Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 04:57 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times

Advertisements

Welp that’s what happens when both parents have to go to work. I don’t need homework assignments for my kindergartener, I want to do other things with him in my free time

But go ahead and be disturbed. I know parents also aren’t supposed to want anytime to themselves either. That goes out the window once kids are in the picture. How dare I want to relax.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 04:58 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,677 times
I can assure you my kids have seen books. We read several times a day, already on to chapter books and we visit the library 2 or 3 times a week

Old 09-18-2019, 05:01 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
(snip)

About 30 years ago, we lived in upstate NY. We did not have kids in school yet, but some of our neighbors did. The district there assigned homework in kindergarten. So it's not just a new thing.
Also, 30 years ago my children attended a city wide magnet school, in Wisconsin. They had homework several nights per week, including in Junior and Senior Kindergarten (Four and Five year old Kindergarten). And, since it was a French Immersion school, not only was the actual homework in French, the instructions were in French as well. They enjoyed the homework and thrived.

Old 09-18-2019, 05:10 PM

2,194 posts, read 1,139,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Welp that’s what happens when both parents have to go to work. I don’t need homework assignments for my kindergartener, I want to do other things with him in my free time

But go ahead and be disturbed. I know parents also aren’t supposed to want anytime to themselves either. That goes out the window once kids are in the picture. How dare I want to relax.
IDK, I agree with you for the most part, but I was still a bit disturbed by that statement.

Old 09-18-2019, 11:07 PM

1,644 posts, read 1,663,918 times
Quote:

. If you don't agree with the curriculum of the school switch your child to a different school, one that is a better match for you. Like I said earlier if you are this upset about kindergarten homework, you are really going to struggle later when your family life revolves around homework, extra curricula activities and the school schedule. Maybe home schooling would be a good option for you.

Last edited by ccc123; 09-18-2019 at 11:41 PM..

Old 09-19-2019, 05:01 AM

7,996 posts, read 12,275,281 times
Any further bickering and the thread will be closed. Let's all try and get our points across in a more respectful way, as thread is heading downhill....Thanks!

Old 09-19-2019, 05:36 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
My kids are in 5th and 6th grade now. If I remember correctly homework in Kindergarten was no more than 30 minutes at the most. If you get them in the routine now, it won't be so hard in the higher grades. My kids finish their work in class and have minimal homework at the moment.
30 minutes! That sounds outrageous to me - and how much does that go up every year?

When I was a kid homework certainly didn't start in kindergarten - the most was "preparing" for show and tell. Certainly my parents never inquired or helped me do any homework either - that was 100% on me.

Old 09-19-2019, 05:52 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,246,669 times
For those saying the comment about it being something she and the DH have to do is a problem or that the kid is supposed to do it, my 5 year old in Kinder only knows like 10 sight words and his name. He cant read the instructions on his homework. So after i work 14 hours a day i have to sit with him for 30-45 minutes and do homework after dinner. Then its bedtime. The 30-45 minutes of homework doesnt affect his whole day but for me, the parent, thats the only time i would have been able to relax all day. He doesnt know enough to work independently yet.

Also, this week was the first week of full homework. He has a reading log for ELA (which is fine because we read daily anyway), a math packet which consists of counting, writing numbers, matching numbers etc, and a science packet. There are about 6 pages in each packet. 2 pages a night, plus sight word practice. And at 5 years old he already runs away to avoid homework. Thats sad to me.

We also go a notification on our class message board that "some parents did not return the reading log for last week. Please remember, homework is a grade". Homework in Kindergarten is a grade. I didnt even know there were grades in kinder. My children are doomed

Old 09-19-2019, 06:47 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
For those saying the comment about it being something she and the DH have to do is a problem or that the kid is supposed to do it, my 5 year old in Kinder only knows like 10 sight words and his name. He cant read the instructions on his homework. So after i work 14 hours a day i have to sit with him for 30-45 minutes and do homework after dinner. Then its bedtime. The 30-45 minutes of homework doesnt affect his whole day but for me, the parent, thats the only time i would have been able to relax all day. He doesnt know enough to work independently yet.

Also, this week was the first week of full homework. He has a reading log for ELA (which is fine because we read daily anyway), a math packet which consists of counting, writing numbers, matching numbers etc, and a science packet. There are about 6 pages in each packet. 2 pages a night, plus sight word practice. And at 5 years old he already runs away to avoid homework. Thats sad to me.

We also go a notification on our class message board that "some parents did not return the reading log for last week. Please remember, homework is a grade". Homework in Kindergarten is a grade. I didnt even know there were grades in kinder. My children are doomed

I think it’s sad too. Instead of instilling a love of learning, they’re already killing it. Too much. Also think it devalues family time.

Old 09-19-2019, 10:39 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,231,243 times
Quote:
He’s there from 8am to 2pm. He actually likes homework at the moment. I think it makes him feel important that he has something to do.
Quote:

So, he's enjoying it and finding it beneficial. Why not encourage him, instead of looking at it like it's cramping your style?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting