Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 08:21 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times

Advertisements

One of the 4 horsemen
Conquest famine plague and death
The desire to dominate others is where it starts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2019, 09:13 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Wait, what? You do realize, in the case of livestock, humans are ALWAYS the bullies? We use them as animal slaves, and keep them penned up in inhumane conditions for our future food. (not that I'm a vegetarian, or necessarily dislike people who own horses, but I do realize this truth).

I really don't think you can consider a horse who is defending himself against this incarceration "bullying" the human, or a bull who trampled a human to death as a "bully".

They are ALL, ALL of them, victims striking back against their abusers.

Lets get something cleared up here. NEVER in my entire life have I abused a horse or any animal. Nor have I considered a horse a "slave." As I see it when I'm in the saddle the horse and I have an agreement. My primary working horse and I were buddies. With any horse my policy was to make being caught up and handled a pleasure.

Brushing , scratching the itches, getting treats, and then better treatment after riding. Horses that bite kick or strike need correction. That doesn't mean beating them either. You say you "know the truth?" I don't think so. Horse handling is all about patience, understanding and developing TRUST. Above all else.

Wow. Just wow. You are seriously misinformed. But if you're going to have horses they have to have manners. They're to big not to. In order to accomplish that one has to think like a horse. As far as being penned up my horses got ridden. They got out and played. They had a job. A horse needs to have a job. And that job needs to be rewarding.

Defending themselves against incarceration? Oh please! My horses were well fed, healthy, sleek and pampered. And, especially one in particular, were my friends. I trusted my little bay mare more than I did my wife. And she trusted me. And without knowing a damn thing about me you accuse me of betraying that trust? Who do you think you are?

Whew! Having trouble wrapping my brain around this......

Old 05-20-2019, 05:10 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,567,273 times
Quote:
I stood up for that kid. Almost got suspended too because the bully reported me to the principal because I threaten to harm him. So yeah, the irony....The bully reported me in for bullying him. Luckily, my teachers stood up for me and spoke on my behalf.
You serious? The bully turned into a coward and reported you because you took up for the handicapped boy. Goes back to what I said about bullies being cowards. I'm glad it worked out in your favor.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:06 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,266,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Lets get something cleared up here. NEVER in my entire life have I abused a horse or any animal. Nor have I considered a horse a "slave." As I see it when I'm in the saddle the horse and I have an agreement. My primary working horse and I were buddies. With any horse my policy was to make being caught up and handled a pleasure.

Brushing , scratching the itches, getting treats, and then better treatment after riding. Horses that bite kick or strike need correction. That doesn't mean beating them either. You say you "know the truth?" I don't think so. Horse handling is all about patience, understanding and developing TRUST. Above all else.

Wow. Just wow. You are seriously misinformed. But if you're going to have horses they have to have manners. They're to big not to. In order to accomplish that one has to think like a horse. As far as being penned up my horses got ridden. They got out and played. They had a job. A horse needs to have a job. And that job needs to be rewarding.

Defending themselves against incarceration? Oh please! My horses were well fed, healthy, sleek and pampered. And, especially one in particular, were my friends. I trusted my little bay mare more than I did my wife. And she trusted me. And without knowing a damn thing about me you accuse me of betraying that trust? Who do you think you are?

Whew! Having trouble wrapping my brain around this......
all due respect, my cousin's and his father and uncle trained horses all their lives....rode professionally, so I know what she's talking about, they are way too big to allow them to get away with anything, otherwise, like any animal, they learn pretty quick.

your both right in your own ways.....depends on what your needs are? Horses are not to be taken for granted....my ex daughter in law, likes horses as a statue in the field, she doesn't ride, and by now I hope she doesn't b/c she might get seriously injured.....it's been a long time since they've been ridden.....

Old 06-12-2019, 08:32 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 1 day ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,599,037 times
Bullying and Where it Comes From.

Huge topic, but to throw my 2 cts in.

I say it's a combination of (1) Socio-cultural attitudes and (2) family upbringing, (3) institutions children are exposed to, and (4) our basebrain reptilian impulses from the stone age. All four factors are interlinked in a series of feedback loops, often difficult to impossible to separate.

Arguably 1 - 3 are just three different aspects of the same factor. Just what 1 - 3 promote or imprint on children (and even adults) does vary in time and place, often considerably, but that doesn't alter the essentials of 1 - 3. Still 1 -3 is heavily inspired (if not outright controlled) by point 4, though 1 - 3 still can influence the content of 4 to a certain degree.

4, which to a great degree includes contempt for weakness, weirdness, timidity, and low intelligence evolved for survival in a Stone Age environment, not a modern high tech one - where we have other ways of making a living that don't involve self-defense (physical or mental). We modern humans have moved considerably beyond that dog-eat-dog physical existence.

4, and to a great extent the others, also ultimately assumes a cruel, callous future human species is not nearly as bad as no future humanity at all. Long story behind this one, but suffice to say that if this is true, then humans should aspire to be essentially crocodiles with oversized brains and complex tool kits. The intellect, language, body design, functionality and physical appearance may remain that of a human, but we should have a predatory reptilian "soul".

The problem here is that this "freeform fighting" dog-eat-dog paradigm (an implied assumption behind bullying) goes against even the "strongest, smartest, and bravest's" own best interests. Naturally, it's even more detrimental for the middle-rank's own interests.

It creates an atmosphere in which toxic behaviors of all sorts can take root and flourish. In this kind of environment, the winners are the ones who excel at social politics and, turf-wars, and other kinds of in-fighting, as opposed to excelling at actually productive or societally or culturally redeeming tasks. This only delays (if not prevents) the "building of better mousetraps" (or to be more modern, "apps"), which further widen the gap between ourselves and starvation.

Even the "top dogs" / winners would still have to "sleep with one eye open" to be on the lookout against equally predatory rivals who are false friends and others who find being "this" close to the top too tantalizing a temptation to resist - which reduces even their own productive and societally enriching potential. In short, rough competition doesn't bring out the best in us, contrary to "old school" "wisdom" - it merely creates a Hunger Games scenario that hamstrings everyone's potential.

So it is that the only people who benefit from trivializing bullying are those who:

*Can't well compete against the "weak", "weird", "timid", "socially unskilled", etc. under an anti-bullying cultural regime;
*Have too much faith in the rightness of their basebrain reptilian impulses (or cultural attitudes or peers promoting them)
*Too trapped by either in conventional thinking or their reptilian brainstem to see where specifically mainstream society got it wrong all along, plus mistaken cultural values.
*Too lazy to do the hard work of thinking for themselves in instead of letting mainstream society supply their opinions for them.
*Get some kind of social or other personal benefit from bullying and would lose status if they couldn't bully others.

And who just don't care about the well-being of people who are in a less capable social position than themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting