Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 02:03 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Well pee wee football and school football is dwindling.

Moms will not let their boys play football any longer for good reason. How long will it take for this right of passage to die a slow death?

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...p-brain-trauma

You probably mean "parents" rather than "moms," right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 02:40 PM

2,451 posts, read 3,212,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Why would it be more for lacrosse than other sports?
It has a high risk for concussions.

Old 06-04-2019, 02:57 PM
46H

1,650 posts, read 1,398,714 times
Parents do not want their kids to "fall behind" and many parents operate under the delusion that their children will get a college scholarship. Scholarships are pure fantasy. If parents took the money they spent on big time travel programs and all those weekends spent at a some converted cornfield and a Holiday Inn Express, they would be able to pay for a few years of college.

The other fact is that many of these programs are money making operations. Both my kids are decent at soccer, but they only played rec in the fall. However, they both have made their school teams despite not having played travel soccer. I refuse to have them play soccer beyond the fall season. All the travel soccer programs require spring participation in practice and games or you cannot play in the fall. It is silly, but it is a way to justify the fees. This is not unique to soccer as it happens in many youth sports programs. It also causes many kids to get sick of the sport and quit. My kids play lacrosse in the spring (it is not expensive). My oldest also played basketball, rec only and played varsity on his high school team.

Sports are great training for life. It is very similar to a job. The coach may or may not like you for no good reason. You learn how to work with a wide variety of teammates. The most talented teammate might continually forget the plays. You will not always be treated fairly. Sports can teach you how to operate within the framework of a team and how to sacrifice to make the team better. There will be failures, yet you learn to continue to move forward and you will learn the joy of competition and success.

Youth sports are a wonderful thing, but today's version can be over the top.

Old 06-04-2019, 04:38 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times
The time and money involved are why I am relieved that none of my children have ever shown much of interest in sports. That, and the relief of not having to be around some of the parents.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:17 PM

1,013 posts, read 724,244 times
My 13-year old grandson is in a flag football league. He’s played for a few years and really enjoys it. It’s not super-competitive but they love playing with a football. In his locale, it’s a popular alternative to contact sports.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:20 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Eh. All my kids played travel sports, two in baseball and one in hockey. We never pushed it thinking college scholarship, in fact, we never pushed it at all. They liked it, they were good at it, and as long as they wanted to play, we paid. They had plenty of time for friends who weren't involved in sports, but they are still friends with teammates from the middle school years and beyond. We saw far worse behavior on the part of parents with rec teams than with travel teams. No parent would risk being banned from the stands in travel leagues. Maybe our experience was unusual, but the parents were supportive of all the team members.

Sports ARE expensive, and a lot of those costs seem arbitrary, I agree. Players don't need multiple uniforms, matching cleats, and cross-country trips to find teams to play against.

Old 06-04-2019, 09:28 PM

12,831 posts, read 9,029,433 times
It's several things combining into a perfect storm. Fewer high schools mean fewer school teams so the opportunity to play gets a lot less. Then add in the possibility, however remote, of a scholarship. Many parents are hoping for that scholarship and you have to spend large bucks to play in that game, no pun intended.

Both our kids did sports. Between them they did softball, Little League, soccer, school soccer, swim team. Daughter really loved soccer so we did the travel team with her. Fortunately the local club was reasonably priced compared to some of the big clubs in the area. She loved playing and loved her teammates, but we also made the conscious decision that when college time came, she had to focus on her degree. She was actually recruited by a couple of colleges but said no, while several of her teammates did in fact get scholarships to play in college, so for their parents, there was a payoff for them.

When they were little one of the big reasons for putting them in organized sports was that was the only way they were going to get play time outside with their friends. You kind of get pulled along because all the other kids in the neighborhood are on a team, so your kids either play too or sit at home on the Xbox. And it grows from there.

Son did Little League (talk about parents getting over the top), school soccer, and swim team. He was never really competitive in swim, but loved it for the exercise.

Old 06-04-2019, 09:43 PM
46H

1,650 posts, read 1,398,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaxwell View Post
Insurance is a big part of it, probably.
US Lacrosse is a national organization that includes insurance coverage for athletes and coaches who are members. There are 450,000 members in the USA. The yearly fee is $30 for 14 and under and $35 for 15-18. 19 and over is $55 and this usually includes the coaches. Insurance is not a cost issue.
https://www.uslacrosse.org/membership/insurance

Lacrosse
Average: $7,956
Maximum: $17,500

These lacrosse costs mentioned in the Time article from the Utah State survey must be for full year, high level travel to multiple tournaments and lots of indoor practice time and weekends spent in motels.

I am a coach for the local lacrosse program and our spring season costs $200 + the $30 USL membership. That includes 15-20 games (on our home field or within 15 miles), and 1-2 outdoor practices per week. Our program also includes entry into 2 local all day tournaments. The boys obviously spend more than the girls due to the equipment requirements, but there is abundant sharing of equipment as the kids grow. We also provide scholarships for families who cannot afford the fees and discounts for families with multiple children in the program.

Lacrosse is very affordable.

Old 06-04-2019, 10:11 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
US Lacrosse is a national organization that includes insurance coverage for athletes and coaches who are members. There are 450,000 members in the USA. The yearly fee is $30 for 14 and under and $35 for 15-18. 19 and over is $55 and this usually includes the coaches. Insurance is not a cost issue.
https://www.uslacrosse.org/membership/insurance

Lacrosse
Average: $7,956
Maximum: $17,500

These lacrosse costs mentioned in the Time article from the Utah State survey must be for full year, high level travel to multiple tournaments and lots of indoor practice time and weekends spent in motels.

I am a coach for the local lacrosse program and our spring season costs $200 + the $30 USL membership. That includes 15-20 games (on our home field or within 15 miles), and 1-2 outdoor practices per week. Our program also includes entry into 2 local all day tournaments. The boys obviously spend more than the girls due to the equipment requirements, but there is abundant sharing of equipment as the kids grow. We also provide scholarships for families who cannot afford the fees and discounts for families with multiple children in the program.

Lacrosse is very affordable.
Until some "coach" decides to make it a source of income. This is true in many sports and other activities. There is nothing inherently wrong with it as long as those spending the money understand it's not "all for the kids."

Old 06-05-2019, 04:51 AM

47 posts, read 32,375 times
I am glad to see club sports are thriving as I think competitive sports should be removed from public schools.

These kids that get college scholarships; are they letting athletics drive their majors? Here at the local high school, several students received athletic scholarships, most to NAIA colleges that are relatively unknown. I kind of think they let athletics drive their majors. While in high school, maybe they thought they would attend a Division 1 college and major in engineering or another STEM field, but when the athletic scholarship was offered, they dumbed down to still play sports and are now majoring in home economics or something at a much smaller NAIA college.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting