Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 02:24 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,639,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairMindedLL View Post
It didn’t involve another car or driver so we didn’t report it to insurance... about $1500 worth of damage to her car.

...This 2nd accident was her fault and involved another driver, but there was no damage to his car and he didn’t want to report it. Neither did we...
You may have accidentally violated state law. In at least one state I'm aware of, any accident generating $500 or more in damage must be reported to the DMV which in turn means it will be discovered by insurance companies.

Just sayin'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2019, 02:47 PM

801 posts, read 614,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
You may have accidentally violated state law. In at least one state I'm aware of, any accident generating $500 or more in damage must be reported to the DMV which in turn means it will be discovered by insurance companies.

Just sayin'.
Yah. I'm sure it'll keep the OP up all night.

You are aware that legal isn't synonymous with moral or ethical, right? Insurance companies certainly don't think so or worry themselves much about it either...

Old 03-23-2019, 04:07 PM

233 posts, read 155,195 times
Default Driving class

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairMindedLL View Post
Six months ago our 18 year old daughter got into a fender bender only 3 months after getting her license. It didn’t involve another car or driver so we didn’t report it to insurance. She swerved to avoid hitting an animal and jammed her front wheel into the curb, causing about $1500 worth of damage to her car. Hubby and I helped her with half the cost of the repairs, but told her all future accidents would be her responsibility. When the 2nd fender bender happened less than 4 months later, we told her she’d have to save up for the repairs and that the car would sit in the driveway until she had the full amount. This 2nd accident was her fault and involved another driver, but there was no damage to his car and he didn’t want to report it. Neither did we so it would stay off of our daughter’s driving record and our insurance wouldn’t go up. We removed her as a driver from our policy and she’s been getting around through a combination of us, Lyft, and friends.

Fast forward 6 months. She’s been saving steadily for the repairs and will have the full amount in about a month. We suggested she take a refresher driving course since she was barely licensed when she had this accident and she hasn’t driven at all in 6 months. She doesn’t want to pay for a driving course since it took her this long to save for the repairs. However, we hold the title on the car, which we would have to sign over to her before she can get insurance. Now that she’s an adult, she will be getting her own insurance policy because she’s become to much of a risk for us to add her back to our policy.

We’re considering forcing the driving refresher course by making it a condition of us signing over the car title to her. As a typical 18 year old, she tends to be a bit impulsive and I’m concerned there will be another fender bender or worse if she doesn’t get some practice before fully getting behind the wheel again. We’ve told her that paying for the class is her responsibility, one of the unintended consequences of being careless with the car. She thinks the refresher course is a waste of her time and money and just wants to jump back into driving.

What do you think of our condition? Is it reasonable? Or should we turn over the title to her and let her make whatever mistakes she’s going to make now that she’s an adult? For the record, the car is actually hers, she paid for it with her own money when she was 17, but our insurance company required the title to be in our names since she was on our policy at that time.

I'm old enuf to remember NATIONAL DRIVING CLASS on tv, and it was more than just once, I took them all, but I recall watching just exactly how everyone drove their cars, from when I was a boy, to when I got my license, then later on, took a motorcycle safety course, which added to my total information base, and a different perspective than just a car.

Surprise surprise I ended up driving for a living and took all the driving classes they offered as well....and I've seen all kinds of drivers over the years.

And some folks just ain't got the knack to drive.....mom never had it, and lived her whole life without it.
Tho times have changed, and people are way more fearful than they used to be.

Maybe, she just ain't got the knack, and may never get it either, maybe she took the driving test too soon.....too many unknowns to say. You're the parents, and most likely know best.......

Old 03-23-2019, 07:54 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LieslMet View Post
Btw, horns are meant to be used BEFORE an accident happens, not afterward. :P )
But not the way they do in the Russian dash cam videos, where someone pulls/spins out in front of them and they hit the horn rather than the brakes!

(But I'm of the opinion that all new drivers should have to watch many of these videos... it gives you an idea of the stupid things drivers do-- both as a guide for what not to do, and also for what to watch out for from other people!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Oh, sure. And they can reap the consequences of bad parenting decisions, too, like reneging on a deal they made with her.
As well as the consequences of her accidents-- like having to drive her around for the past 6 months (with the alternative being, paying for the repair themselves). I think they get a say in this if they also have to pay for her mistakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennywally51 View Post
A
Tho times have changed, and people are way more fearful than they used to be.
But, for good reason. Speed limits are higher now, so perhaps crashes are worse. More traffic on the roads/pedestrians too, so more of a chance to get into an accident. Insurance rates probably higher. And with road rage, you never know what messing up or getting into an accident will get you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting