U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2019, 11:23 PM

26 posts, read 6,393 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
No 12 year old in my house was allowed to have a boyfriend....especially a horny one.

THAT is the reason I searched for the word DATING in this forum. What other parents think about their 12 yr "dating". 12 years old is too young to be dating IMO. Glad you agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2019, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
I'm in the US. Born and raised. Several generations. Still no reason for a 12 year old to have a boyfriend/girlfriend. How is it appropriate for a 12 year old to talk about being horny with their 12 year old boy/girl friend? How exactly is a 12 year old equipped to handle being "in love" and all the emotional baggage that goes with it? There are adults who can't even handle that. Funny, when I was getting my degree in Early Childhood Development (something I'm guessing you don't have), I was taught the the brain of a 12 year old is just flat out not developed enough for these things.

Methinks the Texas Lawyer who seems to not have a problem w 12 year olds "dating" prolly doesn't have a 12 year daughter - prolly DOES have a 12 years old son.

Old 12-29-2019, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
Same here BostonMike. I remember pregnant girls in junior high. It happens.

Fine. But not in MY house.

Old Yesterday, 10:35 PM

1,985 posts, read 745,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastDallasDude View Post
Methinks the Texas Lawyer who seems to not have a problem w 12 year olds "dating" prolly doesn't have a 12 year daughter - prolly DOES have a 12 years old son.
You're actually wrong.

Even with daughters, going to the mall with a guy is perfectly fine. I think it says a lot about how you are raising your children. There's a difference between going to the mall or pairing up in a group of friends at the bowling alley vs letting them sleep in the same bedroom. I think you are treating the 12 year old like a 6 year old. Children grow, and as a parent, you need to learn to grow with them.

Old Today, 07:38 PM

6,561 posts, read 5,639,078 times
Had it been one of my daughters seeing a boy who acted like this (even at 16), I can picture DH (their dad) having a little "talk" with him. He had two younger sisters who became pregnant at 16. Their parents were uber religious, and refused to acknowledge the danger signs. Their attitude was, "we taught you right from wrong, we took you to church...not our fault," They couldn't even talk to their mother about sex. At least my girls were open with me (though I know for a fact they wanted nothing to do with it in their teen years).

As it stands, I agree with most of the other posters...at 12, my girls were not allowed to have boyfriends. But neither were interested in boys until they were older (late bloomers, I guess).

It's never too early to instill responsibility, though...in boys OR girls. My six-year-old grandson had an unexpected conversation with his mom (my oldest DD) the other day...asking if she wanted to be a "Nanny" (what he calls me) when HE had a baby. Just out of the blue, and it floored her.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; Today at 07:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or