Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 07:49 PM

4,166 posts, read 2,539,838 times

Advertisements

Here is the referral list of qualified piercers that I have mentioned a couple of times. They are well worth going to if you are ever in the vicinity.

https://www.piercingbible.com/sites/...rrals_2019.pdf

-----------------------------------------------
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 05:35 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,537,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Welcome to City-Data!

I'm pierced, it hurts like hell. It was the worst pain I've ever felt and I've had 2 kids naturally.

I bet if she did pierce one, she sure won't pierce the other. 1st they use a device on the nipple that feels like a vice grip. It holds the nipple so the "needle" can go straight thru. It really locks on too. If that is not painful enough for someone, they then use a hollow needle that slices a piece of nipple out. It hurts like heck!!! I did it back in the 90's as a dare and will never take it out after the pain I went thru. I'll die with my nipple ring still in!

She's 18, I wonder why she even asked because you'll never know if she did. Who knows, she may have already done it and was asking just to see what you'd say. I don't think either of my parents knew.
my parents were re-newing their permanent resident cards so we went to the j.f.k. federal building. at the lobby, security had wand readers. the group ahead of us went in order: father, mother, daughter. the daughter beeped, so she turned around facing security (her parents now behind her) and lifted her shirt and showed a belly button ring. security gave her the o.k. down the hall, i could hear the mother screaming 'what was that'.

Old 07-18-2019, 07:29 AM

23,821 posts, read 33,345,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
my parents were re-newing their permanent resident cards so we went to the j.f.k. federal building. at the lobby, security had wand readers. the group ahead of us went in order: father, mother, daughter. the daughter beeped, so she turned around facing security (her parents now behind her) and lifted her shirt and showed a belly button ring. security gave her the o.k. down the hall, i could hear the mother screaming 'what was that'.
Interesting because I've been thru security at court houses where they x-ray your stuff, you have to walk thru the security thing, they also use the wand on you; I've never beeped for my piercing or my lumbar fusion.

Old 07-18-2019, 08:47 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,953,074 times
As soon as I turned 18 I slowly started going out and getting all the piercings I wanted to.
I got my belly button done and my mom didn’t know for months almost a year because she was never in a position to see it.

Old 07-18-2019, 09:22 AM

20,273 posts, read 14,508,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaphysique View Post
Right? Weird that she even asked. I never asked my mother's permission to get body modification once I turned 18.
I hear all the people talking about "Well, she is 18, why would she even be telling or asking you?" and I get it and all...but...at the same time...

If you are the kind of judgmental parent that your kid does not feel comfortable talking to, and if they feel that way about both parents, like I feel kinda sorry for the kid. I like the fact that, whether I agree with what they are doing or not, my sons feel ok coming to me and talking to me if they want to do a thing. Because even if I have "opinions" as I said in my previous posts, I ultimately respect their autonomy (as you said in yours.)

I like that they would come and ask me about something like this, because they know I will help them do research, I will want them to make an informed choice. I might point out concerns they had not thought of, and if they are resolved to do the thing, I'll help them find a very reputable place to get it done right. They trust me like that. And even if they are making a choice I advised against, and even if they later DO regret it, that does not mean I'm ever turning my back on them or saying that because they did not give me control over them, I'll withhold love or support that I'd otherwise give.

There is a huge difference between withholding privileges when they are CHILDREN in need of parental tough love, like video game or TV time or something until they get homework done... And when you have an adult-to-adult relationship with your grown kid and you're simply being manipulative, for no other reason than to try and make them conform to your OPINIONS and to punish them for not doing so.

And you should know what road that takes you down. Because if you judge your kid and they don't feel safe or comfortable talking to you, then that creates some distance. And if you turn your back because they are not your idea of perfectly proper in some way, they might go on to be successful despite the fact that you've decided they are no-good. And if, when, they do become successful, don't you come begging to them to care for you in your old age, or bail you out if you've got a problem.

I am speaking as an estranged daughter. My Dad's family acted like they were too good for me because I am not religious, and I'm more sexually libertine than they would like. But ya know, for someone who feels he has some right to judge me...my Dad is easily addicted to pot and alcohol, drinks and drives, has made really stupid financial and personal life choices, and is not in that great a position to retire...well...maybe, ever. I am not a user of drugs or alcohol, I've got a pretty decent career, and promising long term prospects in life, and I am far happier than he is. That goes for others close to him as well. And ya know, I do not feel that I owe any of them a single thing. I don't care if they are old and broke and have to go into a crummy Medicare funded nursing home, and I'm living the life over here. They turned their backs on me when I needed them because they judged my life choices, well, if they can dish it out, then they can have a helping of the same.

So to those who think they should withhold college money they would otherwise give, over something as trifling as a piercing... You better hope you never need anything from that child of yours. And the day might damn well come when you do, and she's like, "Well remember when...?"

Old 07-18-2019, 10:47 AM

4,166 posts, read 2,539,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I hear all the people talking about "Well, she is 18, why would she even be telling or asking you?" and I get it and all...but...at the same time...

If you are the kind of judgmental parent that your kid does not feel comfortable talking to, and if they feel that way about both parents, like I feel kinda sorry for the kid. I like the fact that, whether I agree with what they are doing or not, my sons feel ok coming to me and talking to me if they want to do a thing. Because even if I have "opinions" as I said in my previous posts, I ultimately respect their autonomy (as you said in yours.)

I like that they would come and ask me about something like this, because they know I will help them do research, I will want them to make an informed choice. I might point out concerns they had not thought of, and if they are resolved to do the thing, I'll help them find a very reputable place to get it done right. They trust me like that. And even if they are making a choice I advised against, and even if they later DO regret it, that does not mean I'm ever turning my back on them or saying that because they did not give me control over them, I'll withhold love or support that I'd otherwise give.

There is a huge difference between withholding privileges when they are CHILDREN in need of parental tough love, like video game or TV time or something until they get homework done... And when you have an adult-to-adult relationship with your grown kid and you're simply being manipulative, for no other reason than to try and make them conform to your OPINIONS and to punish them for not doing so.

And you should know what road that takes you down. Because if you judge your kid and they don't feel safe or comfortable talking to you, then that creates some distance. And if you turn your back because they are not your idea of perfectly proper in some way, they might go on to be successful despite the fact that you've decided they are no-good. And if, when, they do become successful, don't you come begging to them to care for you in your old age, or bail you out if you've got a problem.

I am speaking as an estranged daughter. My Dad's family acted like they were too good for me because I am not religious, and I'm more sexually libertine than they would like. But ya know, for someone who feels he has some right to judge me...my Dad is easily addicted to pot and alcohol, drinks and drives, has made really stupid financial and personal life choices, and is not in that great a position to retire...well...maybe, ever. I am not a user of drugs or alcohol, I've got a pretty decent career, and promising long term prospects in life, and I am far happier than he is. That goes for others close to him as well. And ya know, I do not feel that I owe any of them a single thing. I don't care if they are old and broke and have to go into a crummy Medicare funded nursing home, and I'm living the life over here. They turned their backs on me when I needed them because they judged my life choices, well, if they can dish it out, then they can have a helping of the same.

So to those who think they should withhold college money they would otherwise give, over something as trifling as a piercing... You better hope you never need anything from that child of yours. And the day might damn well come when you do, and she's like, "Well remember when...?"

Yes, this ^^^^^

Old 07-18-2019, 01:20 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,537,839 times
i think its as weird as your grown sister asking her brother permission for a nipple ring ?

Old 11-01-2022, 07:07 PM

3,202 posts, read 1,688,204 times
Well this was an interesting read. I thought there'd be a few pierced folks here. I'm pierced in both ears (lobes & daith) and going back to double up my lobes and add an orbital opposite my daith. (google it if you don't know) Don't have anything "downstairs" but I do have nipple rings. ...and for the record, I'm straight. Why did I do it? I'm rebelling against growing older. I will say this, getting nipples pierced hurts, but only for a few seconds. They do tend to heal slowly tho. Once you're used to them the feeling is mildly erotic. Just don't bump into anything! We only go around once in life, if you want to do something DO IT and enjoy it !

I'm just not hanging my sunglasses off my nipples.
Go back and re read the thread.

Old 11-01-2022, 07:31 PM

8,237 posts, read 8,576,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
I would tell her that she is 18 and can obviously do it if she can pay for it, but that I would not be footing the bill. I would also tell her it isn't an appropriate conversation to have with her father.
That she even asked you makes me question your parenting.

Old 11-01-2022, 07:52 PM

746 posts, read 485,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryhippo View Post
I am new on here, so please forgive formatting as I am also on mobile.

My DD is 18 yrs old, but still lives with me. She had her ears pierced at 11 and kept them clean, their just the normal little studs, but about 2 weeks ago, she asked if she can get her nipples pierced. I am absolutely against it until she moves out! Her mom is more lax and says if she pays for it then so be it. now I understand it is her own body and she is 18 yrs old after all, but I can’t seem to “accept” it if that makes since?
Idk they just seem trashy.

What would you do?
We don't deform our body. Nipples are very sensitive. This is very dangerous and stupid and you need to be aware of mental illness. Please explain you feel this is so dangerous you'd like her to start counseling. Take the emphasis off the piercing and onto what this really is, she may be becoming mentally ill.

No parent would agree to such nonsense of deforming your own nipple or injuring it to the point it looses sensitivity or the ability to produce milk during pregnancy. Of course you do not go to any piercing shop, no one in their right mind would own such.

We had one in town. The mentally ill called it "reputable" soon they were shut down for selling drugs and we found ou they were gay too. One was a transvestite. It's never ending. Of course she shouldn't be in a shop like that nor be deforming her own members. So sorry this is happening, tell her you will arrange for her to get counseling beause you love her.

So sorry this is happening
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting