Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2019, 04:52 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,283,997 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
It is actually a very fair assumption to make that people who don't fully vaccinate are operating from a place of ignorance.....
Unfortunately, I don't think the internet has on the whole lead to more education. What it has lead to is a situation where people first decide what they want to believe and than they look for a source--any source--that validates their point of view. I haven't looked, but there are probably blogs and articles which support the idea that a Navaho sand painting can cure many illnesses.

Its interesting to be an accident lawyer these days. I'm running into more and more clients who want to pursue alternative medical treatment for their injuries. When you try to tell them that insurance companies, juries, judges, etc. won't give that kind of treatment credence in a court of law they can become quite hostile. Some will even look for another attorney to take their case. The source of most of this ignorance is the internet.

You have situations like the one in Washington state where the vaccination rate dropped into the 70% range and suddenly you had an outbreak of measles. Than people are suddenly running to the doctor to vaccinate their kids. Human beings are most forgetful creatures. Vaccination makes diseases disappear and than people no longer realize its key role in disease prevention. Than you have an outbreak and the cycle starts all over again.

It tells me much about how people learn (and how they don't learn). Some require the equivalent of being hit over the head with a club to learn anything.

Its not very encouraging.

Old 02-19-2019, 05:08 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,663,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I agree with the previous poster who said that it doesn't sound like you understand what Tetanus is or the purpose of getting the Tetanus shot.
The Tdap vaccine isn’t just for tetanus. It is also for diphtheria and pertussis. Whooping cough tends to cause the most symptoms in young children, but does not tend to cause the same symptoms in adults, so they might get pertussis, think they just have a cold, and pass it onto a child/baby who is not yet fully vaccinated. Pertussis is actually a serious illness. So is diphtheria. Of the three illnesses, tetanus is probably the one to be the least worried about...

Old 02-19-2019, 05:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
The Tdap vaccine isn’t just for tetanus. It is also for diphtheria and pertussis. Whooping cough tends to cause the most symptoms in young children, but does not tend to cause the same symptoms in adults, so they might get pertussis, think they just have a cold, and pass it onto a child/baby who is not yet fully vaccinated. Pertussis is actually a serious illness. So is diphtheria. Of the three illnesses, tetanus is probably the one to be the least worried about...
The discussion, however, was about tetanus. That's like saying you're not likely to get polio here in the US. You're not, but it's "an airplane ride away". Tetanus is not communicable person to person (which I presume you know) but tetanus spores are everywhere.

Old 02-19-2019, 05:44 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,728,957 times
Wow, this thread sure has veered from the original topic and turned into a free for all vaccine debate. What a surprise. I would support mature teens in being able to choose to get vaccinated. I am not sure how that would be measured. Someone said it could align with “age of consent” laws and I think I could agree with that.

Old 02-19-2019, 05:45 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,896,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
That was not my nephew or friends kid. I can't stress that both were normal little boys until one day the lights got turned off. Both played, were talking, sociable little boys then one day they stopped. They used to eat all sorts of foods too until the lights went out.
Maybe. But there are some interesting studies of regressive autism.

https://www.spectrumnews.org/feature...ession-autism/

Quote:
One researcher after another described onset patterns of autism that defied the two-category view. Several, for example, reported that the more they scrutinized home videos or other contemporaneous records, such as clinician or caretaker reports from the first year of life in children ultimately diagnosed with regressive autism, the more they saw early signs of the condition.

The strength of these early signs varies, and they’re often subtle, but they show up in multiple domains, from movement and eye-gaze patterns to language responses and social interactions.
https://www.spectrumnews.org/news/re...e-study-finds/

Quote:
Parents do not always accurately recall subtle shifts in their child’s development, especially when they take a survey years after these shifts took place.
Quote:
When researchers track children over time, they get larger numbers for regression’s prevalence. In one small study of this type, Ozonoff’s team found that social skills decline at some point between 6 months and 3 years of age in 86 percent of children with autism.
Quote:
The researchers reported that children with autism who regress have some defining characteristics. They are more likely to have intellectual disability than those who do not regress — a finding consistent with the notion that regression in children tracks with severe autism. These children also tend to have repetitive behaviors.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:13 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,854,763 times
I hate that Jenny McCarthy phrase, "the lights went out" or "the lights were turned off." I certainly know that having a child with autism can be a huge stressor on families and that a lot of cases of autism involve issues that are incredibly difficult and painful. I'm not trying to minimize that. But autistic people are people. There's someone home. And I'm not just talking about cases that are mild to moderate on the spectrum. Many profoundly autistic people have, after they figured out how to make contact (through their own ingenuity and/or the help of insightful people) and communicate better, made it clear that they've had full internal lives all along.

Old 02-20-2019, 01:26 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,488,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
You’re falsely assuming that people who don’t fully vaccinate are operating from a place of ignorance.
Oh I'm not falsely assuming. I'm saying it outright.

Old 02-20-2019, 01:52 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,488,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Wow, this thread sure has veered from the original topic and turned into a free for all vaccine debate. What a surprise. I would support mature teens in being able to choose to get vaccinated. I am not sure how that would be measured. Someone said it could align with “age of consent” laws and I think I could agree with that.
I think probably all of us can agree on age of consent. What is problematic to some of us are the underage kids not being vaccinated, not due to allergies/medical issues with certain vaccines, but rather ignorant parents who do not understand how vaccines work for their own children as well as other people around them because they listen to people like Jenny McCarthy rather than actual scientists and physicians, or rely on internet BS that ANYONE can put up there. For Christ's sake, measles was eradicated in the USA back in 2000. It's back. It's back because viruses travel and certain nimrod parents refuse to vaccinate their children because Jenny McCarthy or Mega Church God told them not to. It's based on absolute ignorance. I've asked this before. What if it was smallpox?

Old 02-20-2019, 05:10 AM

23,859 posts, read 33,518,785 times
I can't quote the posts talking about Gardasil because the forum search is down. Has anyone seen this post on facebook that's going viral? She posts tons of info showing how bad it is; one side effect is it's making people sterile.

It's a photo of a young girl looking at the 30 page insert of Gardasil that lists the indications, contraindications and adverse reactions that occurred during clinical trials, of which, include the following:

Quote:
Blood and lymphatic system disorders: Autoimmune hemolytic anemia, idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura, lymphadenopathy.

Respiratory, thoracic and mediastinal disorders: Pulmonary embolus.

Gastrointestinal disorders: Nausea, pancreatitis, vomiting.

General disorders and administration site conditions: Asthenia, chills, death, fatigue, malaise.

Immune system disorders: Autoimmune diseases, hypersensitivity reactions including anaphylactic/anaphylactoid reactions, bronchospasm, and urticaria.

Musculoskeletal and connective tissue disorders: Arthralgia, myalgia.

Nervous system disorders: Acute disseminated encephalomyelitis, dizziness, Guillain-Barré syndrome, headache, motor neuron disease, paralysis, seizures, syncope (including syncope associated with tonicclonic movements and other seizure-like activity) sometimes resulting in falling with injury, transverse myelitis. Infections and infestations: cellulitis.

Vascular disorders: Deep venous thrombosis.

Last edited by Roselvr; 02-20-2019 at 05:20 AM..

Old 02-20-2019, 05:51 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,922,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawflower View Post
When anti vax parents die of a preventable disease it's natural selection. If their kids get a preventable disease it's criminal and they should be charged accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.