Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 06:32 AM

173 posts, read 590,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
Moms,

Does the feeling (my baby is slipping away) go away from this point on?

Is there any advice to give him w/o him feeling embarassed?
The feeling doesn't go away...it's hard letting them grow up & I had so many mixed emotions w/ this kind of stuff (especially w/ my oldest). It seems advice on dating isn't what sons want to hear from moms. I preached I don't approve of pre-marital sex, etc. etc. I also advised that if they're gonna do it, make sure there's protection....now I'm a grandma. Thankfully they're college students, & not in high school anymore, but it's still a huge responsibility for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 09:06 AM

22,007 posts, read 19,112,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
Moms,

Does the feeling (my baby is slipping away) go away from this point on?

Is there any advice to give him w/o him feeling embarassed?
Yes they just keep going away. That sad nostalgic feeling stays there, I still weep and they are 21, 21, and 23. The first time my eldest at age 4 went running across the playground (away from me) to be with his friends I burst into tears and wept inconsolably for about 2 hours.

All 3 of mine are boys and though they are dear and we have a loving relationship....they still are very much on their own and I feel "way far away". Each of them at about age 14 really had their own life, friends, and activities by then. People tell me with girls there is less distance. I am happy they are capable independent successful young men, but it is an emotional swampy spot for me at times still!

The best advice I ever got was before my first one was born, a mother with kids who were then teenagers said, "Start letting go of them the day you walk out the hospital with the newborn in your arms." That is right on the mark, realize from day 1 and practice letting go. It is not EASY but very necessary.

So yes the junior prom is one of those oh-my-god he's going away moments. Take lots of pictures. Enjoy! And be thinking about what YOU will do with the rest of YOUR life!

Old 04-16-2008, 09:14 AM

22,007 posts, read 19,112,807 times
I was the mom who had the little basket of condoms on the back of the toilet from the time they were about 12, saying these are for you to use no questions asked and for any of your friends. They'd been hearing me talk to them about the natural conseqeunces of sex (and drinking alcohol) since they were about 4 years old so they were used to it. At some point they asked, "Please can we put that basket in the linen cupboard?" and we did and it was hilarious. They sort of rolled their eyes, but they have a healthy regard for taking responsibility for the natural consequences of their actions. The other rule/advice was "unless you can talk about sex with the person beforehand, don't have sex with them."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting