and gumming up sewage pumps. They are not flushable, no matter what the packaging claims.

We used a wash cloth, special soft one made for babies. It then went into a diaper pail that contained soaking water with 20 mule team borax. Then the diapers and wash clothes were washed in boiling water and reused.

Old 06-10-2019, 02:07 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,698,539 times
Oh HELL no! You can have my wet wipes when I can have your non-composting, water-wasting, indoor toilets. All of them!

You want to put parents elbow-deep in **** for a measely 2 years of the lives of every human being they raise? Then you can go squat over an open-pit latrine for the rest of your goddamn life. That'd do a LOT more to save the environment than this nonsense!

Old 06-10-2019, 03:32 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wac_432 View Post
You want to put parents elbow-deep in **** for a measely 2 years of the lives of every human being they raise?
I don't think anyone is suggesting you use your hand as an alternative.

Old 06-10-2019, 03:58 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,953,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Size18 View Post
OMG, I can only imagine the kerfuffle that would arise as a result of.

I did a lot of babysitting in the 70's, and it wasn't until 1979, possibly 1980, that I changed a Pampers disposable diaper for the first time. Prior to that, every single household I babysat at, plain old-fashioned diapers and rubber pants were in use. Times sure have changed.
My first two wore cloth diapers and every morning 12-16 diapers were on the clothes line. It was the economic solution for a young family. Today, clothes lines are often banned because they are uncool.

Canada is following the UK and making all sorts of big statements about single use plastics. That should include a ban on single use plastic diapers, but I have a feeling that some single use plastics are excluded.

Old 06-10-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Add me to your list of those who would like to see a ban on disposable diapers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting