Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 05:59 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,879,408 times

Advertisements

I am probably out of touch but think it's hilarious they believe that this is a problem at age 5. I am surprised that kids of that age are making fun, clearly they were taught to do that by some adult.

Kids in Japan and Latin America do this practically until age 8. It's just easier. I would not reasonably believe that a 5 year old should be expected to have the dexterity and control to NOT pee with pants fully down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2019, 06:28 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,310,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
While attending my son's wedding, some of my son's friends were snickering that some old guy was in the bathroom with his pants down to his ankles in front of the urinal with his bare butt sticking out. This person at the urinal happened to be my brother (the groom's uncle) and many of the younger men found this very amusing. I found out about it because my son mentioned it to me afterwards.

I mentioned this to my other brother and he told me that's how my brother in question (his twin) always peed.

OP, I think if grownups laugh at this, then school age boys will certainly find it funny also. Teasing hurts, and this could even lead to bullying. I think you should definitely correct your son's method to avoid problems.
This

Old 08-16-2019, 07:04 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
My ex came out of a public bathroom once railing about a guy at the urinal doing this. To him it was a major breach of urinal etiquette, and he said he couldn't believe a guy in his 50s would be doing it.

But the way the school supposedly handled this seems unusual.

Old 08-16-2019, 07:47 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 2 days ago)

35,605 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Sometimes, I'm just so glad to be a girl.

A little privacy, please?

Why in the world is it the societal norm that men pee in front of strangers? What's up with that?

Old 08-16-2019, 08:43 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
1) We don't know that the principal was male.

2) I definitely hope a teacher wouldn't be uncomfortable discussing this with parents, since bathroom behavior is a very common topic at that age.

The whole situation is ... unusual.
I completely agree with your points. We don't know the reasons why it was handled that way.

Old 08-16-2019, 08:45 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
I wouldn't dare call someone a "grown up" if they are ridiculing a child who is answering nature's call. Pants down or not.

Op: modesty is certainly a positive habit. I'd suggest though that his behavior is not technically causing harm. So this desire for him to conform maybe a bit hasty.

Doesn't sound like it's his problem so much as its the adult who wishes to make it an issue. The boy isn't dropping trou out on the playground...or elsewhere.

Old 08-16-2019, 09:03 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,675,948 times
I've never seen an adult do this my entire life.

Kindergarten is about the time for this to stop, usually the first few weeks. However, it is definitely normal to have a good chunk of the Kinder population still pulling their pants down to the floor at the beginning of school.

I never considered the slits in men's underwear anything but decorative. I've never known anyone to try to thread their manhood through there. You just go up and over.

Old 08-16-2019, 09:35 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post

I never considered the slits in men's underwear anything but decorative. I've never known anyone to try to thread their manhood through there. You just go up and over.
Yep. WAY more efficient.

Old 08-16-2019, 10:55 AM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
Yep.

OP, if your son can use a private bathroom, or a stall within a communal bathroom, this problem would be eliminated (no pun intended).

Old 08-16-2019, 02:49 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
In OP's second post, she stated that they (as a family) are working on this, and dad 'taught' the 5 yr. old how it should be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting