Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 05:39 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,725,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john620 View Post
The issue here is not a parent spanking his or her son. The issue here is a non parent a person not genetically related to the kid spanking him. If the father did it it would be a different story although the mother would still have a right to be upset and demand that it not happen again. If you put your hands on my child not in self defense and you are not his mother I am going to have a massive problem with it. Keep your ****ing hands to yourself.
Exactly. Unless the biological mother was dead or 100% absent, she still has a say in how her child is raised... and the LAST one in this equation who should be making the decisions is the step-parent. Grounding or taking away possessions/privileges is one thing, but I would never lay my hands on a child who wasn't actually mine. That's just not okay, and one of the reasons they no longer allow corporal punishment in public schools.

I also think 13 is too old for this sort of punishment - almost creepy, as someone else mentioned earlier. At that age, taking away their "devices" would probably have more impact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2019, 05:41 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,725,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
You must be special, I wasn't. I only got spanked once, (which I didn't really deserve, I mean, anyone could accidentally set fire to a gas station...). I never did it again...
Haha... but no, I was definitely not "special." I was a good kid, but an absolutely horrible teenager! Somehow I got through it okay, though, and turned out just fine in the end.

Old 02-05-2019, 05:42 PM

7,743 posts, read 15,799,792 times
Quote:
The issue here is not a parent spanking his or her son. The issue here is a non parent a person not genetically related to the kid spanking him. If the father did it it would be a different story although the mother would still have a right to be upset and demand that it not happen again. If you put your hands on my child not in self defense and you are not his mother I am going to have a massive problem with it. Keep your ****ing hands to yourself.

Well, she is a step-mother who has the permission and support of her husband and appears to be the full-time parent here. You can stop with the "non parent" tripe. One doesn't need to be genetically related to a kid be a parent to that kid.

Old 02-05-2019, 05:42 PM

11,936 posts, read 12,993,985 times
Quote:
The stepmom slapped a 13 year old child. I think the stepmom has unhinged aggression going on.

I said the mom should ask the step mom if she would like to have the @hit slapped out of her because the step mom has demonstrated she is comfortable slapping a child. This is to make a point. Let’s say the step mom bullied a co worker in the office. Is it ok for her step mother (if she has one 60 or 70 years old) to spank her because of it. The whole thing is ridiculous.

I hope you aren’t raising children because if you are divorced and a man or woman who is not the father or mother put his or her hands on your son or daughter, and you don’t have a problem with it, that is very telling.
I've already raised four kids who are now very productive, educated adults.

You have serious aggression issues.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:22 PM

2,729 posts, read 6,089,252 times
Does your custody agreement address whether or not a step parent may discipline your child?

Old 02-05-2019, 06:46 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,777,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Eyes View Post
Does your custody agreement address whether or not a step parent may discipline your child?
It doesn't have to, if that's what you are implying.

Old 02-05-2019, 06:56 PM

8,170 posts, read 5,999,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
This is CRAP advice. a) Spanking is not illegal. b) this person is the full time custodian of this child. c) not to be mean, but there must be some reason that Mom is NOT 50% custodian of this child.

You have a wacky sense that the world works the way you think it should. It doesn't. You can't make some face jail time just as this poster would have to power to get CPS involved overa spanking, no matter how ill advised spanking a 13 year old is.
Spanking is very much illegal in some states. My ex would get jail time because he specifically signed an agreement the last time with the judge, that he would never do it again. And if he did, he would go to jail the next time.

Just because you want it to be ok, doesn’t make it right. spanking is child abuse. Prosecutable in many states.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I agree with that... was just responding to the assumptions about their custody arrangement, since it seemed like people here were judging without information. Even as a woman, it irks me how sexist (against men) folks are when it comes to these things. If a man doesn't get primary custody, nobody bats an eyelash! But when it's the woman, they get questioned as to what they did "wrong" to "lose" custody. It's a little imbalanced, to say the least.
Men have done it themselves over the years... because so many have proven that their contribution to parenting is microscopic. Literally

Old 02-05-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Exactly. Unless the biological mother was dead or 100% absent, she still has a say in how her child is raised... and the LAST one in this equation who should be making the decisions is the step-parent. Grounding or taking away possessions/privileges is one thing, but I would never lay my hands on a child who wasn't actually mine. That's just not okay, and one of the reasons they no longer allow corporal punishment in public schools.

I also think 13 is too old for this sort of punishment - almost creepy, as someone else mentioned earlier. At that age, taking away their "devices" would probably have more impact.
Agreed. My ex’s wife is not my sons parent and has zero say in anything. My ex has very little say...specifically written in our custody agreement so it would never be an issue. He can’t even cut sons hair without speakyto me first.

Old 02-05-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
It doesn't have to, if that's what you are implying.
Only a fool would not include these types of situations in their custody agreement. I am thankful my lawyer is excellent because he covered things like step parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting