Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2019, 11:01 AM

1 posts, read 534 times

Advertisements

we have 4 full grown children-now in their 30's-that don't care for each other-they don't fight but just try not to be around with each other. Their dad and I are always working around how to see they because they always ask who will be there? We have great memories from their childhood but they must not. How do we get over our sad feelings. I have asked each one but no real answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 04:38 PM

325 posts, read 207,721 times
Pretty common these days I'm finding... whether it's due to true dislike or just inconvenient.

In our immediate family it is not so much that they don't like each other, but rather lead very different lives and live very far apart. Income differences (all do well, but one is well into the 1% range), kind of jobs they hold (limited vacation to no limit on vacation or time off), political views, views of "self", extended family demands on the other side all play into distribution of time and attendance at family gatherings.

They manage to pull it together at least once a year. I will admit it is a headache to coordinate everyone for one time period. Maybe it's not so much they don't like each other as much as it is too much trouble.

----I agree with saibot's thoughts.

Last edited by CentralUSHomeowner; 07-16-2019 at 05:24 PM..

Old 07-16-2019, 04:47 PM

14,308 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Your question is, "How do we get over our sad feelings?" By not dwelling on them. Be thankful your children are happy, healthy and independent--assuming they are those things--and see them one at a time. Is there some special reason you need them all together all the time? If not, focus on enjoying the one you are with. You could have many, many worse problems than this.

Old 07-16-2019, 06:49 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,578,668 times
Think of them as individuals rather than as a group and spend quality time with them individually, without the others. It will most likely be less often than if they enjoyed each other, but it could actually deepen your relationship with each one. It's hard to give up our dreams of a "big happy loving family", but accepting our kid's reality is best. Otherwise we risk alienating everyone and ending up with nothing. Best wishes!!

Old 07-16-2019, 08:13 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Think of them as individuals rather than as a group and spend quality time with them individually, without the others. It will most likely be less often than if they enjoyed each other, but it could actually deepen your relationship with each one. It's hard to give up our dreams of a "big happy loving family", but accepting our kid's reality is best. Otherwise we risk alienating everyone and ending up with nothing. Best wishes!!
Well said.

Old 07-21-2019, 07:14 AM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CentralUSHomeowner View Post
Pretty common these days I'm finding... whether it's due to true dislike or just inconvenient.

In our immediate family it is not so much that they don't like each other, but rather lead very different lives and live very far apart. Income differences (all do well, but one is well into the 1% range), kind of jobs they hold (limited vacation to no limit on vacation or time off), political views, views of "self", extended family demands on the other side all play into distribution of time and attendance at family gatherings.

They manage to pull it together at least once a year. I will admit it is a headache to coordinate everyone for one time period. Maybe it's not so much they don't like each other as much as it is too much trouble.

----I agree with saibot's thoughts.
So true. My kids are so very different from each other that sometimes I wonder how that happened when they grew up together in the same household! Both of them have even expressed that they wished they were closer to the other, but they have so very little in common, and hold some very opposing beliefs and opinions, that I don't ever see them becoming good friends with each other.
So for us it's not so much a matter of inconvenience as it is that there is absolutely no common ground, they don't even like the same foods.

Old 07-21-2019, 07:44 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
OP, I'm sorry that you are seeing the siblings as uninterested in bonding in their adulthood.

My Mom instilled that kins , cousins, brothers, aunts, etc all had value THRU OUT life. It caught on somehow because we each weave ourselves in and out of our kins lives.

We get along because we endured those times of NOT getting along. Perhaps this is their adult phase of such moments.

I think it doesn't change your heart ache to say "ohh just count your blessings", because really your blessing is to have THOSE Adults visit....Time shared is so invaluable. No one ever sat on their death bed and said...Golly I am so blessed that my kids didn't get along or visit. By golly its just peachy that they were healthy though!

I'm not going to justify the adults whom you raised . Instead I'd broach it with sincerity. Asking them each directly if there is some event or time that would be suitable for an adult gathering to create family fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting