U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 10:12 AM

1,041 posts, read 411,948 times

Advertisements

Smarter than my mom, just as smart as my dad. My mom was super competent, though, major street smarts. Zero book smarts. She was more practical than my dad. They made a good pair.

I was fortunate to inherit my dad's smarts and interest in intellectual activities, and my mom's practical abilities. I can do anything I set my mind to. The hard part when I was young was finding something to set it to! Never did that very well, unfortunately, especially when it came to a career path. But I have interesting hobbies now.

My daughter and husband are practically the male and female versions of the exact same person. They're both intelligent in the same way - languages, people smarts, word play. Very different from me - I'm the scientist type.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 10:46 AM

775 posts, read 775,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Do you feel that you are/were smarter than your parents, and are your kids smarter than you?
I think I am far more intelligent, by which I mean book smart. I have a doctorate level degree and they were both high school educated. They lived paycheck to paycheck and I have more financial security.

However, if you mean wisdom. My father was a military man who lived a hard life. He was far more street smart than me. He had to be. My mom was able to make dollars stretch and give us a lot without a lot of money. In this regard, both were light years ahead of me.

My children are still in school, but both seem to have my booksmarts.

Old 06-17-2019, 11:46 AM

13,028 posts, read 9,073,336 times
AS said by others, there are all kinds of smart.

Superficially, I am smarter than my mom was. My kids are smarter than me. The 3 grandkids are in grad school and way smarter than all of us. And they did it on scholarships. Tuition paid for from bachelor degrees on up.

But no-one is as smart as my 8th grade educated maternal grandfather.

Old 06-17-2019, 12:11 PM

6,861 posts, read 8,312,414 times
If you're asking about intelligence, as measured by IQ, I don't know how I compare to my parents. I have multiple degrees. They have none. It's not because they were not intellectually capable of college, but because that was not part of their background, an expectation, etc. I figure my intelligence came from them-same with my siblings. I do suspect I'm a bit more intelligent though in some ways.

Our children are definitely more intelligent than my husband and me. To me, this is where the "nurture" part of intelligence has played a role. We gave them many more opportunities (books, puzzles, games, etc.) to fully develop their brains than either my husband or I had.

Regarding the post above about the "nature" piece of intelligence: interesting stuff. Years and years ago I did some research on the role of the father in a child's intelligence and educational achievement. There wasn't much research available at that time. What I did find then, and more recent research has shown, is that a father has a greater impact on daughter's intelligence than a son's when it comes to the "nurture" aspect of intelligence. I know that my husband's attention to our daughter played a big role in her educational interests and achievement.

Old 06-17-2019, 02:24 PM

8,269 posts, read 4,503,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Yes - there are so many variables - emotional intelligence, intellect, self-awareness, common sense, practical skills, specialized skills, etc.
And...... experience.

Old 06-17-2019, 02:31 PM

7,238 posts, read 3,448,457 times
Both my parents ..smarter.
Both my kids...smarter.
Guess I helped make them realize just how intelligent they are...when they see how slow I am to grasp certain concepts or apply techniques.
I do have trades skills ...which takes some intelligence.
In computer terms ...I'm a tandy word processor lol! While they are MAC computers.

Old 06-17-2019, 04:51 PM

15,229 posts, read 11,274,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Well my mother is a cardio vascular/ thoracic surgeon and my dad is a lawyer.. so they’re probably smarter.
I am smarter than my future kids though. Lol
Lol!

Old 06-17-2019, 05:10 PM

2,196 posts, read 903,096 times
My dad is smart with machinery and tools and fixing things and such.

Can't tell with my mom. The only jobs she's ever had were dishwasher and seamstress. I've always wondered if she were exposed to more experiences in life, like joining a club or a church, she could've unlocked more innate abilities, like planning or administration or something else. Who knows.

Old 06-17-2019, 05:25 PM

15,229 posts, read 11,274,069 times
Yeah, I agree that there's no real across-the-board way to rate this.

This is probably going to sound like I'm bragging, but keep reading and you'll see that I'm not. lol I always did really well in school. Always got straight A's, and they were always pushing to place me in advanced classes and skip grades, etc. I always kept trying to tell them that they were wrong, I knew I wasn't that smart. Inside, I felt like a fraud.

Because in "real life," I do some of the stupidest, most embarrassing things. I'm telling you, I can't leave the house without experiencing some cringe-inducing dumb move. I'm not quick on my feet figuring the most basic of things out. I'm trying to think of examples, but just anything; checking out at the store, directions, etc. I always bungle things somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
My husband is very bright also, but he is the "absent minded professor." He can fix anything but can't remember to stop and pick up milk on the way home.
Lol. I always brag (jokingly) to my SO that I'm like Einstein. I read somewhere that, with his brilliant mind, he would get lost crossing a campus or something like that. Of course, he laughs uproariously at my comparison. I also say that I'm like an idiot-savant, heavy on the idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I've watched Jeopardy with my dad since I was a kid. Now we text back and forth while watching from different states. He claims I'm now smarter but there are some categories I don't even bother with. When we get together we love a good battle of wits or trivia.

My dad will always be the smartest person I know.
Same here. Never went to college or anything, but he was always reading (reading was big in our family, actually). He was incredibly knowledgeable and talented. He was smart both technically and artistically. He could design and build anything, it seemed. Any subject that came up, he was knowledgeable in it. Terrrible with people, though. lol

Every time we would visit him, he would have Jeopardy on. Some of my proudest moments were when I knew the answer and my dad didn't. (Didn't happen often.)

My mom is plenty smart, but she's very good with people. Everywhere I go, people are always telling my what a great person my mom is and how much they love her. Which makes me think, What am I, chopped liver? No, I'm kidding. It makes me feel very proud.

She's also got a very quick wit, even in her 80s. We've always played off each other in conversation. Even now, she'll come up with a really good retort or observation about something, usually in a less-than-pleasurable situation, and then we'll both laugh ourselves silly. It's great.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:56 PM

4,997 posts, read 2,219,015 times
i am smarter than my Father, and equal to my Mother.
my son is smarter than my wife and i in "certain subjects".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or