Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2019, 04:49 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,342,958 times

Advertisements

This is one messed up story.

A man and his truck is a beautiful thing. Only this is not really a mans truck. The name on the paperwork is the OP's which makes it her truck.

I have teenagers and if they had damaged my truck I would be upset. Then again, no one drives my truck. My wife doesn't even drive it. She always wanted a truck but after seeing how big it is she is not too into driving it. My truck is not even that big. It is more of a 42,000 truck. It is a 4 door with a 5'6" bed. Full size but small.

I can only imagine something in the $60,000 range would be a bit bigger. If that is the case, it is not the truck to learn how to drive with. Can you tell me any drivers training schools that teach students with learning permits how to drive with big trucks? Sure trucks are not as economical as a small car, but they are also not as small as a small car.

When I was learning to fly I started in a small single engine fixed wing fixed gear aircraft. Simple, easy to learn in. The same with driving. You don't start with the biggest thing on the road. You start in something small.

This was poor judgement all around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2019, 05:27 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
You don't need to get insurance just because you have a driver's license. You only need insurance if you get your own car. But having a license is important, I can't tell you how many doctor's offices, etc require a license. I can't even buy Sudafed at Rite Aid without a license.
Your doctor's office does not require you to have a driver's license. That would be ridiculous. They probably require an ID, and you choose to use your driver's license as your ID. Same as Rite Aid. You don't need to be a licensed driver to buy Sudafed, you need an ID.

If the OP's daughter is such a terrible driver, she probably wouldn't pass the driving exam. It would be a waste of time to have her take the exam, knowing that she can't pass it.

She probably won't need a state-issued ID until 18. At that time, she might be mature enough to get her driver's license. If not, she can get a non-driver ID.

Old 11-11-2019, 05:32 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,020,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
This is one messed up story.

A man and his truck is a beautiful thing. Only this is not really a mans truck. The name on the paperwork is the OP's which makes it her truck.

I have teenagers and if they had damaged my truck I would be upset. Then again, no one drives my truck. My wife doesn't even drive it. She always wanted a truck but after seeing how big it is she is not too into driving it. My truck is not even that big. It is more of a 42,000 truck. It is a 4 door with a 5'6" bed. Full size but small.

I can only imagine something in the $60,000 range would be a bit bigger. If that is the case, it is not the truck to learn how to drive with. Can you tell me any drivers training schools that teach students with learning permits how to drive with big trucks? Sure trucks are not as economical as a small car, but they are also not as small as a small car.

When I was learning to fly I started in a small single engine fixed wing fixed gear aircraft. Simple, easy to learn in. The same with driving. You don't start with the biggest thing on the road. You start in something small.

This was poor judgement all around.
That's a good point. My siblings and I all learned to drive in my dad's car, because my mom had an SUV. I was able to drive her SUV years after I got my license, but I started off in my dad's car. Even when my mom would take me driving, we would use my dad's car.

I had a friend in high school who had a Tahoe as her first car. She had so many accidents, and backed into so many things because such a big SUV was a terrible choice as a first car. She didn't know how to handle it.

Old 11-11-2019, 09:29 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,949,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Fiancé is mine and daughter is 15. The get their learners permit at 15 and can’t get their actual drivers license until 16 1/2. She drives the truck with him. Apparently she drives terrible with me.

I previously discussed getting a cheap used car for her to drive on but the insurance agent said to let her drive what we already own because it would be so much cheaper than insuring another vehicle. I guess he didn’t think she would do $10k in damage in the first couple weeks of driving. My car is not really cheap either so not sure I want her driving it now either.

We will have a rental car while the truck is being fixed so maybe that’s what she needs to use to get the basics down. I am also considering paying for additional drive time with the driving school instructor. They get 6 hours included.

I think teenagers driving is worse than teenagers dating. We were out last night and a toddler dropped his drink and the mother was flipping out. I just said to her to enjoy these moments. This is the easy stuff. She is going to blink and he will be wrecking a $59k truck....

My parents are no help either. My mom said she literally drove with me twice on the road and I was good to go. I have yet to cause an accident. Maybe it was because I grew up driving atvs, tractors and farm trucks, but I was never this terrible at driving. She almost hit a car head on the last weekend in my car.

She wants to learn and very eager to drive everywhere. But how do you build up their skill before they wreck cars or kill someone. She does amazing driving in neighborhoods and empty parking lots.
You need to sign her up for lessons with a professional. They will have the cars with the dual controls so they can brake if it looks like she is headed for danger.

Be careful with the rental. Some rental companies require you to name every driver who will be using the car, and they probably won't allow a driver with only a permit to drive their cars.

Old 11-11-2019, 09:59 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,949,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I don't think that is true. Insurance is required if you drive. Car ownership has nothing to do with it. Insurers want to know who the licensed drivers in the household are. They will be factored into the premiums unless you specifically exclude them. But if you do that, you better be sure they never get behind the wheel, even for "just a short trip to the store".

Besides, an unlicensed driver who doesn't drive at all for a few years will not be a safe driver when they finally do.
I got my license when I was 21. Didn't buy my 1st car until age 26, but I was driving the entire time. Lived at home and drove my parent's car. I never had insurance until I got my own car.

Old 11-11-2019, 10:13 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Truck is registered to me. He doesn’t have bad credit, it’s more like no credit. Unfortunately he followed the Dave Ramsey preachings and pays cash for everything.
Well, to be fair, Dave Ramsey would have taught you that taking out a $60k auto loan on a depreciable asset for a boyfriend/fiancé is not a good idea.

You should have let your boyfriend/fiancé figure out how to buy a car on his own. If he uses cash, let him pay cash at the level he could afford.

What happens if you two breakup?

Old 11-11-2019, 10:59 PM

24,112 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Well, to be fair, Dave Ramsey would have taught you that taking out a $60k auto loan on a depreciable asset for a boyfriend/fiancé is not a good idea.

You should have let your boyfriend/fiancé figure out how to buy a car on his own. If he uses cash, let him pay cash at the level he could afford.

What happens if you two breakup?
This^^^^!!!!

Old 11-12-2019, 03:34 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
She needs to practice in a safe but cheap vehicle, maybe a 2006ish Ford truck? Start on private property or in areas with near zero traffic, then work up gradually.

Old 11-12-2019, 03:50 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,554,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
I got my license when I was 21. Didn't buy my 1st car until age 26, but I was driving the entire time. Lived at home and drove my parent's car. I never had insurance until I got my own car.
What year did you start driving? If it was the last 10 years, chances are you were listed as a licensed driver in your parents household.

The only time someone won't get named as a driver is if they have a license but no car and live alone.

Old 11-12-2019, 04:13 AM

1,159 posts, read 619,809 times
Quote:
Fiancé is mine and daughter is 15. The get their learners permit at 15 and can’t get their actual drivers license until 16 1/2. She drives the truck with him. Apparently she drives terrible with me.

I previously discussed getting a cheap used car for her to drive on but the insurance agent said to let her drive what we already own because it would be so much cheaper than insuring another vehicle. I guess he didn’t think she would do $10k in damage in the first couple weeks of driving. My car is not really cheap either so not sure I want her driving it now either.

We will have a rental car while the truck is being fixed so maybe that’s what she needs to use to get the basics down. I am also considering paying for additional drive time with the driving school instructor. They get 6 hours included.

I think teenagers driving is worse than teenagers dating. We were out last night and a toddler dropped his drink and the mother was flipping out. I just said to her to enjoy these moments. This is the easy stuff. She is going to blink and he will be wrecking a $59k truck....

My parents are no help either. My mom said she literally drove with me twice on the road and I was good to go. I have yet to cause an accident. Maybe it was because I grew up driving atvs, tractors and farm trucks, but I was never this terrible at driving. She almost hit a car head on the last weekend in my car.

She wants to learn and very eager to drive everywhere. But how do you build up their skill before they wreck cars or kill someone. She does amazing driving in neighborhoods and empty parking lots.
Maybe she's not ready to drive. See how easily distracted she was... and look what happened. Just because the law says she can get her license at 16 doesn't mean she should.
Funny how people say "it's just a truck"... To many people, it's hard just getting a new car when something happens, or being able to afford a new one just like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting