Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 09:10 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
And again, your projecting your own life experiences onto strangers. No where did the OP say the little girl was stripped down, but that the mother was helping her change. Wet bathing suites can be tight and sticky to get off, so it seems perfectly fine for a mother to help her own child get changed so the process goes as quickly as possible.

We don't know the full story, the OP doesn't even know the full story. For all we know, the kid was given the option between changing room and beach, and chose the beach. All we do know is that the child wasn't crying or visably upset about changing on the beach. So it's wrong to think this child was being "stripped down" in front of everyone against her will.
Ah, I've been saying similar words since this thread started and so many got it so out of proportion. Weirdos thrown in and I regrettably got to that area with another word. So many had the sky falling as they do in other forums I participate in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 09:13 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,927,273 times
This isn't at all about sexuality. This is about teaching appropriate social behavior to children.

Being appropriately clothed in public is on the same par as not picking your nose, or not scratching private parts in public, or not putting your face down on your plate to eat, or not screaming out loud for no reason. It's about behavioral expectations once you're more than 2 years old.

This family has failed this child. It's not appropriate to strip down to nude in public to change clothes in the US, and she'll have to learn not to do that in school.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:41 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
This isn't at all about sexuality. This is about teaching appropriate social behavior to children.

Being appropriately clothed in public is on the same par as not picking your nose, or not scratching private parts in public, or not putting your face down on your plate to eat, or not screaming out loud for no reason. It's about behavioral expectations once you're more than 2 years old.

This family has failed this child. It's not appropriate to strip down to nude in public to change clothes in the US, and she'll have to learn not to do that in school.
ohmygoodness....now the family failed the child?!!!!! And the child stripped down!!!!!

Old 06-26-2019, 10:53 PM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
It's weird how many of us are wired...but a lot of it is probably culture.

In Junior High it was definitely weird in the regular gym locker room with showers and nudity.....yet I didn't feel that way at 7 years old at summer camp.

Maybe your Mom was trying to break you into the world as much of it is? It's weird - I played racquet sports and remember a log of guys in the burb sports centers just walking around naked in the locker room - even when they could have been more modest.

My wife tells me that women in the same club just bare it all and parade around proudly.....I guess they were young and strong!

When we were 9-10 years old our dad took us to the "health club" which was the old-fashioned one with steam baths, massages, etc......basically you shed all your clothes before you even walk in. You use a towel only and that comes off much of the time. Neither of us ever felt weird about it at that age.

But once I came of age...became an adult, I personally do not use the "French Way".....at the same time, I am not overly offended by it and - in fact - appreciated it very much at Club Med (when the opposite sex adults regularly went topless).
Were these still not behind closed doors? Big difference between a locker room and a public beach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
Boys swam nude in my high school. Then we showered nude. Then the creepy gym teacher handed each of us a towel as we walked out of the shower.
Different time. That wouldn't be acceptable now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annabanana123 View Post
It wouldn’t phase me but we have traveled extensively and see topless beaches in other parts of the world. My son was shocked the first time we saw a lady topless on one. It’s not my cup of tea but if someone wants to swim naked I really don’t care.
Other parts of the world have different norms. When in Rome do as the Romans do as was stated on here previously. In the USA the "Romans" keep their suits on in public.

Old 06-27-2019, 01:34 AM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
Quote:
This family has failed this child.
That's rather melodramatic.

Old 06-27-2019, 05:00 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:

Man, I hate this word.

Old 06-27-2019, 05:34 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
at our beaches, we have a lot of international visitors.
they change at all ages. "what age is too old?"
i guess when you can no longer do it yourself.
That's about it.

Americans are wild with paranoia and perversion. It has become the heart and soul of the country.

Old 06-27-2019, 06:18 AM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
That's about it.

Americans are wild with paranoia and perversion. It has become the heart and soul of the country.

Mostly on the internet. I rarely encounter these people in real life because they have a real life.

Old 06-27-2019, 06:20 AM

5,703 posts, read 4,276,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
What was this about? Who brought it up the 1st time?:

The idea that the child was at risk of being sexually victimized was brought up by others.

Old 06-27-2019, 06:58 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
That's rather melodramatic.
I certainly didn't mean a complete fail. It's a fail. As in, the parents didn't bother to have the child allergy tested. The parents didn't bother to send in the permission slip for the field trip. The parents didn't teach the child basic table manners.

In this case, the parents didn't teach the child that nudity in public is not the norm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting