Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 08:38 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,144,062 times

Advertisements

Depends.
My daughters IQ scores in language arts blow the rest of the family out of the water, her scores in some other areas were ... not so great.
My mom and my kids' father excel in emotional IQ, although neither are very intellectual and have poor educations.
My dad was a computer programming pioneer and my son is a computer engineer who tests very well in abstract thinking .
Me, I'm somewhere in the middle, smarter on some thing than some family members, not so much on others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2019, 10:24 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Depends.
My daughters IQ scores in language arts blow the rest of the family out of the water, her scores in some other areas were ... not so great.
My mom and my kids' father excel in emotional IQ, although neither are very intellectual and have poor educations.
My dad was a computer programming pioneer and my son is a computer engineer who tests very well in abstract thinking .
Me, I'm somewhere in the middle, smarter on some thing than some family members, not so much on others.
Yes - there are so many variables - emotional intelligence, intellect, self-awareness, common sense, practical skills, specialized skills, etc.

Old 06-15-2019, 01:11 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
Not sure. I want quite 3 when my dad passed but I believe I've got his heart and that's worth more than gold. My mom was very conniving. Smart but....misdirected?
I have a son who has test scores (including ASVAB) of the charts. Mine are high but no one's are as high as his. He's doing well enough. Probably not getting all he could out of life but he's got a ways to go. I love him and am proud of him.
Youngest? I'm astounded at the word play he and his friends engage in. I can never keep up. He's a great hearted guy.
I'll say yep - my boys are smarter than I. At least we should all hope that for our kids.

Old 06-15-2019, 02:08 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
If we're going by IQ scores, then yes, I have a higher IQ than either of my parents, though my dad's IQ was close to mine and I'd say we were intellectual equals. He was wiser than me though.

My mom was problematic and felt threatened by me all my life. She was a beautiful, eloquent woman but she simply was not particularly intelligent. She came across that way at first because her verbal skills were good and she was so attractive, but it didn't take long around her to realize that she simply wasn't particularly bright, which is a pity because she was living in a house with my dad and me and we were constantly debating, discussing, playing word games together, etc.

My mother was reserved too - it took me many years to realize that when she was being quiet and observing (which was most of the time) it wasn't because she was so astute - it was because she wasn't keeping up with the conversation. She was, however, observing and figuring out how she could get and retain power in any relationship.

It took me till well into my twenties, probably my thirties, before I really grasped that Mom felt threatened by my intelligence, and by my bond with my intelligent dad - he and I also had similar personalities and interests and so we always got along well, but my mom often resorted to throwing her power around, and that was frustrating to me because often SHE JUST DIDN'T MAKE SENSE. I wanted things to be logical, and she simply wasn't logical. But she had power, and she wielded it often.

The sad thing was that she ended up as a widow with dementia, and was reliant on me - a dubious honor that I never sought out and certainly didn't want. It was such an emotional struggle to try to help her - even less ability to reason with her, and I knew that all she really wanted was her old life with my dad back, which was impossible to give her. Ironically, the last few years of his life, my dad had finally had enough, and my mom wasn't as beautiful as she used to be either, so while she was more and more dependent on my father, he was more and more resentful of her and her increasing needs, paranoias, irrational thought patterns, aging, etc.

Often in her last year of life, she would slip and call me by my father's name - and I'm very definitely and obviously a woman. She also would talk about how we were married. After a while, I just let that all go and let her say what she wanted but I always did think that was an interesting Freudian slip.

My mother also struggled with Type 1 bipolar disorder, so not only was she less intelligent than me, she was also mentally ill. So unfortunately I can't say that she was wiser than me (I can say that about my dad though). I wish I could, but honestly, though I miss my dad terribly, I feel more sorrow than longing when I think of my mother.

I have four natural kids and a stepson and they are all adults. They vary widely when it comes to IQ scores. Ironically, my oldest daughter, whose IQ score is just a smidgen above average, is very gifted verbally, and she also has excellent and very strong values. So I'd say that out of all my kids, she's definitely the wisest, and she's also one of the few people I've ever known who can give me a run for the money with a game of Boggle!

My oldest son has the highest IQ of all my kids - close to mine - and he is dyslexic, so that's an interesting dichotomy. He is also definitely squirrelly and thinks differently from most people.

My youngest daughter and youngest son have never had their IQs tested but I would bet that they are slightly above average score wise. They are too young to be particularly "wise." But my youngest daughter is very, very gifted artistically and my youngest son is very driven to succeed career wise, with not an artistic bone in his body! (Three of my four adult kids are very artistic, as were my parents, and me as well.)

My stepson was always an honor student with great grades and academic scholarships but I would guess that he is of average intelligence and above average drive.

My husband is my intellectual equal and I also believe he is wise. He is also more gifted artistically than he gives himself credit for, especially musically. In fact, his mother refused to allow him to take music or voice lessons because she was "afraid he would get famous and go to Nashville." That is the truth, and a story for another day! LOL

It was important to me to have a mate who is as intelligent as I am because I need that challenge and stimulation in my life.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 06-15-2019 at 02:20 PM..

Old 06-15-2019, 08:22 PM

9,511 posts, read 6,101,553 times
No, I am not smarter than either my parents or my kids but that is based on my personal belief that being ‘smart’ is not just all about how you succeed but also how well you avoid compromising yourself in life.

My IQ is high. You could even say it is very high but I am astoundingly adept at shooting myself in the foot. It’s not poor decision making but a lack of making decisions, period.

What I am good at, is the comeback. I ‘bounce’; when I fall, I get back up in a big way. Nonetheless, I would be much more impressive if I had just not kept falling in the first place.

My parents understood & appreciated my quirky intelligence in spite of all that but my kids are somewhat blind to it. With my oldest now 33 years old, I am hoping to redeem myself with the ‘as I get older my parents get smarter’ phenomena.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:34 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,070,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Do you feel that you are/were smarter than your parents, and are your kids smarter than you?

This is a tricky question because we are smart in different ways. My parents both have masters degrees and so do I.

However, my father was a pioneer with computers and is a financial wiz; I am not smarter than he is. My strengths were in language. So it isn't that we were smarter than the other; we have different abilities.

As far as my children, it gets even more difficult to say.

My son has multiple learning disabilities. However, his IQ is about 10 points higher than mine. My GPA is higher than his will be, and I took AP classes and graduated from one of the best public universities in the country. However, my son is extraordinarily artistic. He was just accepted to a very prestigious program for young artists. He is also quite philosophical and analytical with an innate curiosity about mechanics and technical things. But he can barely pass math.

My daughter excels in school and her standardized test scores are exceptional. But her IQ is still not quite as high as her brother's.

My husband is very bright also, but he is the "absent minded professor." He can fix anything but can't remember to stop and pick up milk on the way home.

So it really just depends how you look at it.

Old 06-16-2019, 10:16 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
I'm smarter than my parents and my daughter. Parents were immigrants who came from simple peasant stock. My daughter started a family very young and never went past high school. I'm the only one who saw the value of an education and went past high school. I have a bachelor's degree.

Old 06-17-2019, 05:27 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,663,918 times
I am not smarter then my parents but I am better educated, I am wiser then my children but not as well educated.Education doesn't equel intelligence and intelligence doesn't equel wisdom. My parents with a high school diploma only managed to provide a happy, secure, childhood with many many extras to their children in one of the most expensive areas of the country on my father's blue collar union income.

Old 06-17-2019, 07:43 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,081 times
I've watched Jeopardy with my dad since I was a kid. Now we text back and forth while watching from different states. He claims I'm now smarter but there are some categories I don't even bother with. When we get together we love a good battle of wits or trivia.

My dad will always be the smartest person I know.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:41 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,315,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Do you feel that you are/were smarter than your parents, and are your kids smarter than you?
There are all kind of smarts but for IQ:

Intelligence measure by IQ is carried on the X chromosome. Studies in the 1960s and 1990s reached this conclusion and genome analysis and lab studies confirm that IQ markers are on X chromosome. Females have two X chromosomes as we know, males have one. Hence the old saying 'if you want your son to be successful (as in intelligence) marry a smart woman.'

The upshot to your question as to who is smarter, if a boy look at the mother's intelligence +/- 5 point. For a girl, average the IQ of Mom and Dad +/- 5 points. ballpark. This is native IQ only not any other intelligence/smart indicators. As for me, my parents are much smarter than I and I wish they had the education and opportunity they gave me.

The Independent 2017

"A mother's genetics determines how clever her children are, according to researchers, and the father makes no difference.

Women are more likely to transmit intelligence genes to their children because they are carried on the X chromosome and women have two of these, while men only have one.

But in addition to this, scientists now believe genes for advanced cognitive functions which are inherited from the father may be automatically deactivated.

A category of genes known as “conditioned genes” are thought to work only if they come from the mother in some cases and the father in other cases. Intelligence is believed to be among the conditioned genes that have to come from the mother.

Researchers identified cells that contained only maternal or paternal genes in six different parts of the mouse brains which controlled different cognitive functions, from eating habits to memory.

Cells with paternal genes accumulated in parts of the limbic system, which is involved in functions such as sex, food and aggression. But researchers did not find any paternal cells in the cerebral cortex, which is where the most advanced cognitive functions take place, such as reasoning, thought, language and planning."

There are lots of sources on google but this seemed the most concise without getting into scientific notation which you can look up if you are interested.

Last edited by theoldnorthstate; 06-17-2019 at 08:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting