U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 08:25 AM

10,230 posts, read 11,360,356 times

Advertisements

Neither one of my parents graduated HS. They are street and financially smart, but it was a struggle to teach them how to use a iPhone, or send email.

My sister is a Dr at a leading Boston area hospital, and I'm an engineering manager for a high-tech company. My wife has two master's degrees.

I hope my kids are smarter than us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2020, 12:43 PM

1,059 posts, read 282,651 times
Having two masters degrees doesn’t necessarily mean someone is smart. They just did a lot of schooling.

Old 02-18-2020, 04:15 PM

13,673 posts, read 8,223,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Kids are expected to know more earlier on in life than they did in my generation and my parents generation. My kindergartener has homework every night. I didn’t have any.

I also think kids today do more sitting around than my and my parents generation. We didnt have the internet sucking up our time and it seems like it was safer 50 years ago. So many rules for kids today. You hear news about kids getting killed and abducted and you don’t want to let them outside alone. That means you keep them inside. Electronics are inside so they end up accessing them. Do all these electronics make people dumber? I really don’t know but no think they provide constant entertainment and people and kids have trouble entertaining themselves without them when the time comes.
Pet peeve of mine. It SHOULDN'T be that electronics make anyone dumber. Like, we've got Google now, folks. We've got video tutorials on how to do anything. We have maps at our fingertips to tell us how to go anywhere. We've got answers to any question that might pop into our brains, at the click of a mouse. Recipes, the ability to do any conversion or math equation or translate any language into any other language. MIT has put all of their course content out there for literally FREE to anybody who wants it. I taught myself how to build computers. My son has taught himself stop motion animation, Java coding, how to play guitar, and some Russian and Korean, just because he felt like it.

But he still texted me to ask how long he should boil an egg.

I remember a time before the great ubiquitous internet and everybody having all the answers right there. I remember just not knowing stuff and not knowing how to find out. Having access to this feels so powerful, you know? We should be godlike in our intelligence.

But I guess in a way, we kind of outsource the work to computers that our brains used to do. I remember having lots of phone numbers memorized. Now I don't. My cell phone remembers them all for me. Stuff like that. And of course there's a lot of misinformation out there, and some people will suck that up and cling to belief of it.

Old Yesterday, 10:49 AM

16,399 posts, read 7,734,936 times
Nobody in my family came close to my dad. My kids maybe smarter, but at this point we’re not really sure.

Old Today, 01:44 AM

2,201 posts, read 1,048,003 times
My parents both have master's degrees and I only have a bachelor's. In all likelihood, I will never go back to school --- my field only really cares about your experience and skills, not your credentials.

In terms of raw intelligence, we're all probably about the same. But I think I have a greater curiosity about the world and am more interested in listening to strange, unintuitive theories, whereas they're better at making their knowledge lucrative and have better entrepreneurial skills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or