Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 10:40 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Adrenal fatigue is not a condition recognized by the medical community. Your cause and effect citation of excessive crying in infanthood resulting in adult adrenal problems is completely unsupportable.
These are issues that the psychotherapeutic community has to deal with in their patients, though. They trace it back to doctors basically instructing young parents to routinely abandon their infants at night, a common practice back in the 40's, 50's and 60's.

And it's very interesting that the American medical community doesn't recognize adrenal fatigue (which isn't true, btw; endocrinologists acknowledge it, but they make excuses to not treat it, while doctors who don't accept insurance get all the cases the insurance-based doctors turn away. Acupuncturists also get some of those cases), in view of the fact that endocrinologists all across Canada list adrenal fatigue among the conditions they routinely treat. Doctors in Europe treat it, too. This is one of the reasons the US medical system ranks so far behind that of other Western countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2019, 12:49 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
These are issues that the psychotherapeutic community has to deal with in their patients, though. They trace it back to doctors basically instructing young parents to routinely abandon their infants at night, a common practice back in the 40's, 50's and 60's.

And it's very interesting that the American medical community doesn't recognize adrenal fatigue (which isn't true, btw; endocrinologists acknowledge it, but they make excuses to not treat it, while doctors who don't accept insurance get all the cases the insurance-based doctors turn away. Acupuncturists also get some of those cases), in view of the fact that endocrinologists all across Canada list adrenal fatigue among the conditions they routinely treat. Doctors in Europe treat it, too. This is one of the reasons the US medical system ranks so far behind that of other Western countries.
I was talking about real doctors using real science. Are you aware that James L. Wilson, a Chiropractor, claims to have coined the phrase "adrenal fatigue" twenty years ago? Are you aware that the same James Wilson sells untested supplements online to "treat" this "condition?"
But often the naturopaths have recommended supplements or worse. Wilson’s website sells “Dr. Wilson’s Original Formulations” adrenal supplements. The “Adrenal Fatigue Quartet” costs about $200 for a 30-day supply at the minimum recommended doses. The website notes in large print that the products are “formulated by Dr. James L. Wilson for people experiencing stress-related adrenal fatigue.” But the website is dotted with asterisks that lead the determined reader to a small-print notice: “This statement has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.” - Endocrine News
Endocrine News is the official publication of the Endocrine Society, a global organization whose "members are specially-trained physicians, researchers, clinicians, scientists, and educators, united in a global community devoted to furthering hormone research and achieving excellence in clinical care."

Further, adrenal fatigue is not recognized by Health Canada as a real condition. I can find not a single piece of evidence that the medical community in Europe or anywhere in the world recognizes the existence of "adrenal fatigue." If you have any scientific or medical support for your claims other than those appearing on websites of those peddling snake oil and its application we would be interested in reading it.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:08 AM

3,563 posts, read 1,878,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
It's a good indicator of a future helicopter parent.

My sister-in-law and her husband did this with their youngest and he is STILL sleeping with them at age 11.

We put our kids in the crib in a separate room as newborns. Otherwise we would have never gotten any sleep.

third time I've had to use this emoticon on this thread

An ELEVEN YEAR OLD boy...sleeping in bed with his Mother and Father...

I can't. I just can't.

How in the world do his deranged parents justify this?

Old 01-30-2019, 06:27 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
I would have made a good royal mother. If I could have had my children raised by nannies, that would have suited me fine. The idea of having them hanging off of me all day, and then all night too, makes me cringe.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:31 AM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Lordy, what I would have given if my youngest would have been able to sleep in her own bed. Getting that child to sleep was like a full time job for me. It took me HOURS to get her to sleep, then she would get up and wake me up and end up in bed with me anyway. Then was horrible the next day. If i just put her in my bed, she went to sleep at a normal time and slept through the night (both of us). and we had a much better day. I worked on this for years.

Now she is 18 and doesn't still sleep with me. She has ADD, an anxiety disorder and I'd bet good money she has a sleep disorder also.

I would never judge anyone based on where or how their child sleeps. if you went through what I went through, you wouldn't either.
That's my kid! He also had a digestive disorder when he was an infant which caused cramping, pain. The only way he's sleep at night is if he had contact with another person.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:39 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Generations ago, when doctors advocated not only putting the infant in a separate room, but ignoring its cries so the parents could get some sleep, it lead to a number of long-term problems, when the kids grew up. Abandonment issues, over-active adrenal glands (from the chronic stress of having to cry louder and louder when hungry or wet as an infant, when nobody came) setting people up for adrenal fatigue in adulthood, and adults who had given up in infancy, on trying to get their needs met. Dysfunctional passivity in adulthood. Some babies and toddlers thrive in the security of co-sleeping, others don't need quite that much intimacy, but being close by (in the same room) helps.
No one is saying that you shouldn't sooth a crying baby. But they are saying that co-sleeping may be a step too far for a handful of reasons most notably when the baby is beyond a couple months old. Most parents it seems will have the baby sleep in their room for the first part of infancy, its easier.

Old 01-30-2019, 06:48 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
How do you ever get them out of the habit when they're old enough to know what's going on (without undue trauma) once you've got them into the habit? Better to not get them into the habit before they do, it seems to me... So the primary rationale for this practice seems to be that it's too hard for a breast-feeding mother (or a father or other caregiver with a bottle of pumped breast milk) to walk a few steps to the next room or even across the room to a separate crib? Okay. From what I understand, breast-feeding actually perpetuates this; a child (nearly two years old, in my friend's case) wakes up in the night, smells milk from the still lactating mother, and wants to feed as a result whether actually hungry or not. In turn, the mother keep lactating. So the child keeps breast-feeding. And no one's sleeping. And the husband is still on the couch. Guess that's why they say breast-feeding can be an effective BC method!

Old 01-30-2019, 08:11 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
How do you ever get them out of the habit when they're old enough to know what's going on (without undue trauma) once you've got them into the habit? Better to not get them into the habit before they do, it seems to me... So the primary rationale for this practice seems to be that it's too hard for a breast-feeding mother (or a father or other caregiver with a bottle of pumped breast milk) to walk a few steps to the next room or even across the room to a separate crib? Okay. From what I understand, breast-feeding actually perpetuates this; a child (nearly two years old, in my friend's case) wakes up in the night, smells milk from the still lactating mother, and wants to feed as a result whether actually hungry or not. In turn, the mother keep lactating. So the child keeps breast-feeding. And no one's sleeping. And the husband is still on the couch. Guess that's why they say breast-feeding can be an effective BC method!
Habits are broken all the time. People need sleep, even small people. It is not traumatic to say to your child, good night love. Time for bed. I know this is different than what you accustomed to, but I know you will be fine and well rested once you acclimate. Smooch, smooch.

Peace out.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:12 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Habits are broken all the time. People need sleep, even small people. It is not traumatic to say to your child, good night love. Time for bed. I know this is different than what you accustomed to, but I know you will be fine and well rested once you acclimate. Smooch, smooch.

Peace out.
I'm sure that's exactly how that goes all of a sudden one night... It does seem to me that this is more for the benefit of the parent than the child, and that's never a good thing.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:45 AM

14,303 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Reminds me of the full term breastfeeding debates where someone has a friend who has a cousin who had a hairdresser that breastfed her kid until 7-8. lol
You don't think this happens? I have a close friend who breastfed her daughter until the age of 6. Not a "friend of a friend of a friend" with six degrees of separation, but someone I know very well. I thought it was kind of icky honestly, but that child is now an adult, married, with a baby of her own, and everyone concerned seems completely well adjusted. Now, on the other hand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VexedAndSolitary View Post
An ELEVEN YEAR OLD boy...sleeping in bed with his Mother and Father...

I can't. I just can't.

How in the world do his deranged parents justify this?
Another friend of mine (not "friend of a friend of a friend") co-slept with her daughter until the girl was a teen. She and the father had never been married, but in order to see his daughter, he would spend the night in their apartment at least half the time. Mom didn't like him very much and would put him down verbally, but he was financially supporting them so she reluctantly allowed him to sleep on the living room couch. So you had a situation where Mom would cuddle up with daughter every night well into her adolescence, while Dad, who was clearly unwanted except for his money, was out in another room. That girl ended up very messed up, anxious, depressed, and went through years of therapy. In her late teens she decided she was actually a transgender boy.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with co-sleeping with children, depending on the family dynamics and the culture. No 3-year-old ever became disturbed by sharing a bed with both parents, but if you combine co-sleeping up to adolescence with single parenting or a bad/broken relationship between father and mother, then I do think it has a high potential to cause psychological problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting