Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 08:23 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,552,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post

I always wondered how you got toilet paper out of a tree 40 feet up.
You don't
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 08:26 AM

16,979 posts, read 21,613,699 times
Got a golden retriever? Time to prank back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuHO2KcX6bI

Old 08-28-2019, 08:27 AM

922 posts, read 1,100,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseWords View Post
Actually, it can make a jerk of someone if the intent is to have a child, whom you are not friends with, come outside and look around bewildered and searching for whomever rang the bell. In fact, the kids had their cell phones out when I caught them, which to me means the possibly they wanted to record my child if my child came out when the bell was rung. And with social media, it's pretty easy to pass around a video of someone you aren't friends with, being pranked and made a jerk of. It's not actually someone laughing WITH you when you aren't friends with them, it's someone laughing at you and your expense. A child seeking out whom rang the bell, to be ran away from. Growing up ring and run was done to people you wanted to taunt or mess with (but at least cell phones were not around to be involved, to make a jerk of someone by passing around videos of the incidents). And when it's a peer whom you could be hanging with but you aren't hip enough for them, then tell me how that isn't an attempt at making a mockery of someone not in the clique or included in on the "fun"?

It's being laughed "AT", not being laughed "with" in some cases. And the use of social media always adds to the possibility that jokes will be "passed" around, always at the expense of the person being made a mockery of. I don't doubt social media could have been brought into this, this particular group of kids have various social media accounts (as stated by my child).

OP, I get it, trust me. Having your kid being made fun of or even taped while being mocked is HURTFUL but here's the kicker- it's up to you as a parent to teach your kid to be resilient, to not be so bothered by stupidity because, let's face it, your kiddo is going to be faced with that A LOT in his/her life. So what if a video is passed around of your kid answering the door and looking bewildered that no one is there? Seriously, SO WHAT? Some dumb kids will laugh at him/her, make some eye-rolling comments and move on. Teach your kiddo to roll their own eyes and chalk it up to adolescent stupidity.

If you don't teach your kid to be resilient for things like this, what are they going to do when faced with more serious things? Sex, drugs, alcohol, criminal activities- all of that is going on at pretty much every high school and your kid is heading straight for it in a few years.

If there is one thing I've learned being a parent it's that you cannot protect your kids all of the time. This is something that keeps me up at night at times but I know I have to be ready to face it. The best thing I can do is teach my kids to know what to say to asinine kids and how to react in situations.

Social media has the opportunity to be the worst part in a lot of kids lives and if you don't think that your kid can use it wisely and not be as affected by it, then don't allow it in your household. Kids are only as resilient as you teach them to be, don't forget that.

Old 08-28-2019, 08:48 AM

10,979 posts, read 9,611,811 times
I just feel (strictly my opinion) that you are way over thinking this and making something out of no big deal.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:53 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,165,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berrie143 View Post
Social media has the opportunity to be the worst part in a lot of kids lives and if you don't think that your kid can use it wisely and not be as affected by it, then don't allow it in your household. Kids are only as resilient as you teach them to be, don't forget that.

Parents shouldn't allow social media to be a part of any of their kids lives, it's nothing but bad news for them. There's a growing group of parents in our area that are keeping their kids away from cell phones, YouTube, and social media, as for children, it serves no purpose. I'm hopeful that by the time my 6 yr old hits teenage years, social media will hopefully be very tightly locked down as to who can use it and access it.

Old 08-28-2019, 10:17 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,239,148 times
I know I did it as a kid, but times are very different. I would talk to the kid, tell him I know he was just trying to have fun, but with ring doorbells, guns, crazy, easily-irritated, paranoid people, etc. it could end badly.

Old 08-28-2019, 10:23 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,041,604 times
The more upset you get about it, the more fun it is to the pranksters.

Old 08-28-2019, 01:24 PM

13,254 posts, read 8,325,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I don't recall reading any posts supporting it.

But every stupid thing a kid does isn't worthy of escalating.
Then may I say We are both guilty of "MIS" reading posts.

Old 08-28-2019, 02:40 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,298,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
It happened to us. The next day my roommate was waiting for them. Gave them a good talking to and also had the cops go talk to them.

They were doing it all up and down the street.

Never happened again.
Lol! When I was a kid, we had some little ones who did the ditch doorbell thing, didn't bother us, I did it to at their age, my brother just got into the police force and had just opened the door to leave for work and caught them just about ready to ring the bell, just smiled and said hello and went to work. They never rang our bell again. The look on their face was priceless.

I do understand it is different with the op and hopefully since they didn't get the reaction they were hoping for they will stop.

Old 09-04-2019, 10:14 AM

12,769 posts, read 18,264,719 times
I'm 37. I found it hilarious as a teen and I find it hilarious now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting