Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 06:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Yep, that's what I'm talking about. Lincoln & Jackson, too.
Lincoln and Jackson are generally boys' names.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 07:36 PM

898 posts, read 597,322 times
If I were to ever have a son, I would try to sell the naming rights to a fast coffee company so he can be named Dunkin or Starbuck.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:42 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,868,668 times
Daily attendance call at Our Lady of Perpetual Guilt Academy:

"Mary?"
"Here, Sister!"
"Mary?"
"Present, Sister!"
"Mary?"
"Here, Sister!"
"Mary?"
"Yo, Sister!" (SMACK!)
"Mary?"
"Mary?"
"Mary?"
"Does anyone know where Mary is?"
"She's home sick, Sister!"
"Theresa?"
"Present, Sister!"
"Theresa?"
"Here, Sister!"
"Theresa?"...….

Old 06-05-2019, 01:01 AM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
I had a coworker who's wife had a son.... They apparently named him Tristan What. Every time he told some of his son, the other person would say "what's his name?" "Tristan" other person always responded "What?" . Guy was not amused....

My niece named her kids Keely, Armani, and the latest is Luna. Future jobs are probably cashier, male hair stylist, stripper. They all have different last names but most of the fathers go by Convict. True story. You name a female cat Luna. Not your kid.

My sister got caught up in the Madison trend. I think when my niece's teacher asks for Madison, 4 or 5 raise their hand.

My kids have boring Irish names. Bridget Mary and Allison Katherine. One is manager of a college call center. One is a manager at a hotel for a major hotel company. Wife's two kids are David and Rachel. Wife is Stacey. NOT Stacy or Stacie, and never call her Stace. I go by Jim, but my dad and my two living sisters call me Jimmy.

I had a doctor whose last name is Hu. I had a lot of fun with that one.
Them: "What's your doctor's name?"
Me: "Hu."
Them: "Your regular doctor."
Me, very patiently: "Hu. H. U. Over at Kaiser."

I did name a female cat Luna. It suited her perfectly, she was kind of spacey.

And I have two nieces named Madison, about ten years apart, on different sides of the family.

My mom was Catholic, so we all got saints names. In the sixties it seemed really cool to have siblings named Peter, Paul, and Mary.

Old 06-05-2019, 05:12 AM

17,262 posts, read 21,998,333 times
I'd vote against any name that works in this skit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1Fk_mDem4o

Old 06-05-2019, 07:49 AM

2,495 posts, read 1,868,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I had a doctor whose last name is Hu. I had a lot of fun with that one.
Them: "What's your doctor's name?"
Me: "Hu."
Them: "Your regular doctor."
Me, very patiently: "Hu. H. U. Over at Kaiser."

I did name a female cat Luna. It suited her perfectly, she was kind of spacey.

And I have two nieces named Madison, about ten years apart, on different sides of the family.

My mom was Catholic, so we all got saints names. In the sixties it seemed really cool to have siblings named Peter, Paul, and Mary.
There's a doctor in my town named Phuoc Huu Pham. Now, I know Phuoc is pronounced "puck" but still I have to snicker every time I drive by.

"Who's your doctor?"

"Phuoc Huu."

"Well, you don't have to get ugly about it; just tell me his name!!!"

Old 06-05-2019, 07:49 AM

5,449 posts, read 4,042,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Might as well include Taylor, Monroe, Harrison, Tyler, Kennedy and Wilson!

Don't forget McKinley! for a girl, ugh.

Old 06-05-2019, 09:29 AM

4,087 posts, read 2,556,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Don't forget McKinley! for a girl, ugh.
McKynleigh?

Old 06-05-2019, 09:36 AM

1,452 posts, read 1,079,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Remember, when you're naming your child, you're not naming a cute little baby. You're naming a 30 year old in a job interview.
Can't rep you enough for that!

Visualize what your kid's name is going to look like on a resume. Really think about how a hiring manager is going to react.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
And please don't give your children ghetto names. I see this all the time among black parents, giving their children names that end in -isha, -rius, naming their kids exotic sounding names that they can't pronounce, but get upset when folks mispronounce their name.
I'm black, and I thank the stars my parents gave me a "normal" name.

Old 06-05-2019, 10:48 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreetJustice View Post
Its an ugly name.
Well, opinions vary & you are entitled to yours. Even if I am too sensitive, it’s still just a mean thing to say.

My little girl’s name was Jessica. She had five brothers, including a twin brother & I was so excited to finally be able to name my baby girl!

If only she were still here to hear me say her name; the last time her name & therefore her existence, was remembered by another was when I received a letter in the mail for ‘Jessica’ ... the itemized bill from the ambulance service that was accidentally sent to me instead of the insurance company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting