Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 08:26 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rere900 View Post
Do you have kids? My son is four and has grown out of naps. For me if he's talking to himself in a low voice or whisper then I don't think I need to make him feel like he is doing something wrong or trying to correct that. I can tell him to be silent, not move, or get up during 2 hour naps, but he is a 4 year old, active, child. What is the expectation here?? Does that mean he is misbehaving?? The school has set aside 2 hours for kids to nap and ones his age most of them do not fall asleep. They have cameras where we can log in and watch. They play music in the class to drown out some of the background noise.
I have three sons. I've been through all this and more.

If they're setting aside 2 hours for naps, then you need a new day care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2019, 08:27 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
You could tell him you think it's a silly system and buy him some stickers yourself if you want to. Maybe it's better for him not to care so much about it, you can teach him that and will serve him well in life.

I disagreed occasionally with whatever was going on in my kids classrooms and let them know that just because someone is a teacher doesn't mean they can't be wrong about things sometimes. Then I told them what the right thing was, according to me

Old 01-26-2019, 08:47 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I have three sons. I've been through all this and more.

If they're setting aside 2 hours for naps, then you need a new day care.
Nap times are mandated. I doubt that would be any different at a different center. The problem isn't the nap. The problem is rewarding kids who still nap and penalizing kids who don't.

Old 01-26-2019, 09:01 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post

Nap times are mandated.
And those mandates vary by state.

I would discuss the policy with the day care director, OP, and then call around to see if there are day cares that have a "quiet time" option instead of dead-silent nap time.

Old 01-26-2019, 09:02 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
And those mandates vary by state.

I would discuss the policy with the day care director, OP, and then call around to see if there are day cares that have a "quiet time" option instead of dead-silent nap time.
Can't hurt to ask, I guess, but the rules would be the same throughout the state.

Old 01-26-2019, 10:22 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,654,555 times
The problem with their system, is that they are awarding stars - which is a reward for good behavior - BUT THEN they are negating the good behavior that was displayed by insisting the child has to have more than eight to get a measly sticker!

That would be so confusing to a child. They might think: "I was good eight times - I got eight stars, but then I must have been bad because I didn't get a prize."

Very illogical.

If you can put him in a Waldorf or Montessori school or something like that - at least a FUN day care, that would be preferable.

I would be so upset if I saw my child crying in the middle of the room with no one comforting him!

Terrible! We're the teachers just fine with that? They're traumatizing him and teaching him really twisted values (not sure what, but something weird from the sheer lack of logic).

Old 01-26-2019, 11:37 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rere900 View Post
Does that mean he is misbehaving??
If he was noisy or distracting while other kids were napping, yes.

IMO their reward system is suboptimal in several ways, but your reaction wasn't better. You sent a message that moping/whining gets you what you want regardless of whether you earned it.

Better to send him to a preschool that's more closely aligned with your own parenting approach than to undermine an alternative approach.

Old 01-27-2019, 06:25 AM

236 posts, read 556,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
You could tell him you think it's a silly system and buy him some stickers yourself if you want to. Maybe it's better for him not to care so much about it, you can teach him that and will serve him well in life.

I disagreed occasionally with whatever was going on in my kids classrooms and let them know that just because someone is a teacher doesn't mean they can't be wrong about things sometimes. Then I told them what the right thing was, according to me
I like this idea. Once I speak with the director, I'll decide if I go in this direction.

Old 01-27-2019, 06:26 AM

236 posts, read 556,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
The problem with their system, is that they are awarding stars - which is a reward for good behavior - BUT THEN they are negating the good behavior that was displayed by insisting the child has to have more than eight to get a measly sticker!

That would be so confusing to a child. They might think: "I was good eight times - I got eight stars, but then I must have been bad because I didn't get a prize."

Very illogical.

If you can put him in a Waldorf or Montessori school or something like that - at least a FUN day care, that would be preferable.

I would be so upset if I saw my child crying in the middle of the room with no one comforting him!

Terrible! We're the teachers just fine with that? They're traumatizing him and teaching him really twisted values (not sure what, but something weird from the sheer lack of logic).
I agree with everything you have said here!!!!!

Old 01-27-2019, 07:23 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
yes I think you and the day care director need to sit down and talk about this and if you get no results then you should look for another day care and interview them thoroughly and I mean intensely . Humiliation does not teach kids anything but how to hate some things and people .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting