Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2019, 12:48 PM

776 posts, read 394,418 times

Advertisements

For example, would you let them drink at a younger age on a vacation to a country with a younger drinking age?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2019, 12:55 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
My kids (now adults) know that in our life choices- The mantra: Where ever you are there you be. So with that concept in mind, They are accountable. Location doesn't dictate what is acceptable.

While some countries allow pot smoking, drinking and even some behavior less becoming of their home life, they know that ultimately "testing" that boundary comes with consequences.

Customs may be in tact for that area of visiting....doesn't mean my kids HAD to try it. It could be acknowledged, viewed and respected without participating.

So would I allow it? Probably not. Would they allow it for themselves....most likely. They also would have dealt with the "talk" on that choice.

Old 03-30-2019, 07:52 PM

325 posts, read 207,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguitar77111 View Post
For example, would you let them drink at a younger age on a vacation to a country with a younger drinking age?

Absolutely not. Underage in the USA was underage everywhere else as far as we were concerned. We did not think it was wise to let kids think they can "cut loose" when abroad. If anything they should be respectful.

Just as they are now over 18 and adults, they frequently travel abroad. We have told them that we love them, but when they CHOOSE to travel to "questionable" destinations... if negative events happen there will be NO effort or extra money from us spent to rescue or bail them out.

Even now I've had union reps...etc. tell me about all the folks that have traveled to states like Colorado on vacation and decided to "live a little" and try pot...only to be drug tested at work when they got back, fail the test and went on to lose their job.

Last edited by CentralUSHomeowner; 03-30-2019 at 08:02 PM..

Old 03-30-2019, 07:55 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,607,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralUSHomeowner View Post
Absolutely not. Underage in the USA was underage everywhere else as far as we are concerned. We did not think it is wise to let kids think they can "cut loose" when abroad. If anything they should be respectful.

Just as they are now over 18 and adults, they frequently travel abroad. We have told them that we love them, but when they CHOOSE to travel to "questionable" destinations... if negative events happen there will be NO effort or extra money spent to rescue or bail them out.

Even now I've had union reps...etc. tell me about all the folks that have traveled to states like Colorado on vacation and decided to "live a little" and try pot...only to be drug tested at work when they got back, fail the test and went on to lose their job.
Like it or not, Uncle Sam's long arms and iron fist reach out overseas as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extrat...l_jurisdiction

Old 03-31-2019, 09:14 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,726,143 times
Yes. My son is 18 and when he went to Australia with friends, he had a couple beers and told me about it. My reaction was cool, why didn't you try Australian beer, though? (He had Coronas, LOL!) At that age, of course he is allowing it for himself. I wasn't there and he's a legal adult. However if we were in Europe when he was 16 and he wanted a beer, I'd have let him have one. And if he went to Amsterdam and smoked pot, as long as he's the legal age there, fine, whatever.

And when we have exchange students here, they are not allowed to drink even if it's allowed in their home countries. You follow the law of where you are.

When in Rome, and all that.

Old 03-31-2019, 11:37 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
What my kids are and are not allowed to do have less to do with local laws and more to do with what I think is right and wrong.

So location is largely irrelevant.

Once they are 18 and/or out of my sight, they will have to make the decisions on their own. They will also have to deal with the consequences.

Old 03-31-2019, 08:57 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,780,482 times
I don't know why people insist on making such a HUGE deal about alcohol! Forbid it, and preach against it, and threaten kids about it, and it becomes much more attractive than it is.

Let your kids try a sip of wine, or a sip of beer, when you are having ONE, and it becomes no big deal.

So yes, if I were say taking a cruise with my 18 yr old kid, I would let them have a bit of alcohol. Just a little.

I would not let them smoke marijuana, even where it's legal, because I believe that even getting high once has permanent bad effects upon the brain, especially of young people. So my attitude towards marijuana is, "When you are a completely self-supporting individual, you can do what you want. But as long as you are dependent upon me financially in any way whatsoever, you will not do any drugs. If you do, you forfeit my financial support."

So I guess that I agree with the above poster. Location is largely irrelevant. As long as they're living on my dime, they follow my rules. A little alcohol - no big deal. Drugs - congratulations! You're all grown up and financially independent, my child who is over 18! (If they're under 18, they're still my dependent - and they're passing frequent drug tests, or they're in a psych hospital for drug rehab, their choice.)

Old 04-01-2019, 10:10 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,916,019 times
Quote:
yes. I have fond memories of German beer tasting with my then 18 and 17 year olds.

Old 04-01-2019, 12:19 PM

801 posts, read 615,344 times
Quote:
I let them do that at home; it's not illegal to let my children have wine occasionally. Other than that, I don't know what else... the things I can think of would be more having them tolerate something they wouldn't be expected to tolerate at home.

Old 04-01-2019, 12:38 PM

38 posts, read 21,084 times
I would look my child's personality first, if he turns out to be wise beyond his age, in terms of being responsible, then I'm okay if he would like to have a sip of wine when in different location, as long as he's aware of the consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting