Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2019, 04:43 PM

37,617 posts, read 46,006,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
We are planning on traveling a lot in the next few years with my son. He is now 4 and will travel overseas for the first time next year. (we are going on a cruise to mexico in nov this year but that's not really overseas travel). Scotland first, then hopefully Iceland, Germany, England, Ireland, Italy, Mexico, Peru over the next few years. We want to continue this travel through his school years, going further and more daring locations as he gets older.

I think that a week/ week and half abroad is well worth its educational value and therefore I don't feel guilty taking him out of school in the spring or around the holidays to travel.

Do you think that educational traveling is worth more than sitting in a class room?
No. My son and I did a lot of traveling when he was of school-age, but he never missed school because of it. I would never choose travel over school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2019, 05:51 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,917,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Yes, indeed! (/s) See below:
The opportunity arose to have fun, make memories, and strengthen our family bond, so we took it. I'm not going to feel bad or shameful about that!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 07-08-2019, 11:25 AM

24,201 posts, read 19,215,171 times
Why do so many people insist on treating this question like it's one or the other? That's a false dichotomy - it's not "miss school to travel" or "don't miss school and never travel"

Admittedly on a practical level, it can cost more to travel during school breaks and that may mean that the budget can only stretch to less travel because of that. But that's still not the same as never traveling and never providing the benefits of that for your kids.

Old 07-08-2019, 11:34 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,181,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Why do so many people insist on treating this question like it's one or the other? That's a false dichotomy - it's not "miss school to travel" or "don't miss school and never travel"

Admittedly on a practical level, it can cost more to travel during school breaks and that may mean that the budget can only stretch to less travel because of that. But that's still not the same as never traveling and never providing the benefits of that for your kids.
Maybe for the same reason some people are implying a kid is going to be held back a grade or won't get into college because they can't possibly make up a week's worth of school work.

Old 07-08-2019, 11:45 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,192,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Maybe for the same reason some people are implying a kid is going to be held back a grade or won't get into college because they can't possibly make up a week's worth of school work.
The kid in question is like 6. What "school work" would they miss at 6?

Old 07-08-2019, 12:55 PM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Your opinion of homeschooling doesn't make it a true fact. It's an opinion . And not well thought out.
Obviously it's an opinion. And I am not going into a well thought out debate about it because it is not at all relevant to the discussion at hand.

Old 07-08-2019, 01:03 PM

35,073 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
The kid in question is like 6. What "school work" would they miss at 6?
Are you serious? That was when I learned to read. Partially as a result of my 79 IQ I am still functionally illiterate, but missing school would not have helped.

Old 07-08-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Are you serious? That was when I learned to read. Partially as a result of my 79 IQ I am still functionally illiterate, but missing school would not have helped.
I am sorry to hear that. I can't imagine an "educational system" where missing a week of school in 1st grade renders one unable to read.

Old 07-08-2019, 01:26 PM

35,073 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I am sorry to hear that. I can't imagine an "educational system" where missing a week of school in 1st grade renders one unable to read.
I didn't say that. But if you managed to miss the period when reading was taught....I don't remember it being more than a week or two.

Old 07-08-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I didn't say that. But if you managed to miss the period when reading was taught....I don't remember it being more than a week or two.
You were "taught to read" in a week or two? I think you mis-remember and/or have no idea about reading.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting