Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2019, 09:25 AM

88,587 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
My dad used to take us on Sunday drives (ugh!) ending at a park for grilled whatever. One summer day we went to a park on a lake but the lake was drained for a pipeline project that dug a trench through the lake bed. I explored the trench and the shale rock piles on either side of it and found thousands of shale fossils of ferns, some which were complete plant impressions.
That is so cool!

You would love this store. I worked in NYC, but I never knew this store even existed until I walked down a different street coming back from a work event one night:

https://astrogallery.com/collections/fish

Check out the other "fossil" pages, as well as the rocks and minerals.

Old 07-24-2019, 11:08 AM

4,992 posts, read 5,290,988 times
I'm married to a geologist... nuff said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2019, 01:38 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
I'm glad to hear some kids still enjoy this! I had heard it was dying out.

Rocks and minerals were the only things I was ever interested in collecting.

Now there's no rocks, but shells and potsherds that wash ashore. Nature is fascinating.

Old 07-24-2019, 05:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Lots of geologists here in CO, including our former governor. Lots of interest in rocks.

Old 07-24-2019, 05:37 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Was it ever actually popular?

Absolutely. Rock collecting has been popular since time immemorial.

Old 07-24-2019, 07:44 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,087,737 times
I collected rocks too when I was a kid then lost interest as I got into my teens. I had a bunch of them and don’t remember what ever became of them.

Old 07-24-2019, 07:45 PM

10,897 posts, read 7,389,984 times
Here in Tucson, there's a huge gem and mineral show every year with thousands of people who collect rocks in attendance.

So, yeah, it's still popular.

Old 07-25-2019, 05:03 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
Nope. I live in New England, and I have never known a kid here who was into rock collecting.

Old 07-25-2019, 06:35 AM

18,562 posts, read 7,372,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFarm34 View Post
Growing up, rock collecting was a favorite hobby of mine. I was lucky enough to live on a gravel road and my parents had a sand pile in the backyard where I dug for rocks. It was one of my favorite pastimes and a great way to learn about different types of rocks.

A young boy I was recently babysitting for wanted to look for some rocks but couldn’t because he lived in a paved neighborhood. So, I brought some rocks to him that I had found around my home.

In the area I live, about 80% of roads, including driveways are paved. Growing up, my parents allowed me to investigate on the gravel roads for rocks. Somehow I survived. Most HOAs these days probably wouldn’t allow a small sand pile in the backyard. Or the kids who live in the city don’t have much access to finding rocks.

And anyone has to be careful rock hunting on public land since it can be illegal. Check the laws in your State before doing so. I have read stories of people being arrested for picking rocks on public land.
I don't know whether it's popular, but my six- and eight-year-olds are moderately interested and have been doing more of it recently, but mainly when they're out of town where the rocks may be different. Some places, like Arizona, the rocks are simply more interesting than others.

Old 07-25-2019, 08:19 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,927 times
My son loved collecting rocks as a kid and learned a lot about them. We bought him a rock polisher when he was about 10 and he polished a lot of them and made gifts (key chains, necklaces...). Aside from the six weeks of listening to the thrump, thrump, thrump of the polisher it was a great activity!

In high school he competed in Science Olympiad and came in 2nd in a rocks and minerals event.

He doesn't do anything professionally with that interest but wows his fiancee with his rocks knowledge. We were at the lake together recently and he recently pointed out an interesting rock formation and told us that "I get a little sedimental thinking about rocks!" (a little rock humor for your day)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting