Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 02:18 PM

21,906 posts, read 9,480,467 times

Advertisements

I think it depends on the items. My mom tossed my barbies from when I was a kid. I took very good care of them and they were in mint condition. Now on EBAY, they costs hundreds of dollars. She also seems to have tossed my rock collection which I loved. So yeah, I would save the stuff that isn't replaceable. Now most of the kids toys break because they are cheap crap made in China.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 02:47 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
I'm curious as to how an entire collection--several, actually--of toys and books could mysteriously get lost. I find this story hard to believe, unless, OP, you mean that the kids, themselves, lost their own stuff through the course of their childhood.

In any case, my experience and observation is, that most parents throw all that stuff away, unless there's an obvious favorite among the stuffed animals, or something. In which case, there'd be no point in replacing it, because as someone else pointed out, it wouldn't be THE cuddly critter the kids grew up with and loved.

Old 05-28-2019, 04:56 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,937,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I think it depends on the items. My mom tossed my barbies from when I was a kid. I took very good care of them and they were in mint condition. Now on EBAY, they costs hundreds of dollars. She also seems to have tossed my rock collection which I loved. So yeah, I would save the stuff that isn't replaceable. Now most of the kids toys break because they are cheap crap made in China.
This post begs the question: why don't young adult take what they want to save when they move out? How long do they expect parents to store their stuff?

I know my brothers were horrified that my parents tossed the Lionel trains when they downsized and moved south, but none of them gave the trains a thought until years later when they became collectable.

Old 05-28-2019, 06:32 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,829,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
This post begs the question: why don't young adult take what they want to save when they move out? How long do they expect parents to store their stuff?

I know my brothers were horrified that my parents tossed the Lionel trains when they downsized and moved south, but none of them gave the trains a thought until years later when they became collectable.
Which begs the question of why the parents didn't let the kids know they were downsizing and if they wanted any of the stuff to come get it?

Old 05-28-2019, 08:53 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,937,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Which begs the question of why the parents didn't let the kids know they were downsizing and if they wanted any of the stuff to come get it?
I can't say I know any parents who downsized without their kids being aware of it. How long exactly are we supposed to store the items they left behind? As I said, I have lots of their childhood toys, and books here, but I'm not saving them for my sons who have shown no inclination to come get them , I'm saving them for future grandchildren. At this point, anything in my house is mine to do with what I want.

Old 05-28-2019, 09:53 PM

500 posts, read 747,907 times
Thanks for the replies so far. To answer a few questions, yes, the kids know these things were lost. It's kind of a complicated story, but they were in my mother's house who has dementia and I had to move her quickly out of a large house. But she had already began giving things away in the garage which included the toys. I was lucky enough to get photos and videos, though. To answer another post, no nothing that was handmade of course, just sentimental favorites is all I would get.

I have asked the kids and they say they understand. Their concern was more for their grandmother and how we have had to figure out a new normal in taking care of her. She has lived with us since they were born. But i think in the long run they would still like something from their childhood. I won't go all out, though. I'll probably just pick up a thing or two if I see it and the price is reasonable.

Old 05-28-2019, 10:00 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,188,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVKim8 View Post
Thanks for the replies so far. To answer a few questions, yes, the kids know these things were lost. It's kind of a complicated story, but they were in my mother's house who has dementia and I had to move her quickly out of a large house. But she had already began giving things away in the garage which included the toys. I was lucky enough to get photos and videos, though. To answer another post, no nothing that was handmade of course, just sentimental favorites is all I would get.

I have asked the kids and they say they understand. Their concern was more for their grandmother and how we have had to figure out a new normal in taking care of her. She has lived with us since they were born. But i think in the long run they would still like something from their childhood. I won't go all out, though. I'll probably just pick up a thing or two if I see it and the price is reasonable.
based on your response to my question about whether they know, the bolded is exactly what I would have said too. Esp. if they had a particular favorite, I might try to replace that if possible, and otherwise, let it go.

And very sorry about your mom, I know how tough being a caregiver for someone with dementia can be.

Old 05-28-2019, 10:54 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,132,037 times
Well, I didn’t save their toys and I’m not interested in replacing the Millennium Falcon or Star Wars characters. Or their Legos.

I imagine the OP’s kids have less sentimentality about their old toys that the OP does.

Old 05-29-2019, 01:35 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,829,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I can't say I know any parents who downsized without their kids being aware of it. How long exactly are we supposed to store the items they left behind? As I said, I have lots of their childhood toys, and books here, but I'm not saving them for my sons who have shown no inclination to come get them , I'm saving them for future grandchildren. At this point, anything in my house is mine to do with what I want.
Well, didn't you say your parents dumped your brothers' trains and they were horrified? Was there no communication? There seems to be a disconnect here.

Old 05-29-2019, 02:24 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,119,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Well, I didn’t save their toys and I’m not interested in replacing the Millennium Falcon or Star Wars characters. Or their Legos.

I imagine the OP’s kids have less sentimentality about their old toys that the OP does.
Probably kid dependent. My grown daughter and I were out shopping a TJMaxx one day where she spotted an Eric Carle book that came with a plush caterpillar. Guess what she asked me to put under the Christmas tree for her that year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting