Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 11:57 AM

4,166 posts, read 2,543,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Self expression? So she is going to be showing it to other people.
Some people do show them off, some people don't. For me, it's for self satisfaction. Body adornment. I think they are pretty, and sexy. It really doesn't matter to me if anybody else likes it, or not since I did it for me. The fact that I have secret jewelry under my clothes that nobody knows I have is a little kinky, and fun even as I age.

i've already picked out the piercing artist in Vancouver, Wa that was on the recommended list on the Piercing Bible site to get my t_tty rings back in when I get my nerve up, and money saved. I've already got a variety of different sized rings, and barbells from before to choose from, and will go with the barbells that I had in before because I know they will fit.

When you stretch to the next larger size ring you just save the smaller ones. Industrial Strength brand of rings is considered the best, and are hypoallergenic. At this time I only have 3 piercings below the neck when I used to have 7. The largest ones were two 6 gauge captive bead rings (CBRs). The lower the gauge, the larger the ring. Anyway, this practice is more common than the GP would think. People you meet that you might never expect to have piercings may have them. That should keep you guessing, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 12:18 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,719,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post

That should keep you guessing, lol.
It doesn't, though. I'm literally never wondering what other strangers have going on under their clothes.

This really reads more like self-satisfaction than self-expression anyway.

Old 07-16-2019, 01:21 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,254,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
What do you care if it makes her feel good about herself?
If she does not feel good about herself how will a piecing help?

I don't care what she does. It does not matter to me. The OP was asking as a parent looking for advice. I told the op what I would do. I don't care how anyone else handles the situation. I don't care what advice anyone else gives. Not my kid. Not my place.

What I do care about is when another parent is asking what someone else thinks about or what they will do in a given situation I will give my thoughts on it.

I am not going to pretend that the young lady in question is not going to be showing these to someone or many someones. None of my business what she does with them.

Once again, as a parent, we teach our kids what we believe in. We teach them to respect their body. Of course that starts at a young age. So many people talk about it being her body let her do what ever she wants to it. Would you tell her to overeat or eat what ever you want? Would a parent tell a kid it is ok to not eat at all? Would you tell her it is ok to take drugs? Would you tell her that it is fine to take the body that God gave her and abuse it in anyway? I don't know of any parent that would say it is fine to do any of those things. Some kids cut themselves. It is their body, is that OK to do? It is their body after all.

Old 07-16-2019, 01:24 PM

20,300 posts, read 14,524,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
It doesn't, though. I'm literally never wondering what other strangers have going on under their clothes.

There isn't really anything wrong with either one, I don't think.

The one person who is going to see that body unclothed more than any other, is the person living in it. The one person whose opinion of it matters the most, is the one who inhabits it. Anyone else is merely a tourist at best. There isn't a single thing wrong with wanting to look into a mirror and be pleased by what you see. In a society that trains people, and in particular ways women, to be our own worst critics, so as to sell us on a never-ending avalanche of beauty products, fashionable clothing, and so on... If one small thing makes a person feel happier in their own skin, then random opinions of others should not matter.

That's why I say, yeah, the parent can share their opinion, but with the understanding that it's only that. And the opinion that matters most is the person wanting it done, the daughter. Her body doesn't belong to her father or mother, her boyfriend or suitor, her one day husband. Only to herself.

When I was 24, I got large tattoos, line art that I drew myself, inked up my ribs on both sides. That's a bigger commitment by far than any piercing. People don't know it's there unless I tell or show them. It was not done for any man or other person. It was done for me. I've never regretted it, and I doubt that I ever will.

Old 07-16-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:

Everyone is different in the sexual aspect. There is room for all. But the point I was making which you missed was that many people with piercings are not the ones that are typically thought of as having them. This includes people in professional jobs such as medical personnel, educators, office managers, executives, truck drivers, and anything else you can name including housewives, and grandparents. This also applies to tattoos.

Self satisfaction, and self expression are the same. It's different for everyone.

Last edited by mlulu23; 07-16-2019 at 01:54 PM..

Old 07-16-2019, 02:00 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,043,528 times
If she can stay conscious through the piercing, more power to her.

I can't imagine anything more painful that is a voluntary action. She will be literally shooting holes through each nipple.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
So many people talk about it being her body let her do what ever she wants to it. Would you tell her to overeat or eat what ever you want? Would a parent tell a kid it is ok to not eat at all? Would you tell her it is ok to take drugs? Would you tell her that it is fine to take the body that God gave her and abuse it in anyway? I don't know of any parent that would say it is fine to do any of those things. Some kids cut themselves. It is their body, is that OK to do? It is their body after all.
The things you listed above do not correlate with body piercings.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:22 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,244,439 times
Is she a high schooler? if so she goes by your rules. If not she's paying something towards rent? (Sweat equity)
Sometimes they just want a reaction. If you shrug and say "whatever" the thrill might go away.

Better yet, tell her you want go be there to hear her scream in pain. That might deter her.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:36 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,719,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Everyone is different in the sexual aspect. There is room for all. But the point I was making which you missed was that many people with piercings are not the ones that are typically thought of as having them. This includes people in professional jobs such as medical personnel, educators, office managers, executives, truck drivers, and anything else you can name including housewives, and grandparents. This also applies to tattoos.

Self satisfaction, and self expression are the same. It's different for everyone.
I didn't miss your point.

We get it. You're a cool old lady who enjoys thinking that you're being counterculture, even though piercings and tattoos are so prevalent, according to you, that it almost isn't "counter" anymore.

The idea that we might be shocked by someone's piercings is silly. I live and work in a very creative town where elected officials have tattoos, pierced musicians and CPAs are everywhere, and quirky millionaire old ladies have dyed purple hair. Your "cluck-clucking" that it's who we least expect and prattling on about how your secret makes you feel kinky IS overindulgent self-satisfaction, which is NOT the same as plain ol' self-expression.

You do you, lulu. Just don't come to a marginally related thread and brag about it.

Old 07-16-2019, 04:27 PM

Quote:
I didn't miss your point.

We get it. You're a cool old lady who enjoys thinking that you're being counterculture, even though piercings and tattoos are so prevalent, according to you, that it almost isn't "counter" anymore.

The idea that we might be shocked by someone's piercings is silly. I live and work in a very creative town where elected officials have tattoos, pierced musicians and CPAs are everywhere, and quirky millionaire old ladies have dyed purple hair. Your "cluck-clucking" that it's who we least expect and prattling on about how your secret makes you feel kinky IS overindulgent self-satisfaction, which is NOT the same as plain ol' self-expression.

You do you, lulu. Just don't come to a marginally related thread and brag about it.

You are incorrect. You, and others gave your input, and I gave mine. Whether you like it, or not the thread is about piercings, and that was the subject of my posts.

No, you didn't get my point. You missed it entirely, lol. I never said I did it to shock anybody, you did. That came out of left field. Don't put words in my mouth. I also didn't do it to be superficially cool. How can anybody think I'm cool if they don't know the piercings exist? That is just "silly". Nobody knows I have them, unless I say so. And since I don't know you personally, it doesn't matter if you know, or not. So your imagination is running wild, and coming up with ideas that are not so just to appear superior. You are the one cluck-clucking. I was stating a fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting