Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 02:25 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,324,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Why is "the norm" so darned important?
It is absolutely not important if you leave in the deep woods by yourself.
The moment someone else joins you there- “norms” will start to appear.
The “norms” - spoken and non-spoken make life in the society possible and somewhat bearable...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 02:53 PM

7,890 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
I was recently at a beach where it was very busy. While I was there, I saw a mom help change her daughter out of her swimsuit into dry clothes in full view of everyone around them. This young girl looked to be about 6-7 years old and was quite overweight. I had noticed the girl was starting to develop in her chest area.

At the beach there's nice changing stalls near the bathrooms for that purpose. Even if the kid didn't care about changing in front of everyone, I thought it was very inappropriate. The mom was there with 2 other ladies and children. She could of been more discreet about it. Never know if some weirdo may be lurking around the beach. I was a bit disgusted by it.

I think once the kids are out of diapers or pull-ups, kids shouldn't be changing in full view of everyone especially if they're starting to develop. I felt bad for the young girl being exposed like that in front of everyone.
You asked this question in the wrong forum, ask in the French forum. They are the experts on this topic and I am pretty sure they think the age is much older to stop doing this than you do.

Old 06-27-2019, 03:06 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Would anyone really care if a 6 year wiped their mouth on a tablecloth? I can't say I would consider that kid odd if I saw it. I don't even think I would care if an adult did it, I would just figure they got their napkin mixed up with the tablecloth.

Sure they would, if you're using an heirloom table cloth for Thanksgiving or some such. I'd honestly be kind of shocked to see a 6 yr. old wipe his/her face on a tablecloth. Rest assured, there will be a napkin right by his/her plate. As a matter of fact, the silverware will be right on top of the napkin. It'd be pretty hard to miss the napkin. Use the napkin.

Old 06-27-2019, 03:15 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
I would more likely see a 6 yr old use his/her sleeve or shirt to wipe their face, then use a tablecloth. Kids use their sleeves to wipe their noses all the time. Not a far leap they'd use their sleeve to wipe their faces.

Old 06-27-2019, 03:54 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
That's what napkins are for. This isn't an arbitrary rule - once a kid wipes his face on a tablecloth, it needs to be replaced for the next meal.
Every restaurant I've ever been to changes the tablecloths between guests. Those things don't stay clean for long, even without kids wiping their mouths on it.

Old 06-27-2019, 03:58 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,297,259 times
Really in todays world Who would even think of doing this No matter What the Age is!

Old 06-27-2019, 04:14 PM

5,713 posts, read 4,289,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
It is absolutely not important if you leave in the deep woods by yourself.
The moment someone else joins you there- “norms” will start to appear.
The “norms” - spoken and non-spoken make life in the society possible and somewhat bearable...

and the ridiculously strict adherence to pointless norms and (this is the important part) the insistence that others do likewise by ridiculous people when no harm comes to anyone who doesn't adhere is what makes life at times unbearable.

And the fact is, despite a certain someone's insistence that changing a 6 year old in public is not normal, this thread demonstrates that that there is considerable disagreement on that.

Keep your "norms" away from other people's bodies! Its that simple.

Old 06-27-2019, 04:33 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deserterer View Post
and the ridiculously strict adherence to pointless norms and (this is the important part) the insistence that others do likewise by ridiculous people when no harm comes to anyone who doesn't adhere is what makes life at times unbearable.

And the fact is, despite a certain someone's insistence that changing a 6 year old in public is not normal, this thread demonstrates that that there is considerable disagreement on that.

Keep your "norms" away from other people's bodies! Its that simple.
Boom.

Old 06-27-2019, 04:43 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Every restaurant I've ever been to changes the tablecloths between guests. Those things don't stay clean for long, even without kids wiping their mouths on it.
I'm not talking about a restaurant. Hence the reference to grandma's linen table cloth. Maybe you missed it.

Old 06-27-2019, 04:54 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,022,110 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about a restaurant. Hence the reference to grandma's linen table cloth. Maybe you missed it.
Sorry, I don't refer to Grandma's house as a restaurant so I thought you were talking about out in public.

Even at Grandma's house, don't most people wash their tablecloths? Unless you put them under glass, they're not going to stay clean for long.

Quote:

If you have no idea, for example, that it isn't the "norm" to wipe your mouth on the tablecloth or sing loudly while you're in a restaurant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting