Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2019, 05:38 AM

18,548 posts, read 15,586,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Yes, I’ve witnessed this with my family. I think it’s very inappropriate regardless of age. Every kid deserves to feel special on their birthday without someone stealing the spotlight. Is this becoming a trend giving a small gift to a sibling as well when it’s not their birthday? Kids need to learn the world doesn’t revolve around them and be happy for others celebrating milestones such as birthdays
Everyone, regardless of age, needs to accept that anybody can give a gift at any time to whomever they want, and that no one is entitled to everything. Does not matter if you are a child or adult, conservative or liberal, white or black or orange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 09:09 AM

3,070 posts, read 2,401,124 times
My family has a lot of birthdays around the same time. My mother would invite the whole fan-damily, most of whom I had nothing in common with, to a big dinner (which I usually hate anyway). The point is, when it's the birthday of half the people in the room, it's not your special day anymore.

Old 03-30-2019, 09:20 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,968,125 times
My aunt used to do that for us when we were children, and continued that tradition when I had children. The birthday kid got a larger gift, and in the box was an item for the non birthday siblings. Something very small.

And the birthday kid would open the package, locate the smaller gifts for the siblings, and distribute them.

What a lovely idea.

I think I'll do that when I have grand children. It certainly didn't cause any sibling rivalry or feelings that the birthday kid wasn't "special". Same idea as giving party favors or prizes to birthday party attendees, actually.

Old 03-30-2019, 09:41 AM

801 posts, read 615,512 times
Just no. I had to read it twice, thinking you meant did the siblings pick out a small gift for the birthday kid.

If you think a child needs a gift in order to not be jealous of the birthday boy/girl, the problem is the jealousy, not whether you should or should not reward potential jealousy with a gift. WTH?

Old 03-30-2019, 09:52 AM

5,621 posts, read 5,935,590 times
That sounds absurd. My sister's birthday is a month and a half before me. Even at a young age (and she's older than me by 6 years) did I think I should also get a gift. I knew it was her day and my was right around the corner.

This to me sounds like someone who on mother's day would say "You should love your mother every day"

Old 03-30-2019, 09:59 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Yes, I’ve witnessed this with my family. I think it’s very inappropriate regardless of age. Every kid deserves to feel special on their birthday without someone stealing the spotlight. Is this becoming a trend giving a small gift to a sibling as well when it’s not their birthday? Kids need to learn the world doesn’t revolve around them and be happy for others celebrating milestones such as birthdays
I don't think it is appropriate, but at the same time, I don't think it steals the spotlight or anything like that.

However, I think that if someone wants to give someone a gift (age appropriate, thoughtful, they are not weirdly obsessed with the kids, etc), it's rude to give them a hard time about it.

Old 03-30-2019, 10:05 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
No birthday gift for the non-birthday siblings, but I do recommend allowing them to have a slice of the birthday cake (but not their own smash cake)

This "everyone is always a winner no matter how they perform" mentality is doing a lot of damage to our country.

Old 03-30-2019, 10:20 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

This "everyone is always a winner no matter how they perform" mentality is doing a lot of damage to our country.
I totally agree with this, but I don't think having a birthday is some special achievement or performance.

Old 03-30-2019, 10:38 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
I think it's crazy. Kids need to learn giving as well as receiving. Not every day is their birthday, sometimes we celebrate milestones with other people.

Instead of receiving a small gift, the sibling of the birthday child should be happily shopping for a small gift for their sibling.

Giving should also be a joy!

Old 03-30-2019, 10:56 AM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Instead of receiving a small gift, the sibling of the birthday child should be happily shopping for a small gift for their sibling.
How does receiving a gift prevent someone from also giving a gift?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting