U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 07:40 PM

24,997 posts, read 16,082,538 times

Advertisements

In terms of IQ, I think my parents and my sisters and I are about equal. My middle sister was definitely the best student of us three, however. All of us in my birth family are/were pretty smart, but none of us was a genius.

One of my kids is probably smarter than the other two, but none of them are dumb. All of my kids have advanced degrees. I never saw any of their IQs so I don’t know how to compare them. We all have such different abilities.

One of the surprises in my family is one of my grands. She is obviously extremely bright. She has excellent language and reading skills, comprehension, curiosity, amazing memory and ability to reason. She really did not have to be taught to read; she sort of got the hang if it and zoomed ahead of her classmates. But it is her curiosity and retention that catches my attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 12:12 AM

13,312 posts, read 5,424,575 times
What a fascinating conversation. I enjoyed every bit of it.

Old 06-18-2019, 06:36 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,397,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Do you feel that you are/were smarter than your parents, and are your kids smarter than you?
I have a much higher fluid intelligence (ability to solve new problems, use logic in new situations, and identify patterns), but I'd say my father's crystallized intelligence (ability to use learned knowledge and experience) is better. It's not uncommon for him to be able to apply a simple thing that most people learned & had forgotten from grade school in a practical way. He's fairly handy and can fix all sorts of things be it electrical, mechanical, or architectural. I seem to remember he used to build things without blueprints & they always turned out. On the other hand if I were to start talking quantum physics with him he'd probably be lost in no time.

However, he had the benefit an excellent traditional education. My own was middle of the road (almost everything else was self taught), but I quickly advanced beyond my teachers, professors, and peers. I spent a lot of time not paying attention in class so I'm sure that had an impact as well. I got waitlisted at an Ivy, but it was sort of a joke on my part because I was tired of school and already planning on going to art school. See smart people do dumb things too!

My mother is less intelligent if I had to guess, but she has a mix of the two types. She has never seemed all that ambitious, but has a Master's so who knows?

Not sure on the IQ. I tested at genius level. And if you pair that with my obsessive approach to learning (it isn't uncommon for me to reach the same level of expertise as someone who has been in their field for 20 years in a matter of months) then I'd say, yes. In some ways I'd say I am smarter, but in others it isn't as clear.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:51 AM

6,643 posts, read 5,694,381 times
Oldest daughter was always extremely intelligent, but it's her kids (my grandsons) that downright scare me. Oldest (aged 5) just completed Kindergarten and is in the school's chess club (he goes to a private school for gifted students). He's in the 99th percentile for math and 98th for reading (technically, he's almost a year younger than the other students in his class). Skipping grades is not only permitted, it's encouraged at that school. He was reading fluently and writing at age three and DD tried, to no avail, to have him accepted into Kindergarten at age four (he just missed the cuftoff by 3 months) in their district.

Their district principal was extremely uncooperative, even though grandson passed the psychological exams and criteria. The superintendent recommended "holding him back" so he'd be bigger to play sports AS IF. My grandson hates athletic activities and sports, as does his mother (though his dad was on the fencing and swim teams). The private school tested his IQ, accepted him, and he's flourished. They were up front...if you want your child to obtain an athletic scholarship, this isn't the school for you. Academics are stressed, not sports. Gym class isn't even mandatory in the uipper grades.

He's really into astronomy...he can recite all the dwarf planets in the solar system, and most of the planet's moons. He started taking Chinese and Spanish this year, and he keeps bugging me to teach me chess. Checkers is more my speed. His little brother (aged 2 1/2) can recite and identify the alphabet, count to 30, identify colors and shapes, and can read simple words. You have to pass that criteria just to enter Kindergarten.

I think we're in big trouble keeping up with these guys. I don't know if it's their upbringing (limited TV, daily extra academic work, no video games, no sugar or junk food, organic vegetarian diet?) I watch them during the summer and try to keep them "grounded", though and introduce lots of fun (hey, that's learning, too).

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 06-18-2019 at 09:17 AM..

Old 06-18-2019, 09:36 AM

915 posts, read 744,985 times
I think my parents and I are about the same. 1 of my 3 kids is definitely significantly smarter. The other 2 are about the same.

My husband is stronger in math-related areas but he's really dumb in others. That 1 kid seems to have inherited the best from both of us.

Old 06-18-2019, 11:22 AM

38,825 posts, read 47,752,715 times
My father’s side were established in businesses before they even came to the US. My mother’s side were Swedish farmers without much education. I definitely feel smarter than my mother’s family, but I was raised in the 1950s and 60s, and neither of my parents felt like my education was very important.

So I feel I’m smarter, but fell way short of reaching my potential. Thankfully, my children and grandchildren are all smart and college educated.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:03 PM

3,967 posts, read 4,885,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Do you feel that you are/were smarter than your parents, and are your kids smarter than you?
I am not smarter than my father, but I am generally a bit smarter than my mother.

I am smarter than my kids (teens) but they remember more "school knowledge" than I do. But in a general sense, I'm still smarter because they have so much still to learn. I'm sure someday they'll surpass me because I'll get to a point where I'll get sick of having to learn new stuff, but not yet.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:20 PM

4,574 posts, read 3,651,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post

My mother is less intelligent if I had to guess, but she has a mix of the two types. She has never seemed all that ambitious, but has a Master's so who knows?
Some women, myself included, are bright and well educated, but have no great interest in a career and are happy to stay home and raise their children. Often when the children are grown, they end up pursuing their passion and go on to make their mark. Intelligence and career have not always correlated for women.

Old 06-21-2019, 05:59 AM

1,527 posts, read 1,397,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
Some women, myself included, are bright and well educated, but have no great interest in a career and are happy to stay home and raise their children. Often when the children are grown, they end up pursuing their passion and go on to make their mark. Intelligence and career have not always correlated for women.
My mother was a career woman and is probably more intelligent than most, but in our family that doesn't really mean a whole lot.

If I had to make a guess on IQ it'd probably be somewhere around the 120-130 range.

Although her career was picked simply because that was what another family member did for a living. She starts hobbies & then stops them a short time later. Watches a lot of TV, reads, does housework, and occasionally helps out with family member's kids. When she retired she even wanted to stop keeping the house up & cooking, but we wouldn't let her as the studies show people who go from working to doing nothing in retirement don't live very long. Not to mention switching from non-processed to a diet of fast food is so unhealthy.

Old 06-21-2019, 03:40 PM

26,130 posts, read 9,726,511 times
Smart??? Many think they "know it all" and it's all the peer pressure and SOCIAL MEDIA bombardment....young people don't know what to believe. They are so confused and many hurting themselves with all the "cwap" out there and flung at them.

My parents were very smart and no college and lived into 90's and of course none of what is out there today.

There is book smart and there is common sense smart which goes a long way thru our lives, good ole common sense.

Last edited by jaminhealth; 06-21-2019 at 03:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or