Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2019, 02:27 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,147,759 times

Advertisements

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1003074846.htm

Apparently a father's drinking months before conception is associated with a baby's birth defects, particularly heart defects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2019, 08:56 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 4 days ago)

35,614 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Well that study begs two questions.

How many children are conceived because a couple is drinking?

And how in the world does a man drinking during the first trimester of a pregnancy of his partner affect the health of a baby? I would be inclined to reverse cause and affect here, and say that men who are alcoholics father disproportionate offspring who suffer heart disease. It's hard to imagine how a man drinking after he's fathered his child could possibly affect the baby the mother is already carrying otherwise.

Old 10-12-2019, 09:00 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,934,050 times
So his tadpoles get drunk too? I don't believe this for a second. Not to mention a father drinking during the first trimester is not going to cause birth defects.

Old 10-12-2019, 10:03 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 4 days ago)

35,614 posts, read 17,948,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
So his tadpoles get drunk too? I don't believe this for a second. Not to mention a father drinking during the first trimester is not going to cause birth defects.
I think they've got cause and affect mixed up.

It's highly likely that men who have the alcohol gene also are more likely to have a heart defect gene.

It's impossible to believe that a man drinking after the conception of his child causes the child to have any health condition whatsoever.

Honestly, sometimes. Do researchers not glance at their own publication and say well, it seems that just can't really be the cause and affect?

Old 10-12-2019, 10:33 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,448,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I think they've got cause and affect mixed up.

It's highly likely that men who have the alcohol gene also are more likely to have a heart defect gene.

It's impossible to believe that a man drinking after the conception of his child causes the child to have any health condition whatsoever.

Honestly, sometimes. Do researchers not glance at their own publication and say well, it seems that just can't really be the cause and affect?
I think the researchers might be a bit tipsy!

Old 10-12-2019, 10:41 AM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,191 times
Hard to believe or trust this. Some mothers give birth to perfectly healthy babies while doing hardcore drugs. Not saying I agree by any means but this just seems like the type of article that will just cause unnecessary anxiety. Some women even drink while pregnant and things turn out ok.

Old 10-13-2019, 02:28 PM

32,636 posts, read 48,005,355 times
Drinking "months before conception" is not the same as drinking during the first trimester that so many of you are wanting to defend.

Alcohol is a poison, so it isn't out of the possibility that it would adversely affect sperm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting