U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 01:42 PM

959 posts, read 776,477 times

Advertisements

My parents were pretty intelligent, so I take after them in the areas of common sense and intelligence. My pops was a Maintenance Supervisor and mom was a School Administrator. They always stressed to me to be better than them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2020, 02:41 PM

4,970 posts, read 1,475,528 times
My dad was pretty smart. He worked as a BioChemist for Boeing in the 60's and 70's. He taught me to love fish and fishing. As part of his job he used rainbow trout to test water effluent after a treatment process. He was able to bring the fish home after being tested. We also had a natural spring on our property and a friend and I dug trout ponds and raised fish in them.
Years later I got a degree in fish technology and turned that into a 30+ year career with Oregon Fish and Wildlife. I got all of that from my dad, but I never considered myself smarter then him. My mom was a different story. If my dad's IQ was 140 to 150, hers was about 120. I was definitely smarter then her. To top it off, she wasn't a very nice woman, but that's a different story.
My daughter is a bit smarter then me. Her boy friend is way smarter then me.

Old 02-07-2020, 02:01 PM

73 posts, read 11,465 times
We all have our own skills, talents, and accomplishments. If I had to choose the brightest of the bunch, it would likely be my mother whose intelligence, frankly, intimidates me. I don't believe any of us are intellectual slouches, but my mother is top of the heap by far.

Old 02-08-2020, 07:25 AM

9,099 posts, read 5,551,730 times
My parents were both smart, but much more black-and-white in their thinking than I am. I’d say I’m probably the same level of intelligence... but I am more responsible and made/make wiser choices. My children are also very intelligent, each with their own strengths. The difference is they will have more opportunities and support than I did.

Old 02-10-2020, 03:07 PM

26,336 posts, read 19,518,349 times
I don't have any kids. My IQ is higher than that of my parents, but again, the expectations were just so different, especially from my dad's family. My dad grew up with an alcoholic father and a difficult to deal with mother. It's tough to compare.

Our lifestyles are completely different. They got married in college and tried having kids early. I've never been married. They've never lived more than an hour or so from where we grew up in Tennessee aside from a brief stint in NC and him in FL as a kid. At one point, I had lived in six different states in six years.

I definitely think I'm much more engaged with the world. I'm constantly on the internet reading about different things, places, and lifestyles. I travel a lot. I get bored here in Tennessee, especially this time of year. I've been kind of daydreaming about moving again, even though life appears to be falling into place, in many respects.

Old 02-10-2020, 06:49 PM

13,673 posts, read 8,223,902 times
Well, my Dad is a systems engineer, though he did not go to college, he learned beginning in the Navy and after that he self-educated, and got certs. He has been head honcho on some pretty big jobs. Sometimes if you get the right opportunities and stay in one field for years and years, companies will be willing to overlook a lack of college degree.

But he lacks common sense in some areas...drinking and driving being probably the one I judge him most harshly for. He's an alcoholic with a temper. And he's been swayed by some talk radio propaganda that I don't think is very smart, and doesn't bother to fact check tons of stuff he repeats, at all. Some of his life decisions are pretty questionable. For his family background though, he's leaps and bounds ahead of where his parents ever were.

My Mom is so severely mentally dysfunctional...it's hard to believe she has two Masters degrees. She does, though. But it's odd, I feel like some people (stupidly) make a living out of being a student, until they aren't allowed to anymore. She's got mountains of student debt, more than she'll ever repay. And no job. She lives in the middle of nowhere with her cats. She has serious health problems of every kind imaginable. But for as far back as I can recall, she's created problems of a magnitude I can barely wrap my head around. Too big for me to help with, unless I'm willing to just let her destroy my life, too.

So...smarter? More educated? I guess, technically. My Dad knows a lot of things I don't, and my Mom has forgotten more than I'll ever know. I have more college than my Dad and less than my Mom. Neither, in my opinion, is more wise than I feel comfortable claiming of myself, at least today, though.

Now my sons are young adults. I worry myself half to death about them all the time. If they make it though, I'm sure they will become smarter than I, and hopefully more successful...though honestly as long as they are happy, it doesn't matter.

Old 02-11-2020, 05:06 PM

10,187 posts, read 21,639,423 times
My father was a moron. Dropped out of school after 8th grade, only worked for short amounts of time, always blew what money he did have on stupid stuff. He died when I was very young do I don't remember him but his side of the family hardly impressed me.

My mom was a voracious reader and great with money. She never moved beyond being a nurse but I think her traditional Southern Christian culture made her very timid.

My IQ is supposedly in to 100 to 110 range, very high in reading comprehension but below average in math. I strive to be well rounded and have a lot of geeky intellectual interests. So I'm probably of similar intelligence to my mother but a lot beyond my father.

Old 02-13-2020, 04:12 AM

137 posts, read 44,656 times
I dont think they are smarter. I think they are more informed. There is a lot of good with the Internet.

Old 02-13-2020, 08:24 AM

8,816 posts, read 2,178,870 times
My mom has a higher IQ (141) than I do (132), but I don't know what my father's IQ was because he died when I was four months old. However, he won his city's high school spelling bee, and I won my high school's spelling bee!

I had no biological children.

Old 02-13-2020, 02:54 PM

1,060 posts, read 282,651 times
Kids are expected to know more earlier on in life than they did in my generation and my parents generation. My kindergartener has homework every night. I didn’t have any.

I also think kids today do more sitting around than my and my parents generation. We didnt have the internet sucking up our time and it seems like it was safer 50 years ago. So many rules for kids today. You hear news about kids getting killed and abducted and you don’t want to let them outside alone. That means you keep them inside. Electronics are inside so they end up accessing them. Do all these electronics make people dumber? I really don’t know but no think they provide constant entertainment and people and kids have trouble entertaining themselves without them when the time comes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or