Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2018, 05:12 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,843,471 times

Advertisements

My wife is Caucasian (English), and has a friend who is also Caucasian (Norwegian).
I am an Asian brownface and her friend has a Spanish brownface as a husband.
All our kids are brownfaces!

When they went to a park to play with the kids, they were often asked if they were the nannies ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2018, 06:39 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,912,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
Saw an Instagram post about yes her children are all her and her husbands even if both parents have brown eyes and brown hair and all 3 children are blue eyed and 2 with blond hair.

Do people really have so little respect or tact to ask someone if their children are "theirs" or if they have the same parents or any variation of that?
Yes. People run the spectrum in the amount of respect they have. Unfortunately, all the respectful people just go unnoticed because they don't make fools of themselves.

Now if both parents had blue eyes and blonde hair and the kids all had brown eyes and brown hair, I'd probably suspect something. I still wouldn't say anything.

Old 12-19-2018, 07:04 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,483,137 times
There are more than enough insensitive idiots to go around.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:00 AM

2,216 posts, read 2,934,155 times
Happened a lot to our family (I'm white, husband is black and we have two biracial children). It never bothered us. However if an adult was telling my very young child that they were adopted just because they did not look like us, then I would take issue with that.

There were several times though when I would be out with one of my children at a store etc and a classmate would be there and they would say to my child "hey who are you with?" And when my child replied with "that's my Mom", they would say "she can't be your Mom because she is white". That did not bother us.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:25 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,941,642 times
Quote:
Saw an Instagram post about yes her children are all her and her husbands even if both parents have brown eyes and brown hair and all 3 children are blue eyed and 2 with blond hair.

Do people really have so little respect or tact to ask someone if their children are "theirs" or if they have the same parents or any variation of that?
It's because people are too stupid to understand how genetics works. My nephews are both blonds, yet their mother is a brunette. My brother (their dad) is a blond, so obviously their mother has the blond gene and passed it on, even though she herself is not a blond. It happens. My dad was a blond as a child, yet his hair was pitch-black by the time he was 21. Yet he passed on the gene to me along with my mother (whose hair also darkened by the time I was born), because both my brothers and I had blond hair.

Old 12-19-2018, 10:30 AM

880 posts, read 530,761 times
I am asian (chinese) ex is Caucasian... blonde hair, blue eyed. My kids are tall and thin like their dad, they have golden brown hair, tan skin, and almond shaped brown eyes. Fellow Asians have told me my kids look white. Caucasian folks tell the ex my kids look Mexican. It takes too much energy to care what they think.

Old 12-19-2018, 11:00 AM

35,043 posts, read 31,222,705 times
It's very rude. I wouldn't bring it up to someone's face.

Old 12-19-2018, 12:12 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,178,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Lots of brown eyed, dark hair people can have blue-eyed blond children. This is not unusual at all. Nobody should be questioning it.
And many brown haired people were blonde as kids, it's very common for hair to darken with age. I'm very fair skinned with bright blue eyes and while I have always had dark brown hair, because of my coloring, lots of people assume I was blonde as a child.

Eye color can also change over time - not necessarily from a bright blue to brown, but it does change. And while we all learned big B brown is dominant of little b blue in terms of eye color, the reality is genetics isn't really that straight forward. So it's entirely possible for brown eyed parents to have blue or light eyed children.

Old 12-19-2018, 12:29 PM

7,639 posts, read 4,581,738 times
Quote:

Ask directly? No. Gossip incessantly behind the back...oh yes.

My cousin that has become a well respected member of the community waited a long time before marrying his eventual wife. She was the very good looking bartender at college, which caused their relationship to go on/off. She had gotten pregnant in college and while the race and heritage were likely the same, it didn't look like him at all. As the child got a little older it seemed obvious that this was not his biological kid. She finished school and stopped bartending. Then he announced that he was making HIS family proper. That was the end of it.

Your situation is easy though. Brown is the dominant gene. To get blonde/blue eyes both parents had to have carried the recessive gene. Further both would have had to have passed on the recessive gene for each child.

The opposite does not hold true. If two parents are both blonde with blue eyes, then the biological children will be blonde with blue eyes. This is because both parents only have recessive genes.

My wife, who is Asian, wondered if there was a possibility of us having a blonde child with blue eyes. I told her there was a 0% chance, as her genes were going to crush mine, but there was a possibility of having naturally blonde hair and blue eyed grandchildren.

Old 12-19-2018, 01:12 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,009,357 times
Quote:

There is ALWAYS someone. I and my inlaws were often questioned about my oldest son's parentage. He looked (still does kind of) Asian. He's not, and he wasn't adopted. (Got asked that too.) And the man I was married to is his bio father.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting