U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-10-2019, 02:39 PM
 
73 posts, read 22,180 times
Reputation: 89

Advertisements

We used a bedwetting alarm for my son when he was 7 years old. The pedia actually was the one who told us about it. Worked in a week and no more problems after that. I remember there's a book included in it and it talked about constipation as one of the reasons or the main reason (I can't remember well) of bedwetting. So along with that alarm I think I gave him fiber supplement too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-10-2019, 03:01 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma
20 posts, read 14,681 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
Nothing worked. He just had to outgrow it. My middle was about 10.5. Pediatrician certainly checked him for any medical causes but nothing was ever found. It’s on the late side but isn’t usually a serious medical problem. My other kids stopped wetting by 3 so he was our outlier, but once it stopped it completely stopped.

FWIW these worked better than anything else for him. Too bad they are so hard to get now

https://www.amazon.com/GoodNites-Und...ites+tr&sr=8-3

That is exactly what our pediatrician said is that it is developmental. That’s why he’s not too worried about it. He did some test for the any medical related possibility’s and they came back ok. So at this point he says he will outgrow it at some point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2019, 03:35 PM
 
Location: Brentwood, Tennessee
46,283 posts, read 44,614,535 times
Reputation: 90517
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyP3 View Post
That is exactly what our pediatrician said is that it is developmental. That’s why he’s not too worried about it. He did some test for the any medical related possibility’s and they came back ok. So at this point he says he will outgrow it at some point.
If that is the case, why bother with the alarm at all?

Give your son the diapers he is asking for and wait it out.

At what age will your doctor become concerned? How long are you supposed to wait for him to "outgrow it"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2019, 06:57 PM
ptt
 
458 posts, read 466,645 times
Reputation: 635
Talk to Child psychiatrist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2019, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma
20 posts, read 14,681 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
If that is the case, why bother with the alarm at all?

Give your son the diapers he is asking for and wait it out.

At what age will your doctor become concerned? How long are you supposed to wait for him to "outgrow it"?


Because I want to be proactive. Just because the pediatrician says he’s not concerned doesn’t mean we will just do nothing. I am hoping to speed things up some. Thus the reason for the question. I did let him go back to the diaper he was requesting and we are taking another break from the alarm for now. Dr. Says that my son should outgrow it be 12, onset of puberty. If things haven’t improved by then he will do another round of tests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2019, 01:05 PM
 
Location: NJ
658 posts, read 217,708 times
Reputation: 2491
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyP3 View Post
Because I want to be proactive. Just because the pediatrician says he’s not concerned doesn’t mean we will just do nothing. I am hoping to speed things up some. Thus the reason for the question. I did let him go back to the diaper he was requesting and we are taking another break from the alarm for now. Dr. Says that my son should outgrow it be 12, onset of puberty. If things haven’t improved by then he will do another round of tests.
If its what i think it is, and what our son had, you cant speed it up. He wont grow out of it until his hormones come along and mature things. So its just torture at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-15-2019, 11:27 PM
 
Location: Oklahoma
20 posts, read 14,681 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
If its what i think it is, and what our son had, you cant speed it up. He wont grow out of it until his hormones come along and mature things. So its just torture at this point.
How old was your son when he outgrew it? I don’t think I was torturing him but simple trying to help him out. But once it was obvious it wasn’t helping we went back to no alarm, letting him get a good full night sleep and a diaper that doesn’t leak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2019, 05:34 AM
 
Location: NJ
658 posts, read 217,708 times
Reputation: 2491
He was 9 or 10. Just all of a sudden it stopped. There is a gland in the brain that in some children matures slowly. Its the pineal gland or sometimes pituitary gland. It regulates REM sleep and stops urine output while sleeping. If its sluggish in maturing you have to wait until early puberty for the hormones to push it to mature. Ive heard it more often in boys than girls. It is literally something that no amount of "preparation" can cure. It just stops one day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2019, 10:41 PM
 
2,433 posts, read 1,581,030 times
Reputation: 3347
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyP3 View Post
That is exactly what our pediatrician said is that it is developmental. That’s why he’s not too worried about it. He did some test for the any medical related possibility’s and they came back ok. So at this point he says he will outgrow it at some point.
Since the fed has already done some tests to look for medical reasons, I'd go with it. Bedwetting does often run in families (as you mentioned earlier). If there are mental health issues going on, I'd want to address those with a psychologist. But if it's just the bedwetting and the ped has already looked into it, I'd see what a little time does for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2019, 05:15 AM
 
Location: Oklahoma
20 posts, read 14,681 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
Since the fed has already done some tests to look for medical reasons, I'd go with it. Bedwetting does often run in families (as you mentioned earlier). If there are mental health issues going on, I'd want to address those with a psychologist. But if it's just the bedwetting and the ped has already looked into it, I'd see what a little time does for him.
Thanks. That’s what we did. We stopped the alarm and went back to diapers that don’t leak so he can get a good night sleep. Everyone is much happier now. I’ll just keep praying he stops soon. Mostly just for the sake of it, he so badly wants to go on more sleepovers with his buddies but also having 3 in diapers is going to break us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top