Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 08:18 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times

Advertisements

I didn't save any of my clothes, and it's just as well, since none of my sons would have wanted to wear Mom's old stuff. We do have a family heirloom christening gown from my husband's side. Two of the boys wore it, the third was too tiny. I doubt any future grandchild will be christened, but I've still held onto it.

I do have the outfits each baby wore home from the hospital after birth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2019, 08:40 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralUSHomeowner View Post

We also have all their toys and school papers. Every year each child was given a empty copy paper box to put their items (papers, projects, artwork... etc.) in.
I have all this ^^^.

But saving childhood mementos is different. And the OP asked if you saved YOUR clothing from YOUR childhood for your children to wear.

My sons wanted nothing to do with my Shaun Cassidy shirt and Forenza sweaters.

Old 06-05-2019, 09:33 PM

325 posts, read 207,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
I have all this ^^^.

But saving childhood mementos is different. And the OP asked if you saved YOUR clothing from YOUR childhood for your children to wear.

My sons wanted nothing to do with my Shaun Cassidy shirt and Forenza sweaters.
.......and the answer to that would be yes. My mother passed on to us the finer items we wore from the 60's. Dresses, sweaters, coats w/matching hats, etc. and yes, my kids wore many of the items we wore. Interestingly enough those items she saved for us were still being manufactured and sold when I had kids......just at a much higher price. Even now those same kinds of items are still being made and sold.

Now my kids who adults and professionals really want all our old t-shirts. Whether destination t-shirts or music groups. My husband brought me home some dresses from Greece 35+ years ago that they fight to borrow.

Old 06-06-2019, 07:31 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My MIL saved all of my husband's clothes from his childhood. She offered my daughters a bag of his underwear once. It was really weird.

Depression era people DO get strange (to us) ideas about recycling, reusing, passing on, etc.

My mom is ALWAYS asking me if I want old socks to darn. LOL

"No mother. It's way easy to go to Walmart and buy a bag of socks for a few bucks. I'm good." LOL She also saves tin foil, and reuses Ziploc bags.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:08 AM

6,822 posts, read 10,510,104 times
I've never heard of keeping clothes for your children like that, but my parents did save some books and toys from our childhood. Some of it went to my brother's kids, but a lot of it just didn't age well in the attic. Some of it was given to neighborhood kids and some had to be trashed.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:13 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
I saved some things and my kids had a ball mining it for play around the house and Halloween costumes as teen-agers. One time we were sitting in the living room and fifteen-year old son came down from the attic in Dad's Disco polyester pantsuit with vest, bell bottoms and matching elevated saddle shoes. He'd found a short wig of mine to complement it in the long-haired style of the day. Thought we'd die watching him do a John Travolta imitation for us. Daughter made a fetching gypsy costume from my old hippie clothes one year.

The Prom dresses and wedding dress daughter wasn't interested in. A big problem was size. I was slim and tall and daughter was short and sturdy.

I still have my grandmother's Edwardian handmade crochet wedding dress. Only an anorexic could wear it. She was corseted and had a sixteen inch waist. But it's a lovely piece of art.

I'm glad it was saved and will someday donate it to an appropriate historical society.

It's a real pain as things accumulate but also good that some do collect so that others can afford to declutter. I remember my other grandmother had steamer trunks in her attic full of velvets, satins, furs, hats with ostrich plumes. What a thrill that was to be allowed the rare occasion to rummage through her "treasures."

Old 06-06-2019, 08:22 AM

I think it's a neat idea...but my mom had 5 kids...all of us close in age...and I'm the oldest, so my clothes got passed down to my sisters.

And then I grew up and gave birth to boys...so no one to give my old clothes to anyway.

Looking back, I can remember 2 items of clothing that I would've liked to have, for nostalgic reasons. When I was a toddler...like 1ish and 2ish, I had a pair of blue corduroy pants that had my name embroidered on one leg. I was very fond of those pants.

And I used to have a plaid little jumper when I was 4ish - 5ish. Where I lived, there was a Catholic school nearby, and I'd see the kids walking home from school, and I always thought "That's what kids wear to school".

I was quite excited about school, and being old enough for school FINALLY, and I wanted to wear that little jumper because it looked like a Catholic School uniform...but alas, I had outgrown it. I was REALLY disappointed at the time.

P.S., I'm not Catholic, and at the time, didn't realize that the plaid uniforms were a Catholic thing. I thought it was a 'school' thing.

But anyway, fond memories.

Old 06-06-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I saved some things and my kids had a ball mining it for play around the house and Halloween costumes as teen-agers. One time we were sitting in the living room and fifteen-year old son came down from the attic in Dad's Disco polyester pantsuit with vest, bell bottoms and matching elevated saddle shoes. He'd found a short wig of mine to complement it in the long-haired style of the day. Thought we'd die watching him do a John Travolta imitation for us. Daughter made a fetching gypsy costume from my old hippie clothes one year.

The Prom dresses and wedding dress daughter wasn't interested in. A big problem was size. I was slim and tall and daughter was short and sturdy.

I still have my grandmother's Edwardian handmade crochet wedding dress. Only an anorexic could wear it. She was corseted and had a sixteen inch waist. But it's a lovely piece of art.

I'm glad it was saved and will someday donate it to an appropriate historical society.

It's a real pain as things accumulate but also good that some do collect so that others can afford to declutter. I remember my other grandmother had steamer trunks in her attic full of velvets, satins, furs, hats with ostrich plumes. What a thrill that was to be allowed the rare occasion to rummage through her "treasures."

My grandma had a walk-in closet that was FILLED with wonderful stuff. I bet she had at least 12 hat boxes filled with old-fashion hats, some formals, an old fur stole. My sisters and I would play for hours in that closet. lol

Old 06-06-2019, 09:51 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moore33 View Post
I wonder if it's a commonplace to keep your stuffs for your future children? I've got lots of awesome dresses, t-shirts, shoes and others which still look brand-new ones that my parents used to buy me. So now I dress my girl in it and she looks like a tiny copy of me
Yuck...parents in general who want their kids to be a copy of them have problems and will make problems for their kids as soon as they start to show signs of independence and "differentness".

Also, one they're a bit older they won't want your old clothes regardless of whether they look new. What's also weird is that YOUR parents apparently kept theses clothes with the expectation you'd use them with your own kids? Did you wear your parents clothes?

Old 06-06-2019, 10:07 AM

I used to wear some of my mom's clothes...when we were the same size. Actually, a lot of teenage girls raid their mother's closets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting