Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2019, 04:41 PM

10,563 posts, read 5,581,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Earlier in the thread, it was noted that this was a $60K vehicle, and was half of his annual income.
Here they are:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
To be fair, the truck is half of his annual income. We have a fairly high household income. But we also don’t co mingle funds.

I would rather own the truck myself that he drives, than co-sign for him to get it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Fiancé is mine and daughter is 15. The get their learners permit at 15 and can’t get their actual drivers license until 16 1/2. She drives the truck with him. Apparently she drives terrible with me.

I previously discussed getting a cheap used car for her to drive on but the insurance agent said to let her drive what we already own because it would be so much cheaper than insuring another vehicle. I guess he didn’t think she would do $10k in damage in the first couple weeks of driving. My car is not really cheap either so not sure I want her driving it now either.

We will have a rental car while the truck is being fixed so maybe that’s what she needs to use to get the basics down. I am also considering paying for additional drive time with the driving school instructor. They get 6 hours included.

I think teenagers driving is worse than teenagers dating. We were out last night and a toddler dropped his drink and the mother was flipping out. I just said to her to enjoy these moments. This is the easy stuff. She is going to blink and he will be wrecking a $59k truck....

My parents are no help either. My mom said she literally drove with me twice on the road and I was good to go. I have yet to cause an accident. Maybe it was because I grew up driving atvs, tractors and farm trucks, but I was never this terrible at driving. She almost hit a car head on the last weekend in my car.

She wants to learn and very eager to drive everywhere. But how do you build up their skill before they wreck cars or kill someone. She does amazing driving in neighborhoods and empty parking lots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2019, 04:48 PM

10,077 posts, read 6,372,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltimoreguy1 View Post
I think OP is a master-level troll (or filming a new "reality" show). No way this is real life.
Haha. Nope, you haven't read her many other threads.

Old 11-13-2019, 05:02 PM

23,966 posts, read 32,289,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Got my permit in 1995, passed my NYS road test in January 1996, at the age of 21.
I went away to college without a driver's licence or a car. My parents did not buy or help us with cars. We could not use their cars until they thought we were very good drivers. I took driver's ed that was offered in school. I failed a few times.

Since I went o a residential college, cars were not common. Because of parking space, only upper clansmen were issued parking permits.

I wasn't embarrassed about my lack of a licence and I did not care what others thought.

The OP owned the truck, not the fiance. Who is this financial cult guru he follows?

I think someone needs to grow up - and it isn't the daughter.

Old 11-13-2019, 05:04 PM

10,563 posts, read 5,581,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I went away to college without a driver's licence or a car. My parents did not buy or help us with cars. We could not use their cars until they thought we were very good drivers. I took driver's ed that was offered in school. I failed a few times.

Since I went o a residential college, cars were not common. Because of parking space, only upper clansmen were issued parking permits.

I wasn't embarrassed about my lack of a licence and I did not care what others thought.

The OP owned the truck, not the fiance. Who is this financial cult guru he follows?

Hmmm. . . Is that a C or a K?

Old 11-13-2019, 05:12 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,056,304 times
Quote:
Earlier in the thread, it was noted that this was a $60K vehicle, and was half of his annual income.
Of course.

Old 11-13-2019, 05:44 PM

8,306 posts, read 2,931,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

Bingo. The 15 yr isn’t the one that made the biggest mistake here. Whom ever let an inexperienced 15 yr old drive this vehicle is responsible for the damage.

Old 11-13-2019, 08:54 PM

17,620 posts, read 22,575,993 times
I learned to drive when i was 13, using a US Army jeep at Coleman Barracks Motor Pool, which my dad was in charge of. It was outside of Mannheim Germany, at Benjamin Franklin Village, where i went to American high school.

Old 11-14-2019, 03:12 AM

23,966 posts, read 32,289,435 times
Quote:
Hmmm. . . Is that a C or a K?
obviously it's a typo.

Old 11-14-2019, 08:59 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,170,420 times
Bravo is missing a great opportunity for a new series. This is like a mashup of Lottery Winners, Real Housewives and Beverly Hillbillies.

Old 11-14-2019, 02:54 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,018,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltimoreguy1 View Post
I think OP is a master-level troll (or filming a new "reality" show). No way this is real life.
I don’t live to far outside of Baltimore...

To give an update, he is much better. He is back to talking to all of us again. Truck is getting fixed next week. He even made a joke to a friend about it the other day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting