Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2019, 07:40 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,534,265 times

Advertisements

Does anyone think kindergarten is a bit early for teachers to be assigning homework? My son is in his 3rd week and he has homework. Is it not enough for a 5 year to go to school everyday, do work and activities there and come home to do more at night?

I enjoy reading books to my kids at night at their ages. I am a little annoyed that there are already homework assignments to attend to. He just came out of my belly 5 years ago and here we are already hitting the books! 😭
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2019, 08:40 AM

995 posts, read 504,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Does anyone think kindergarten is a bit early for teachers to be assigning homework? My son is in his 3rd week and he has homework. Is it not enough for a 5 year to go to school everyday, do work and activities there and come home to do more at night?

I enjoy reading books to my kids at night at their ages. I am a little annoyed that there are already homework assignments to attend to. He just came out of my belly 5 years ago and here we are already hitting the books! 😭
Consider homeschooling. It's only going to get worse as the years go by. Some schools assign four to five hours (!) per night in the higher grades. I consider that child abuse. When a child is at home, that time belongs to the child and the family - NOT the school.

Old 09-18-2019, 08:46 AM

26,647 posts, read 13,630,061 times
Quote:

I think that homework in Kindergarten is not the best idea. Does your son attend full day or half day?

Old 09-18-2019, 08:47 AM

He’s there from 8am to 2pm. He actually likes homework at the moment. I think it makes him feel important that he has something to do.

Old 09-18-2019, 08:49 AM

658 posts, read 720,522 times
I'm with you OP. We did ask our toddler's teacher of how serious we should be regarding homework and were told to relax. KG should prepare them for 1st Grade and this is when most of their activities should be done at school. We were told to read him episodes of books every night and that was it. Unsure what state/school your baby goes to but worth to ask the school as well. The Parent Teacher Organization (PTO) night out would be a good discussion for that, if there is such an org at your child's school. To each school, their own ways of running the curriculum so YMMV.

Old 09-18-2019, 08:50 AM

797 posts, read 235,848 times
Quote:

Absolutely, 100%! Agree with all that you said!

When my kids were young and in school, I remember a few times, one of them breaking down in tears, because they had been saddled with a load of homework, and I stepped in during those times (other times, too), called the school, and informed them that the homework would NOT be getting done.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:01 AM

4,039 posts, read 4,924,793 times
My kids are in 5th and 6th grade now. If I remember correctly homework in Kindergarten was no more than 30 minutes at the most. If you get them in the routine now, it won't be so hard in the higher grades. My kids finish their work in class and have minimal homework at the moment.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:02 AM

I get preparing them and all but I don’t think I had homework until 4th grade.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:10 AM

797 posts, read 235,848 times
Quote:
I get preparing them and all but I don’t think I had homework until 4th grade.
Even then, looking back on it in retrospect, the homework I brought home in addition to the homework my own children brought home, didn't change a thing.

With most jobs, when your day is over, so is your work associated with your job, and the same should be held true for schoolwork. When the school day is over, so is school and all associated with.

Old 09-18-2019, 09:18 AM

407 posts, read 367,955 times
Our school system doesn't focus on homework until maybe 4th grade or so (can't remember exactly when). And much of what our son had was more project related versus worksheets or something. The school always wanted at least 15 minutes of reading a night, but we never considered it as homework as we did that at bedtime anyway.

Unless a child is struggling with something, I don't think homework is useful at that age. It's enough for kids to get into the whole school-groove in K. It's typically a long day for them and coming home to what often seems like busywork doesn't seem necessary, IMHO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting