Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2019, 07:29 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,313,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
It's a reasonably accurate generalization. That was my experience of the daycare children's parents.
Daycare kids are really no different than other kids. There shouldn't be a stigma to using/being in daycare. Lots of working parents have to use daycare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2019, 07:31 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,313,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
I don’t have kids and am not particularly judgmental about kids’ behavior. However, I was a teacher in a prior career. Some of these issues would not bother me, like asking to share a dish. At 7, I didn’t eat that much (certainly not enough for a full adult meal) and even now I tend not to eat the entirety of what is served in a restaurant. It isn’t like that child was just taking the food, but she was asking about whether she could share a dish she wanted to try. The OP was free to refuse and say that she thought she’d be eating the whole thing. ..
It's not always that easy to tell someone else's child "no", especially in a public place with the parent present, who knows what the child is doing. The parent should be the one to tell the child "no, you cannot have their food. Eat your own." This is common, basic manners that every child should be taught. People shouldn't be expected to share their entree at dinner with anyone.

Old 07-23-2019, 11:26 PM

10,273 posts, read 13,796,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
Or just among my friends. I don’t have kids but what I witness didn’t happen years ago. We had plans to meet our friends and their teenagers. Then she tells me she won’t make it on time because her daughter wanted to sleep in. When I was a teen, if I wasn’t ready, I want going.

We all decide on a restaurant but then have to change it if their kids decide to go and want to eat somewhere else.

A friends 7 year old daughter asked me to share my food with her. Instead of my friend telling her daughter no you are getting your own food, she asked if I was ok sharing it.

We ordered appetizers for the adults and as soon as it is served, my friends 9 year old daughter puts her hand in it and takes some. They don’t say anything. Also let her kid constantly interrupt.

When I was a child I knew my place. Of course I tested things but I was reprimanded. I love kids and sometime regret not having them but it seems so different now.
Yes, kids call the shots in a lot of families. Parents' lives revolve around their kids nowadays. Everything they do has the kids in mind and they can't even be away from them for any time but to go to work.

Old 07-24-2019, 04:33 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,229,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I wasn't referring to people who work with kids. We (DH and I) seem to have a lot of friends and relatives who don't have kids who just. don't. get. it. People talking about kids who "know their place". You do know that's a racist slur, right? Referring to kids as "pissy".

People tend to be much more forgiving of some of these "offenses" once they have kids of their own.

Ordering appetizers just for the adults seems pretty inappropriate, unless another plate was ordered for the kids.
Not everything that has been used in a racially charged setting is "racist". My boss told me to know my place the other day. As a subordinate.

And i am the one who initially said pissy. I have 9 children and sometimes they are pissy. Teens in particular. but 4 year olds also. My children are generally well behaved, get compliments in public. Help old ladies cross the road and all that. And sometimes they are little terrors. Having kids makes your perspective shift, not on dismissing of bad behavior but on understanding the difference between a child who cant handle the situation we as parents have put them in vs being bad behaved because they havent been taught any better. Calling oneself a dictator in your own home is a bit dramatic, children are people too. The flip side is that they are children being raised to be strong and independent adults who must adapt to changing situations. Its a balancing act. Some people dont get it. Some do.

Old 07-24-2019, 04:37 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,229,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
You got no idea how right you are. My cousin went with my niece who is 21 to another state as my niece is about to start med school. Not only did mom clean her rented room while my niece wet out on some tour but my cousin was also looking at hiring someone to come and clean her room/bedroom for her on weekly bases. All other roommate told my cousin they do not want to pay for a maid as they will be doing all of the cleaning themselves. This is the result of making little kids in to princes and princess at early age.
little confused about the people in this story, is your cousin your nieces mom? is she adopted or is your cousin somehow also your sister? but perhaps mom/your cousin(?) knows that med school is a huge amount of work and has the ability and money to makes things a little easier for the kid.

Old 07-24-2019, 04:48 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,143,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Daycare kids are really no different than other kids. There shouldn't be a stigma to using/being in daycare. Lots of working parents have to use daycare.
This is what I mean. NO mention of stigma at all. I simply mention the parents of kids I knew particularly well because they came to my daycare.

Old 07-24-2019, 04:55 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,143,213 times
Quote:
Did someone pee in your cornflakes today? You had a snide comment about collecting rocks which I disagreed with, now you're replied very snidely to me twice. See this:
https://www.capitalgazette.com/opini...204-story.html
I wasn't being snide! I never knew rock collecting was ever actually popular.

Old 07-24-2019, 10:26 AM

10,273 posts, read 13,796,939 times
Quote:
I wasn't referring to people who work with kids. We (DH and I) seem to have a lot of friends and relatives who don't have kids who just. don't. get. it. People talking about kids who "know their place". You do know that's a racist slur, right? Referring to kids as "pissy".

People tend to be much more forgiving of some of these "offenses" once they have kids of their own.

Ordering appetizers just for the adults seems pretty inappropriate, unless another plate was ordered for the kids.
Know their place and pissy are racial slurs? For ****'s sake that's ludicrous.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:18 AM

4,169 posts, read 2,119,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
little confused about the people in this story, is your cousin your nieces mom? is she adopted or is your cousin somehow also your sister? but perhaps mom/your cousin(?) knows that med school is a huge amount of work and has the ability and money to makes things a little easier for the kid.

She is my cousin. Kids needs structure, discipline from early age which includes chores. Just because someone got themselves in to med school does not mean they are not slobs and think of themselves as being too good to do basic manual labor. My niece is one of those that thinks cleaning is below her, she is book smart but i would say she looks down on those that are more poor compare to her family. It's why kids should be consulted on stuff but ultimately adults make the decision and kids need to follow that decision.

Old 07-24-2019, 12:11 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,355,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I wasn't being snide! I never knew rock collecting was ever actually popular.
Someone who knew that rock collecting was popular at one time asked if it still is. If you didn't know it was a popular activity, why not just stay silent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Know their place and pissy are racial slurs? For ****'s sake that's ludicrous.
I didn't say "pissy" was a racial slur. I could have been more clear with that. I was saying it was an indication of people w/o kids who just don't get it. But yes, "Know their place" is a racial slur, just like some antisemitic comments that don't specifically mention Jews. It's called a "dog whistle". Perhaps you could look at the link I posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting