Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would You (or Do You) Let Teens Smoke Pot
Yes 12 13.19%
No 72 79.12%
Undecided or unsure 7 7.69%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 02:53 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,795,008 times

Advertisements

The hair color is very extreme in my opinion. I mean people who have kids that are into drugs or not behaving properly probably wish there biggest problem was their kids hair color.

I don't have kids but i wouldn't let them unless they had a medical condition that a doctor suggested it for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 10:45 PM

38 posts, read 71,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherTouchOfWhimsy View Post
Come back in 10 years and let us know how it turns out. LOL!

Signed,

Successful business owner with pink hair and a tattoo (never tried cocaine or shrooms, though, so it's a wonder I'm not still living in my parents' basement... )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Hair color? Good grief. It's the easiest and most temporary form of self expression out there. Neither of my boys wanted to color their hair...but I would've let them, if they wanted to.

I did put my foot down, when my youngest was in kindergarden, and wanted a green mohawk like his friend Gunther.

When my youngest was in high school, he let his thick, gorgeous black hair grow to the middle of his back, and I was completely fine with that. My thought on that was "You're only young once, and you don't have to conform to societal pressure on THAT just yet."
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellybelly83 View Post
My parents were "made in china" and raised us that way. But little rebellious me, had boyfriends, smoked, dyed my hair, got tattoos and piercings. The more i rebelled the stricter they got, the better i got at lying to them and sneaking around.
Today I am a educated, professional, homeowner that has a very strained and difficult relationship with my parents. I am all for raising my children with traditional values, but i recommend you give them a little freedom to express themselves.

To answer the OP. I smoke pot on rare occasions, never in the presence of my kids, i would not all them to smoke in my house, but if i found out they did it with friends, i wouldn't be mad.

I think it's great that you guys express yourselves they way you want as adults. I don't personally like tattoos or hair coloring, I feel that the current trend to be "unique" ends up with everyone looking the same. (I did color my hair in my 20's, but I grew out of it)

I also let my son know that their is a "light at the end of the tunnel". As long as he is under my jurisdiction, he will follow my rules. There will be no distractions whilst his job is to get through K-12. We let him know that all the time, just get through K-12.

To be honest, I am a bit of an out-of-control kid myself, I can still think like a kid, he won't be able to lie to me. I approach my son with respect because I know he will respect me in return.

We all raise our kids differently, I hope!

Old 03-01-2019, 06:24 AM

3,205 posts, read 3,478,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Just curious what most parents on this forum think today.
It seems pretty outrageous to condone or let your children make incredibly reckless decisions that could jeopardize their future, their development, and even their lives.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:28 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,713,982 times
I have nothing against marijuana. I think it's less harmful than alcohol, and I think it should be legal. I would not allow one of my kids to smoke it though. If you want to smoke it, smoke it once you've grown up and your brain has fully developed. Smoking it as a teen can stunt your brain development.

If I catch one of my kids smoking it behind my back though, I will not lose my mind over it. I will punish the kid and confiscate the drugs but I won't go nuclear over it. Same with alcohol.

Old 03-01-2019, 12:35 PM

Location: Forest Service Cabin-90% of the yr. Sis & I inherited it and I bought her out.
175 posts, read 124,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
I have nothing against marijuana. I think it's less harmful than alcohol, and I think it should be legal. I would not allow one of my kids to smoke it though. If you want to smoke it, smoke it once you've grown up and your brain has fully developed. Smoking it as a teen can stunt your brain development.

If I catch one of my kids smoking it behind my back though, I will not lose my mind over it. I will punish the kid and confiscate the drugs but I won't go nuclear over it. Same with alcohol.
This is true, thanks for this FACT. Moreno the teenagers but it does affect everyone's brain after a while

One reason why we'd only allow it in a medical emergency. Emotional breakdown or some health issue

It is also a hallucinogen so it could cause someone to become intoxicated and it's very difficult to regulate the level of intoxication

Old 03-02-2019, 10:43 PM

Location: Forest Service Cabin-90% of the yr. Sis & I inherited it and I bought her out.
175 posts, read 124,192 times
I am surprised 80% of those here will not let their kids smoke pot. This is not necessarily a sin.

It's just a plant so if the kids are traumatized, or anyone is for whatever reason, it really helps.

Considering it is used in emergencies only, it's a great plant

To use it recreationally? no no no

Old 03-07-2019, 03:08 PM

7,287 posts, read 6,865,933 times
I am not a hypochondriac .
I do not drink or smoke or do drugs ,EVER. never needed to don't want to and after 68 years I don't see it happening .
Modern medicine the FDA or AMA do not dictate what is good for me. I make those decisions. I have also never been a patient in any hospital.
I have seen the damage chemicals do on the human body both short term and long term .both doctor prescribed and illegal.
The stupid participate with what the crowd does, disregarding the results . it does not justify the stupidity.
I am so surprised that young people are still participating in the same stupid things that kill their parents and friends.
People are not getting smarter they perpetuate stupidity. disrespecting their life their bodies, and their future.
When I was a kid (i950's 1960's the future looked very bleak with Russia aiming missiles in our direction and the schools doing bomb drills regularly , the fear consumed a lot of people even building bomb shelters . Our view of the future was pretty bad. but you know what we lived through it . .Turns out every generation has some level of fear being perpetuated on them, but the intelligent don't give up , they work toward better things regardless of the nay sayers .
Secondly , this is the information age , you can do better than your parents ,solve problems that over whelmed them in their time with out the use of booze or drugs that weakened their bodies and dulled their minds.and disrupted their circulation creating a lot of preventable disease .
If you are consuming things that are not living food , you're not investing on life, but investing in death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting