Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 05:12 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,149,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridge781 View Post
Well we found out today that the teacher has been presenting the words in lower case and we have been going over them with him in upper case. He knows upper case better than Lower. The teacher could have been clearer on this. She didn’t say specifically that she’ll be doing the quizzing in lower case. We assumed upper case.

Yes hand me the wine.
A small tip for you and other parents. In writing and reading only use upper case letters for the beginning letter of your child's first and last name (or other proper nouns or the first word of a sentence). When practicing reading words, use lower case letters (just like books are written).

I am sorry that the teacher was not clear. She probably just assumed that parents would practice the words the way that she wrote them (which I assume were all in lower case letters). Next time, if you are unclear about something please ask the teacher to clarify it.

Hang in there. It will get better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2019, 06:17 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,960,789 times
Quote:
Well we found out today that the teacher has been presenting the words in lower case and we have been going over them with him in upper case. He knows upper case better than Lower. The teacher could have been clearer on this. She didn’t say specifically that she’ll be doing the quizzing in lower case. We assumed upper case.

Yes hand me the wine.
I'm curious why you would assume that the teacher would be doing the words in upper case. How did they come home? When my daughter was in K, the teacher would send home a sheet of words to practice (maybe 10 sight words) and we would go over them exactly how they were done on the sheet. If we didn't get a sheet, it never would have crossed my mind to do them in upper case because that's now how you normally write nor read words in a book.

Old 10-10-2019, 07:21 AM

2,098 posts, read 2,500,846 times
Quote:
But why would you change the letters to upper case when this isn't how they would be read in a book? From now on, present the material the way the teacher sends it home rather than according to your child's preferences.

I'm worried you and your husband have decided (based on your son's bathroom incident) that you just don't like this teacher and are now prepared to make a huge issue over every little thing. What a stressful school experience this is going to make for your child.

Old 10-12-2019, 09:59 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 6 days ago)

35,626 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
We probably did overreact to this. He’s our first child and the transition to school has not been that easy.

We are probably on edge with this teacher for a few other reasons too. My son also had this teacher last year in k1. He’s in k2 now. Last year the teacher reported to us that he was going to the bathroom a lot (pee). Our son was 4 years old and we weren’t sure what to make of this but the teacher was basically complaining it felt like. She even said something like it can be disturbing to the class and someone has to go with him. The bathroom was literally right next to the classroom. She even let us know how often he asked to go, the times he went etc. she made a list. I think our son knew that him going to the bathroom outside the times the class was taken was frowned upon and a few times he wet his pants. We even took him to the dr, our pediatrician thought this was normal and that kids are different at this age with how often they go. We still had him tested for diabetes. All was fine there. Teacher just felt like he went too much for her liking and sometimes she said he would be holding himself. Again this is normal and I’m not even a teacher and I’ve seen little boys do this my whole life. I also have to point out that the teacher is 25 or 26 years old.

So he ended up having the same teacher again this year. We were like ok, the school year ended up being fine in the end. My son had no bathroom trouble all summer then the first week back to school he wet his pants. I went to the school with new clothes for him. When I saw the teacher she was like he had already gone a few times and he was soaked. I just said well I don’t know what to say but this hasn’t happened all summer. It was like she wanted an apology or explanation from me. This hasn’t happened again since and he and the teacher now have a sign where he crosses his fingers if he has to use the bathroom in addition to the assigned time. This is a catholic school. My DH told the teacher last year to just let our son go to the bathroom when he needs to. We are probably moving this spring and he won’t be going to this school next year.

I’m explaining all this because I feel like perhaps the teacher doesn’t like my son or us because of this. It really seemed to be an issue for her that he wasn’t more regimented with his bathroom habits. If a 4 year old has to go you let them go! End of story but she saw things differently. DH and I just hope she isn’t trying to pick at our son or at us.
Now that you've further explained this, I think it might be a good idea to move him. It's October - this is going to be a looooooonnnnnnggg year for him. And for you.

Some teachers don't like some kids. Some teachers aren't good teachers. Some teachers who don't have kids have no clue whatsoever how to talk to parents in a way that's not hurtful. She sounds maybe like she's got the whole trifecta going for her.

Old 10-13-2019, 06:26 PM

809 posts, read 1,330,942 times
Quote:

Yes hand me the wine.
This is a first. In my 30 plus years of teaching I have never heard a parent say they used upper case rather than lower case. When the list was sent home, were the letters upper or lower case?

What surprised me the most tho, was the statement that your husband was "fuming".

Please let this child be a child.

Old 10-14-2019, 07:40 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,942,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pupmom View Post
This is a first. In my 30 plus years of teaching I have never heard a parent say they used upper case rather than lower case. When the list was sent home, were the letters upper or lower case? What surprised me the most tho, was the statement that your husband was "fuming".
Please let this child be a child.
There's another aspect to this - I don't know if any of the other posts in the thread have mentioned it. When a child grows up, there will be many contexts in which an organization or an individual requires him/her to do things in a certain way. They're rules, and yes, often they're arbitrary or even nonsensical - we can't always do away with rules because we don't like them. That's what life is like, and it's an important lesson the child should learn while he/she is still young. There won't be parents to run interference for the child in the grown up world.

Old 10-14-2019, 11:21 AM

1,939 posts, read 2,162,857 times
Based on everything you have shared, OP, your son may just be stressed a bit in this class. And he may feel anxious about tests, which can affect his performance.

I have a son who had test anxiety all the way through school and even now into college. He's extremely smart and it's obvious he knows his material. In fact, he tutors in math, science and language. In some cases, his student will end up with a better grade than he did even though he is a master of the subject. This hasn't affected him at all. He's learned to accept that he is smart despite getting a B instead of the A he should have on some tests. He interviews very well and can work with others (very important). He is finishing up with his engineering degree and has multiple job offers, so it all worked out.

My advice is to teach your son to relax and take a deep breath. I wish I had figured this out earlier with my son.

Old 10-14-2019, 11:37 AM

32,644 posts, read 48,028,221 times
The kid's life isn't ruined.

In future, practice the words in different settings. Get some friends, or relatives, or the babysitter to run through the flash cards a couple of times.

Don't get offended. I'm not calling your kid a dog. When we train dogs, we teach the lesson and then we go out into lots of different situations to reinforce that the lesson is not linked to only one place. It's absolutely necessary to vary the setting or the dog won't really "get" the command.

Old 10-14-2019, 11:39 AM

I'd also make flash cards with different styles of printing.

Old 10-14-2019, 12:11 PM

Also, training session should be very short for a child that age. Run through the flash cards once and then do something else. Do that a dozen times a day, try to do it right before something fun, and your kid will learn the words and not get the least bit stressed out about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting