Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2019, 05:37 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,949,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
I've never seen the point in asking for registration in other states.
Proof of who the car belongs to, for one. First time I ever got a ticket I was driving my parents' car.

Last edited by ContraPagan; 09-30-2019 at 05:47 AM..

Old 09-30-2019, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
It's also for your safety. Idiots crash into cars next to the road (cops get hurt and killed that way). Outside of your car, that's someone else's car contacting your body directly. In some situations, if you're in your car, you might have a bit more of a chance (your car is protecting you).

I did it once, too... broken down waiting for the tow truck next to the freeway, a state cop pulls up to check on me. I wasn't even thinking (annoyed at the situation), got out to talk to him... the first thing he said was "get back in your car; I'll come to the window." And he was right. I see people broken down waiting for help next to their car... all it takes is for one passing motorist to lose control and plow into them at 70 mph. (Some of them are even standing next to a concrete barrier, or, between their car and the barrier! I would not want to be the person who has to clean up the aftermath if someone slams into them or their car.)

Yup, this is why NY passed the Move Over law.

Old 09-30-2019, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msgenerse View Post
I understand what you're all saying, but she's a real innocent looking girl and really, how many women have pulled a gun from their purse just to shoot a cop? He didn't need to yell.
Looks have NOTHING to do with it.

No, you don't understand because, if you did, you wouldn't continue to make excuses for her behavior, especially using as shallow a reason as her "innocent" looks. She wasn't so "innocent" that she knew to watch her speedometer, was she?

Old 09-30-2019, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
. Never heard of asking for registration, except in old t.v. shows. It's typically on the car as some kind of sticker.
Our windshield sticker in NYS doesn't show whose name is on the registration, only make, model, year, VIN number and expiration month and year.

Old 09-30-2019, 08:14 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
.......... No one needed that talk in the 70’s and 80’s, getting shot in a traffic stop because your hands weren’t in the right place was just not anything that .........

I disagree with that. The hands in plain view, be polite, was taught in the 50's and 60's. I'm sure it was taught way before that also. And police were being shot during car stops probably since the first car rolled off the assembly line. My policeman grandfather was murdered by drug smuggling criminals in car way back in the early 1930's.

This is not something new. Police have always been cautious at traffic stops. There have always been criminals and drug carriers, and crazy people driving cars. This is not something that didn't start until the 90's.

And that wouldn't be a valid argument even if it were true (which it is not). It is now 2019. If it wasn't taught in 1980, then a person has has 40 years since then to learn it.

Old 09-30-2019, 08:28 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I disagree with that. The hands in plain view, be polite, was taught in the 50's and 60's. I'm sure it was taught way before that also. And police were being shot during car stops probably since the first car rolled off the assembly line. My policeman grandfather was murdered by drug smuggling criminals in car way back in the early 1930's.

This is not something new. Police have always been cautious at traffic stops. There have always been criminals and drug carriers, and crazy people driving cars. This is not something that didn't start until the 90's.

And that wouldn't be a valid argument even if it were true (which it is not). It is now 2019. If it wasn't taught in 1980, then a person has has 40 years since then to learn it.
It IS new how hair trigger they are now. It was not anything most women had to be concerned with in the past, it just wasn’t. Again the question in any case was only was it necessary to yell at the daughter. No, really it was not. I don’t see the justification for the way OP or daughter is being attacked.

And there is s difference in how cops interact with the public now than in the past. It’s more authoritarian/militarized and less community servant.

Statistically, driving a cab is the most dangerous job in the United States (cop isn’t even top ten). Even knowing that, I would consider it excessive if I was reamed out by a cab driver for making a perceived mistake.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 09-30-2019 at 08:48 AM..

Old 09-30-2019, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep View Post
You seem a bit out of reality when it comes to law enforcement. I actually never got pulled over but did pull over on a country road when the truck in front of me was. By the time the officer walked towards me I had credit card and DL in hand, with hand outside the window and the other one on the wheel. He asked why I pulled over. Well, I was on the guy's bumper. He told me to go home and later checked on me.

As said before - OP's daughter told her sob story at home as she got a ticket and mom bought it.
No one brought up the ticket at all. OP simply asked about the daughter being yelled at and wasn’t excessive in peoples opinions? It was an invitation to give your opinion on that but I don’t see where judging her parenting comes into it. I think people go way too far into attack mode on this thread.

Old 09-30-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Why are you still defending how the OP's daughter acted? It was dangerous. It's not about race or gender. I'ts not new. It's respect for the law. You seem to be badmouthing law enforcement and encouraging people to act how they want to when pulled over, thus creating a dangerous, suspicious situation instead of showing their hands.

Just because it never occurred to you that it was dangerous to get in your purse doesn't mean it's ever, ever been the right way to act.

This was taught in driver's ed, it's in dmv handbooks, it's on every single tv show when cops yell "let me see your hands" or "hands up". So yes, they yelled at her too.
I'm not defending her. She made a mistake. It's hardly uncommon, many people react to being pulled over by getting their papers out and ready. She just wasn't thinking. I don't think it falls under "disrespect" in the slightest. I'm sure she thought she was doing the right thing. Again it's probably many many people who do this. Like I said I used to get my papers out right away, too. Now I don't, cause now it seems a higher probability of getting shot in a traffic stop, where in the past it never occured to me. It still doesn't warrant reaming her out. Just tell her next time wait till the officer tells you to get your stuff out. You guys are acting like she did it out of belligerence, I don't think that's the case at all.

I never encouraged anyone to do the wrong thing. I simply think people are being too hard on both her and mom over it.

I'm not bad-mouthing police, I am stating my opinion that they are more militarized today and that their interactions with the public are different than they used to be in the past. My opinion, based on my experiences and what I see and hear. I am not against the police though, that';s just ridiculous. They aren't Gods though.

You guys IMO just try to make everything extreme. It was a common thing she did. Was it wrong, yes. Did she think it was wrong and do it deliberately? I don't think so. But in your small minds it makes her a disrespectful criminal and her mom a poor role model and I just think that is ridiculous overblowing out of proportion for this situation. I think you;'re doing the same with my posts.

Old 09-30-2019, 03:59 PM

745 posts, read 480,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msgenerse View Post
I understand what you're all saying, but she's a real innocent looking girl and really, how many women have pulled a gun from their purse just to shoot a cop? He didn't need to yell.
Many criminals are very innocent looking. It doesn't matter how many women have pulled a gun before. The point is it has happened and the officer doesn't have time to lookup the stats on things like this.

Your daughter now knows the process when she is stopped.

Old 09-30-2019, 05:53 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,344,993 times
Moderator cut: orphaned quote
Please consider that her sensitive idea of yelling maybe different than an officer's version. Using a stern, commanding voice is not yelling. Honestly it doesn't matter how many women pull guns from their purses and shoot a police officer. They are trained to tell people to put their hands on the wheel because this is a potentially dangerous minute for them. He was doing his job.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 10-01-2019 at 07:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting