Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 07:43 PM
Caa Caa started this thread

940 posts, read 2,489,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
If you're asking opinions, no. That's helicopter parenting. I went to an out of state college and made it on my own, without my parents. Those were different times, when an 18 year old was widely considered to be an adult.

Also, what if she decided to transfer to another college? Would you move there, too?

Helicopter parenting is being with your kid 24/7 and calling them everyday not living in the same town about 30 mins away
I live 30 miles from my parents and no one ever asks if they are helicopters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Would you still choose the same place if she ends up attending college elsewhere - or transferring?

This decision should be based not on her actions but on the life the two of you want once she moves on with her life.
Yes we would still chose Jax

Old 04-16-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Reminds me of a couple who had a daughter that was getting married. The mother ran everything. Including going with the future son-in-law to pick out his tux.

The kids got married and moved to Florida from Iowa. It took less than six months for mom and dad to follow and buy a house right down the street. Mom ran everything as usual.

The couple had a baby and moved to North Carolina. Yep, mom and dad soon followed.

The couple divorced. Scuttlebutt says the son still loved her, but could not abide having their lives run by mommy dearest.

The daughter moved to Oregon for a new job.

And.....
I am proud to say, as is my husband , that we aren’t even close to wanting to be that way. Like I said we are the parents that are the ones that give quite a lot of freedoms, don’t text her every five minutes, and don’t have a tracker on her phone , so no we wouldn’t be the way that parent was thank goodness

Old 04-16-2019, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Truth. I'm pretty sure my kids would have been appalled if we had moved to their college towns. We had three though, and they all went to different schools, in different states, so it would have been awkward.

Find another town Mom. Within driving distance is fine, but make sure it isn't within a safety zone that will keep your student from independence.

We hate most towns in Florida except that one and she wants to apply there
We’ve discussed the move and she’s all for it because she knows we will leave her to be independent cause that’s how we’ve always been with her

Old 04-16-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WellShoneMoon View Post
Jacksonville is a VERY big place. I think you could move there, if it's where you've decided you'd rather be, and still not be on top of your daughter.

Thanks for your response most are kiNd of negative , but that’s ok and that’s why I asked for opinions ��

Old 04-17-2019, 05:15 AM

3,262 posts, read 5,001,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caa View Post
Thanks for your response most are kiNd of negative , but that’s ok and that’s why I asked for opinions ��
Maybe the negative responses stem from not knowing how large Jacksonville is. If you had said Gainesville, I would agree with the negative posters. Jacksonville is huge, not in population necessarily, but in area. It covers 875 square miles, compared to 55 square miles for Miami, and 113.7 square miles for Orlando.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:17 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
This could be a personal finance thing. It’s way cheaper to live at home than in the dorms. Assuming your kids are smart enough to be accepted, move to a town with a prestigious state school and pay the in-state tuition. 4 years later, your kids graduate with a good education from a school that opens doors and have no student loans.

UCLA is $13k tuition and fees. Berkeley is $14k. UNC is $9k. Move to Chapel Hill and get each kid a top college degree for $50k you pay out of cash flow. Housing is affordable. There is a strong job market.

Most people can’t afford to send their children away to a top school so their kids get saddled with enormous debt that can’t be discharged in bankruptcy. That doesn’t seem like the smart move to me. If you can write the check for tuition, fees, and room & board without trashing your retirement, do whatever you want.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:28 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,805,058 times
Move to the area because it’s where you want to retire. Sure.

Force your kid to live at home because you did? No.
Drop by the dorm to see her uninvited? No.
Insist she come to see you frequently since you’re close by? No.

Follow her lead as to how often she visits and basically act like you’re still 200 miles away? Absolutely.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:32 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
What does your child say?

Old 04-17-2019, 08:19 AM

37,608 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caa View Post
Hi all,

How many parents out there moved to the city where theyre child attenda college? Good idea/bad idea? Thinking about it, but would live far enough away to not be a pain in the ass and be with her all the time as we want her to be on her own as much as possible. We are also thinking of moving away from south florida anyway as we are not happy here and shes considerng jax for college....thoughts??
She's going to COLLEGE. You don't need to be there. If she was NOT going to college in JAX, would you be considering moving there? If so, then fine, move. Otherwise, fahgetaboutit!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting