Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 01:45 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccc123 View Post
No my husband and I buy their drugs and alcohol, why should they have to spend their own money on the necessities? I hand it out on Monday mornings along with their lunch money for the week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
We pool the drug money so we can place a bulk order for the family. It's getting expensive because grandma has developed quite the tolerance.
thank you both. I needed a good laugh on a Monday.

My 15 year old has a paying job during the school year (ass't teacher for his religious school) but cares so little about getting paid that he is still owed for an entire year's salary because he never got all the paper work sorted out. They have said they will pay him for last year when gets all the paperwork in for the upcoming year, but will he put in the effort to make that happen? Who knows? I ask periodically about it as a reminder but that's as much effort as I'm willing to put in (aside from the fact that I have to drive him to work every week) and it's on him to sort it all out.

As for the other incidental money he earns through odd jobs or receives as a gift, he spends pretty much all of that on games for his Switch or sometimes on snacks or meals if he's out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 01:53 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,914,243 times
mostly entertainment- going out to eat with friends, movies, etc. They pay for most of their clothing. Otherwise, they save they save it for spending money in college or other big ticket items they want. We handed down a car- even after saving for awhile, they would not have been able to afford to purchase vehicles that I'd consider safe or reliable enough for a newly licensed 16/17 year old. We pay for gas and insurance.

no, we are not permissive of drugs and alcohol. (?!)

no, they do not pay rent.

Old 07-22-2019, 05:02 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,211,978 times
Mayonnaise.

Old 07-22-2019, 06:20 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,874,414 times
I spent my money on my car and car insurance in high school. The tiny amount of money I had in middle school was spent on bus fare, skateboards and eating out.

Old 07-22-2019, 07:11 PM

6,883 posts, read 7,881,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticseas View Post
I assume that most young adults/teens have part time jobs these days. I wonder what they spend their money on. Do you prohibit certain things like alcohol, weed, drugs or are you permissive of them. Do they pay rent?
IMHO the biggest difference between my teens and me as a teen is that my kids think nothing of going out for a meal whenever the mood strikes them. I just don't remember that being a thing we did as teens. We'd get some fast food, or a milkshake, but to go to a sit down restaurant for a meal, wasn't a thing in the late 80s where I grew up.

My daughter gets food out 2-3 times a day when she is hanging out with her friends.

I think we were more likely to buy albums...kids these days have Spotify.

I can't really think of any other differences.

Old 07-22-2019, 11:41 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Here's a funny story about spending money for young people. Every year, my dad's older brother, who had been successful in business, would pay us a week-long visit. When he left, he'd hand me a five-dollar bill and tell me to enjoy something with it.

Well, I wasn't allowed to have any spending money as a kid. Every penny I earned or received as a gift, was confiscated by my mother and put into a savings account. So when my dad learned that his brother was giving me five-dollar bills, he told him to stop it. So the next year, when I was 10, this uncle handed me another 5-spot, but told me he wasn't supposed to do it, so I should hide it someplace my parents wouldn't find it.

So I headed for my bedroom and decided I'd put it inside a book on a shelf. So which book would my parents be likely to never open? So I chose, "Tarzan and the Golden Lion", put the bill inside and promptly forgot about it completely. So 20 years later, I was taking some books out of the shelf and when I came to the Tarzan book, something made me leaf through it. When a crisp five-dollar bill fell out, before it hit the floor, I remembered how it had gotten there.

Old 07-23-2019, 01:10 PM

15,793 posts, read 20,472,889 times
When I was in HS, I spent the money I earned working on buying a car, and then paying insurance. I also paid for my own cell phone, and entertainment expenses.

When I was in college, I paid for college.

Old 07-23-2019, 01:16 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
IMHO the biggest difference between my teens and me as a teen is that my kids think nothing of going out for a meal whenever the mood strikes them. I just don't remember that being a thing we did as teens. We'd get some fast food, or a milkshake, but to go to a sit down restaurant for a meal, wasn't a thing in the late 80s where I grew up.

My daughter gets food out 2-3 times a day when she is hanging out with her friends.

I think we were more likely to buy albums...kids these days have Spotify.

I can't really think of any other differences.
I'm about a decade older, and once my friends and I could drive, we went to diners all the time. Technically a "sit down restaurant" I suppose, but not exactly what comes to mind when people say that. I grew up on Long Island and there were diners all over the place, and we'd end up at one after just about any activity.

Obviously different locations have different options, but I don't think kids going out to eat is something all that new. I also think about movies and TV shows from the 1950s that always showed groups of kids going out for hamburgers and malteds

Old 07-23-2019, 01:48 PM

88 posts, read 65,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
When I was in HS, I spent the money I earned working on buying a car, and then paying insurance. I also paid for my own cell phone, and entertainment expenses.

When I was in college, I paid for college.
What were "entertainment expenses"?

Old 07-23-2019, 04:27 PM

20,363 posts, read 14,636,289 times
I do not charge my sons rent. They are 17 (but done with school) and 20. My younger son has offered me rent, but I want him to learn the self-discipline of saving it himself, in his own savings account, and I cannot bring myself to charge him to live in my home. I'd only save it up and give it back to him some day. Which would be a nice thing to do and all, but I would really like for him to save it on his own.

He tends to spend money on clothes and fast food. Also he maintains a video game server that he has to pay a monthly subscription fee for or something. But he is practicing coding with it, so...? I dunno.

My older son will spend his money on video games usually. He can hold onto money more effectively than my younger son, it doesn't seem to burn a hole in his pocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting