Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 01:20 AM

1 posts, read 838 times

Advertisements

I've been through some rough stuff in life and I'm unfortunately 24 and living at home again. I started seeking professional help and with the help of my therapist, I untangled a lot of mental issues setting me back. I also found out through my therapist that some childhood memories involving my mother were not "normal" but in fact bondafide sexual abuse/child molestation.

I posted online about the incidents and my mother somehow managed to read my posts, and confronted me about it. She categorically denied ever abusing me, and claimed my therapist was just creating issues so I would have to keep going back and paying them more $ to fix my "issues."

Then, my mother said that she would do anything to make me happy, and proceeded to walk to our neighbor's house. Our neighbor is a cop. And she actually stepped inside the house. When she returned, she claimed that she had confessed everything to the cop, offered her wrists to the officer, and told him to arrest her if he needed to. She told me that if I wanted her to go downtown and sit in a cell, she would gladly oblige, all to make me happy, just as a perfect mother as herself would.

I'm just extremely, extremely confused right now. Most of the events above occurred just yesterday, and I'm still just trying to figure out how another human being has sunken to this level. I've already laid out plans for myself to move out by the end of this year, and I've been working 2 jobs to get back on my feet.

Parents: how would you react in this situation? I'm just trying to figure out what's "normal" and what's not because the more I go to therapy, the more I realize that everything about me is the furthest thing from "normal."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 05:13 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5percocets View Post
I've been through some rough stuff in life and I'm unfortunately 24 and living at home again. I started seeking professional help and with the help of my therapist, I untangled a lot of mental issues setting me back. I also found out through my therapist that some childhood memories involving my mother were not "normal" but in fact bondafide sexual abuse/child molestation.

I posted online about the incidents and my mother somehow managed to read my posts, and confronted me about it. She categorically denied ever abusing me, and claimed my therapist was just creating issues so I would have to keep going back and paying them more $ to fix my "issues."

Then, my mother said that she would do anything to make me happy, and proceeded to walk to our neighbor's house. Our neighbor is a cop. And she actually stepped inside the house. When she returned, she claimed that she had confessed everything to the cop, offered her wrists to the officer, and told him to arrest her if he needed to. She told me that if I wanted her to go downtown and sit in a cell, she would gladly oblige, all to make me happy, just as a perfect mother as herself would.
Hmmm. Just no.

Quote:
I'm just extremely, extremely confused right now. Most of the events above occurred just yesterday, and I'm still just trying to figure out how another human being has sunken to this level. I've already laid out plans for myself to move out by the end of this year, and I've been working 2 jobs to get back on my feet.
Good on you. So hard. I am rooting for you.
Quote:
Parents: how would you react in this situation? I'm just trying to figure out what's "normal" and what's not because the more I go to therapy, the more I realize that everything about me is the furthest thing from "normal."
hmmm, what would I do if I had been abusing my child? I have no idea. I did have a mental health problem of my own that made me less emotionally available to my children. What I did do was seek therapy for myself. And if I were in your mother's shoes, that is what I would do as well. I would NOT seek to undermine my child's therapy for themselves. I would NOT attempt to defend myself with heroic looking stunts like the one she pulled. Gaslighting and confusion inducing is the POINT to support her maladaptive coping techniques where her brain tries to convince herself she is a-ok. I would tell her that I support her. I would offer what support in the form of paying for therapy that I could, breaking my back to do it if I had to. I would offer to attend therapy with her to see what form of remedy and amends I could do to aid her healing.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:51 AM

2,453 posts, read 3,214,645 times
Quote:

Welcome to City-Data!

Old 07-17-2019, 12:27 PM

9,386 posts, read 8,356,698 times
Quote:
I'm just trying to figure out what's "normal" and what's not
None of this. From the abuse to your mother's crazy reaction at the neighbor's house. My only advice here is to get out of the house pronto. Find a family member or a friend and crash on their couch until you have enough saved up for your own place, which would ideally be far away from Mom. Best of luck.

Old 07-17-2019, 03:52 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,122,777 times
24 years old and still choosing to live with the abusive mother? Certainly a "three sides to every story" case.....

Old 07-18-2019, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
24 years old and still choosing to live with the abusive mother? Certainly a "three sides to every story" case.....
Wow. Can you say holy judgemental, batman? Can you imagine a situation, like the one she posted, where there are financial realities in the world?

Old 07-21-2019, 12:36 AM

1,702 posts, read 1,260,875 times
In situations like this OP most likely doesn't have any other family or close friends.

Old 07-21-2019, 06:22 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Your therapist says abuse. Based on childhood memories. That's only one side of the story. It's not uncommon for people to have different memories of long ago events, and it's possible your memories of things that happened may be quite different from what your mom remembers.
Frankly I think your mother has a right to present her side of things too. I think you should have a session or three that includes your mother too. A little bit of family therapy as it were. I'm surprised your therapist hasn't suggested it.

Old 07-21-2019, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Your therapist says abuse. Based on childhood memories. That's only one side of the story. It's not uncommon for people to have different memories of long ago events, and it's possible your memories of things that happened may be quite different from what your mom remembers.
Frankly I think your mother has a right to present her side of things too. I think you should have a session or three that includes your mother too. A little bit of family therapy as it were. I'm surprised your therapist hasn't suggested it.
OP if you are still reading. I am going to respond to this for YOU.

It is very much not uncommon for people not to believe the experience of abuse. Do not lend credence to this. If YOU would like family therapy. Rock it. If not, rock that.

As far as what you are experiencing here, it sounds like classic narcissistic self preservation on your mother's part. Healing is the goal, not a dramatic offer to send her away in chains. This is not about putting Mom on trial. This is about you being able to be whole and peaceful.

My very best wishes to you.

ETA: It would not be normal for your therapist to advise you sit down with your abuser in family counseling At All.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:12 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
ETA: It would not be normal for your therapist to advise you sit down with your abuser in family counseling At All.
Every therapist I've been to generally wants to hear from both parties if possible. Most of them have suggested at least one joint counseling session for any parties involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting