Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 04:57 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,291,422 times

Advertisements

Have you ever had your child react strangely to a song?

We were out shopping and then stopped for gas and a song came on that we both love so I turned it up while my partner pumped the gas. It was a country song, John Michael Montgomery, "I Love The Way You Love Me". Me and the 5 yo were in the van, and she loves almost ALL music and is happy with whatever I pick, so I turned it up so that my partner could hear it from the back of the van (pumping gas).

Not a sad song! Touching, yes. Makes ME cry a little sometimes, but not in a sad way.

Anyway, the song is ending and my partner gets back into the van and notices our 5 year old DD is crying hard! Not loud, but intensely, just this pitiful heartbroken crying. It took her a few minutes to stop crying enough to tell us what was wrong and when she finally did she just said that the song was sad and it made her cry.

We figure she must be relating it to some sad song with a similar tune? We tried to tell her it wasn't a sad song and tried telling her what it was about but she insisted that it was indeed sad. ::shrug::. It was heartbreaking and just so out of the blue.

I don't know if there's more to it. There is some unknown history there with her bio dad so who knows, maybe she connected the song with something else entirely, but if so she's not conscious of it. Poor baby.

Anyway she was soon cheered up with some Red Hot Chili Peppers but has anyone else ever experienced this sort of thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 08:10 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,486,068 times
i was like this as a child actually. i would hear a song that was emptional, or commericals and i would cry--as you say, not loudly, but deeply.
just very sensitive i guess.
remember the commercial for the phone company "i can live without you, i cant laugh without you"....barry manilo...
that one always got me

Old 08-06-2008, 10:28 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,141,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Have you ever had your child react strangely to a song?

We were out shopping and then stopped for gas and a song came on that we both love so I turned it up while my partner pumped the gas. It was a country song, John Michael Montgomery, "I Love The Way You Love Me". Me and the 5 yo were in the van, and she loves almost ALL music and is happy with whatever I pick, so I turned it up so that my partner could hear it from the back of the van (pumping gas).

Not a sad song! Touching, yes. Makes ME cry a little sometimes, but not in a sad way.

Anyway, the song is ending and my partner gets back into the van and notices our 5 year old DD is crying hard! Not loud, but intensely, just this pitiful heartbroken crying. It took her a few minutes to stop crying enough to tell us what was wrong and when she finally did she just said that the song was sad and it made her cry.

We figure she must be relating it to some sad song with a similar tune? We tried to tell her it wasn't a sad song and tried telling her what it was about but she insisted that it was indeed sad. ::shrug::. It was heartbreaking and just so out of the blue.

I don't know if there's more to it. There is some unknown history there with her bio dad so who knows, maybe she connected the song with something else entirely, but if so she's not conscious of it. Poor baby.

Anyway she was soon cheered up with some Red Hot Chili Peppers but has anyone else ever experienced this sort of thing?
I think your child is right. It is a sad song- not the lyrics, but the tone of the singing has a very melancholy air. If I didn't understand English I would guess it was a sad song just from the sound of it. What a sensitive little sweetheart you have. I remember my son always asking me before we went to a movie, if anyone died in the movie. If a person or animal died in it he didn't want to see it. Said it made him too sad.

Old 08-07-2008, 04:25 AM

603 posts, read 2,339,161 times
My daughter is six, and that happens to us all the time. In our case, she's not listening to the lyrics but to the music. If the music sounds sad, she starts to cry. Sometimes she says that it reminds her of great grandpa or grandma who both have passed away.

Old 08-07-2008, 06:34 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Isn't it great she FEELS that way? If we all could keep open to our feelings like that we'd be so much healthier.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:22 AM

8,002 posts, read 18,601,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
remember the commercial for the phone company "i can live without you, i cant laugh without you"....barry manilo...
that one always got me
me too!

To the op. That is one of my favorite songs. I can understand her crying, like someone mentioned above, the music itself without the words sound sad. I think it's very sweet of her.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:26 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
My daughter has always been very sensitive to music and lots of different songs affect her. We watched very few Disney movies when she was younger because most of them have the heroine singing a sad/romantic/emotional song at some point or other (Beauty and the Beast and Hunchback of Notre Dame come to mind). She sobbed through a local dance company production of ... can't remember, but it had music by Moby, of all things. We had to leave the movie Spirit because the music made her cry.

She's 9 now and music doesn't get to her as much. But we're still very careful with movies we let her watch because they really seem to get under her skin. She visited my brother and SIL and they let her watch I Am Legend and she cried off and on about it for 2 WEEKS.

So, yes, we've experienced what you're talking about. I figure they have lots of deep feelings inside and hearing certain music opens them up to the feelings, which is what music is supposed to do.

Old 08-07-2008, 08:50 AM

3,855 posts, read 13,263,769 times
Some kids are just emotional about things like music. I don't think there is anything unhealthy about it.

Remember when Robert De Niro cried over that commercial in Analyze This? Big tough mobster just broke down and started bawling...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
She's 9 now...and they let her watch I Am Legend and she cried off and on about it for 2 WEEKS.
Funny you should mention this movie. Our 10 yo wants to see it sooo bad. My wife and I went to the movies to see it for ourselves first. Upon leaving we decided there ain't no stink'n way we're letting her watch that! Good grief I had nightmares about it.

Old 08-07-2008, 09:33 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,698,048 times
Quote:
Funny you should mention this movie. Our 10 yo wants to see it sooo bad. My wife and I went to the movies to see it for ourselves first. Upon leaving we decided there ain't no stink'n way we're letting her watch that! Good grief I had nightmares about it.
Not to hijack this thread, but yeah, it's an intense movie and it pushed all of her buttons--Will Smith leaving his wife and daughter in the helicopter while holding a puppy, no less(my husband works offshore and she still cries every time he leaves for 5-6 weeks); what later happens to the dog; the reference to it all happening in 2012, which is only 3 years away. Plus the very scary monsters! Also she watched it while visiting relatives and was already homesick. Anyway, it wasn't til I watched it after she got back that I put it all together and realized why it upset her so much. So no, I don't recommend it for a 10-year-old, especially if she's sensitive to that kind of thing.

OK--back to the topic.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:17 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Poor baby!

I still cry for commercials. Just a minute ago there was that one humane society commercial with all the dogs and the Sarah McLaughlin music- and oh dear. Tears roll down my face every time I see it! Have for the past year or two that the commercial has been on without fail! Right after that, there was a cord blood commercial with a family talking about their daughter with leukemia. At that point I just started shaking sobbing. My younger brother walked in, stared at me, and shaked his head walking out of the room. :P

When I was 9 or 10, my parents had to take me out of The Green Mile in theatres because I was crying so loudly and yelling "Why? Why!?!" :P

I think it's good that kids feel comfortable enough to share their emotions! Too many people don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting