Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 03:46 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I'd agree it's crazy to take your kid to a fast food joint if they were sick enough to have been hospitalized but I stand by my potato observation.

Potato chips aren't a good idea either & I certainly didn't hand them out but one year; I had 6 kids at home all sick with Noro. The schools even closed for a few days for "cleaning". I managed to get all 6 of them on clear-liquids but 3 of them swindled their dad into giving them just a few chips. The 3 that didn't eat them, were on solid food the next day while the three that did were puking all night.

My grandson caught Noro last year & the last thing I told my son when he picked him up was "No potatoes!" & he just looked at me weird & left. The next day he called me & said; "What's up with the potatoes?"

After my grandson had kept clear liquids down for 24hrs; he gave him some plain, boiled potatoes & the kid started vomiting an hour later.

My point per the thread was that the OP thought her kid had caught a virus twice, after both trips to the library but may have caught it just the first time & it was the french fries from the fast food place that started the vomiting again; not necessarily the infection.
Norovirus is not caused by potatoes unless they, like any other food, were handled by someone with norovirus.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/179107.php

QUOTE=nana053;53801596]Daycares and preschools sanitize toys on a regular schedule. I don't know about doctors offices but I would imagine most doctors do since they are aware of the possibilities. I don't know about libraries, but I would think they would also do this.[/quote]

See my previous posts about toys in doctor's offices. When I worked in one, we did not regularly clean the toys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2018, 05:19 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,705,767 times
Our pediatrician office had a sick room and a well room. The sick room just had a television, and the well room had toys. I don't know if that stopped the transmission of illnesses. I imagine it probably reduced them as long as sick children really didn't go into the well room. It seemed like the kids would generally get sick within a few days of going for their well visits. I'm glad we are out of that phase, LOL.

Old 12-04-2018, 05:39 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,333,025 times
I found out that libraries really aren't the right place for toddlers, in spite of whatever activities they might host. A lot of the librarians shouldn't be expected to clean up so much after kids and besides, a lot of them don't seem to have much tolerance for young children.

Old 12-04-2018, 07:18 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,604,980 times
We are making our environment too clean by overly disinfecting our homes, over using hand sanitizers and over-use of antibiotics. We are weakening our kids' immune system that's the problem. We need to strengthen our immune system not make them weak.

Last edited by vision33r; 12-04-2018 at 07:27 PM..

Old 12-04-2018, 08:33 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,833,691 times
I can't speak for your library - but at the one where I work (as a librarian), we clean/disinfect the children's toys & storytime items regularly. I and a few other employees were actually SUPER allergic to the product they previously used, so I did some research and found one we could tolerate. It still has the same disinfecting capabilities, though.

I'm guessing it's just the fact that you're around other children, lots of them if we're talking about total visitors per week; and unlike the controlled environment of a school or daycare, we don't require anyone to be vaccinated before attending. You get new babies through older children all in the same space, and often these buildings don't have great air filtration. We just received a new HEPA filter for our library, but I'm not sure how much good it will do... mostly we got it because of poor air quality here, due to the recent (and inevitable future) wildfires. So I have no idea if it's effective for germs.

Last edited by gizmo980; 12-04-2018 at 08:43 PM..

Old 12-04-2018, 08:36 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,833,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I found out that libraries really aren't the right place for toddlers, in spite of whatever activities they might host. A lot of the librarians shouldn't be expected to clean up so much after kids and besides, a lot of them don't seem to have much tolerance for young children.
Ummm... we (the librarians) don't actually clean up after them, aside from maybe picking up the toys after a storytime. That's what custodians and pages/shelvers are for, lol. Unless we're talking about a one-person operation in a small town, of course.

And any CHILDREN'S librarian should obviously have tolerance for children, or they would have gone into adult services instead. Occasionally you'll get one who just took the first job available, but it's rare to be hired for children's services without the experience and/or passion for that work. I'm actually in adult services myself, and never do storytimes or children's programming. I do reference for kids at another branch sometimes, but only because it's a single-service desk with ONE librarian on duty at a time. I'm fairly tolerant, though, as long as they aren't behaving like wild animals.

Old 12-04-2018, 08:41 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
Sorry, I was on my phone in a hospital room with gloves on when I wrote post #41, and now it's too late to edit it. Here's what it's supposed to look like:

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I'd agree it's crazy to take your kid to a fast food joint if they were sick enough to have been hospitalized but I stand by my potato observation.

Potato chips aren't a good idea either & I certainly didn't hand them out but one year; I had 6 kids at home all sick with Noro. The schools even closed for a few days for "cleaning". I managed to get all 6 of them on clear-liquids but 3 of them swindled their dad into giving them just a few chips. The 3 that didn't eat them, were on solid food the next day while the three that did were puking all night.

My grandson caught Noro last year & the last thing I told my son when he picked him up was "No potatoes!" & he just looked at me weird & left. The next day he called me & said; "What's up with the potatoes?"

After my grandson had kept clear liquids down for 24hrs; he gave him some plain, boiled potatoes & the kid started vomiting an hour later.

My point per the thread was that the OP thought her kid had caught a virus twice, after both trips to the library but may have caught it just the first time & it was the french fries from the fast food place that started the vomiting again; not necessarily the infection.
Norovirus is not caused by potatoes unless they, like any other food, were handled by someone with norovirus.
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/179107.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Daycares and preschools sanitize toys on a regular schedule. I don't know about doctors offices but I would imagine most doctors do since they are aware of the possibilities. I don't know about libraries, but I would think they would also do this.
See my previous posts about toys in doctor's offices. When I worked in one, we did not regularly clean the toys.

Old 12-04-2018, 11:07 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,156,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I was not responding to the OP in that post. I was responding to BirdieBelle who claims her kids got flu, twice in one winter, from playing video games at a skating rink. No wonder people don't think flu shots work, when they don't know what flu is.
Adenoviruses have similar symptoms to flu viruses, and whenever someone tells me they got the flu even though they got vaccinated for it, I suspect adenovirus, unless it's a year with a known circulating flu virus that didn't make it into the vaccine due to a mutation or recombination with another flu virus that arose after the vaccine formulation for that year was decided.

Old 12-05-2018, 06:18 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,604,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I can't speak for your library - but at the one where I work (as a librarian), we clean/disinfect the children's toys & storytime items regularly. I and a few other employees were actually SUPER allergic to the product they previously used, so I did some research and found one we could tolerate. It still has the same disinfecting capabilities, though.

I'm guessing it's just the fact that you're around other children, lots of them if we're talking about total visitors per week; and unlike the controlled environment of a school or daycare, we don't require anyone to be vaccinated before attending. You get new babies through older children all in the same space, and often these buildings don't have great air filtration. We just received a new HEPA filter for our library, but I'm not sure how much good it will do... mostly we got it because of poor air quality here, due to the recent (and inevitable future) wildfires. So I have no idea if it's effective for germs.
When I was a kid, the library is filthy compared to today's standards. Some books looked old and had mold on it and a pile of toys in the corner that never been cleaned. But yet, we have never heard of virus outbreaks. Growing up I've rarely heard of flu and only a few kids get them and most people who get the flu are older adults.

I've never gotten a flu shot until I was 25 and it was never a big deal to go get one and I've never gotten the flu until I had flu shots 3 years in a row. Which leads me to believe that we are over vaccinating, overly disinfecting, and overly dependent on antibiotics that our immune systems are weaker than prior generations.

Kids are becoming weaker, more sensitive and allergic than ever before, as a concerned parent I too worry about my kids' health but I do not want them overly vaccinated. I do want them to assimilate and develop their own immunities instead of overly disinfecting everything they touch.

Old 12-05-2018, 11:10 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,059,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
OMG. I didn't say potatoes cause Norovirus.

What I said was: I have observed that children recovering from Norovirus seemed to experience recurrent vomiting after ingesting potatoes.

Potatoes don't "infect" them with norovirus & Potatoes don't "re-infect" them with it either. Potatoes DO seem to be inducing "post-Noro" vomiting.

A child recovering from Norovirus is a dehydrated child. The main objective in hospitalizing children with Norovirus; is IV hydration. Vomiting, even just one time, while recovering from Norovirus; can cause a child to become dehydrated enough to require IV hydration.

While swiping a handful of potato chips will not cause Norovirus; I have observed that post-Noro children who swipe a handful of potato chips; will vomit.

I have not observed with any consistency; post-Noro children vomiting after eating a handful of saltine crackers.

I have not observed with any consistency; post-Noro children vomiting after sipping a cup of chicken noodle soup broth.

I have not observed with any consistency; post-Noro children vomiting after eating popsicles, dry toast, jello, or plain rice cakes.

But with an astounding consistency; I have noticed post-Noro children vomiting after eating french-fries, potato chips, mashed potatoes & plain boiled potatoes.

And vomiting, even just one time, while recovering from Norovirus; can cause a child to become dehydrated enough to require IV re-hydration.

As an RN (as you are also), I advocate for well-hydrated children. I'm not anti-potato ... I'm anti-vomiting.

As I've stated before on other threads here on Parenting; being a mom of 11 kids does not mean I know everything. Being a mom to three dozen kids wouldn't mean I knew everything either.

What it does mean; is that I've had a lot of experience in learning how not to do things & one of those things that I've learned; is not to give potatoes to a kid recovering from Norovirus. Because if I do?

I'm the one who has to clean it up. It's the quick-study program of What Not To Do With Norovirus.

You don't have to like me, or like what I say & you certainly don't have to listen to what I say either. Nobody does. I'm okay with that; I don't have to clean up your kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting