Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 09:34 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Here's some food for thought...

- Don't buy $60k new trucks in the first place.

- Never train 15-yr-olds in new expensive vehicles.

- Having insurance doesn't mean there is no cost when you have a wreck. Besides deductibles, there is diminished value and increased premiums.

- Your insurance agent is an idiot. Get a cheap car to train her in. Cheap enough you only need liability coverage. Once licensed, she'll need something other than a $60 truck to drive anyway. If not, then sell it.

- Telling her she is doing ok when she really isn't is not doing her any favors. She's not going to take it any more seriously than you do. Her built-up esteem won't protect her in a head-on accident.
Words to take really seriously!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2019, 09:36 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,789 times
She almost caused a head on collision and now, due completely to inattentiveness, she went off the road. She's not doing fine. Tell her you'll reevaulate next year to see if she's mature enough to handle it. It sounds like you live in a rural area, and I get that it will be more convenient for you if she has a license, but she's not ready to drive. And if you'll hand her the keys to a giant truck when she has demonstrated no ability to drive at all, she does not belong on the road.

Let your fiance cool off and then tell him how completely wrong you were for letting her drive his car.

Old 11-10-2019, 09:52 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Here's some food for thought...

- Don't buy $60k new trucks in the first place.

- Never train 15-yr-olds in new expensive vehicles.

- Having insurance doesn't mean there is no cost when you have a wreck. Besides deductibles, there is diminished value and increased premiums.

- Your insurance agent is an idiot. Get a cheap car to train her in. Cheap enough you only need liability coverage. Once licensed, she'll need something other than a $60 truck to drive anyway. If not, then sell it.

- Telling her she is doing ok when she really isn't is not doing her any favors. She's not going to take it any more seriously than you do. Her built-up esteem won't protect her in a head-on accident.
All we have is expensive vehicles.

Old 11-10-2019, 09:53 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
All we have is expensive vehicles.

You didn't read a word I wrote, did you?

Old 11-10-2019, 10:25 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,167,339 times
If you plan on letting her drive the rental car, make sure the rental company will allow it first - could be financially ugly if she wrecks that one too.

Old 11-10-2019, 10:34 AM

2,089 posts, read 3,907,034 times
This can’t be real.

Old 11-10-2019, 10:34 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beezle1 View Post
If you plan on letting her drive the rental car, make sure the rental company will allow it first - could be financially ugly if she wrecks that one too.
I highly doubt they will. It's normally licensed drivers over a certain age. I believe they have to be at least 21 in NJ. Someone we know tried to rent a car a few years ago but wasn't old enough.

I agree, it will be very financially ugly if she drives it and wrecks.

Old 11-10-2019, 10:59 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,432,316 times
Quote:
She is learning how to drive. We were passing a friends farm and she was looking towards and honking at the friend, causing her to veer off and hit a sign.

I probably shouldn’t have let her drive but she needs the practice.

I lent my car to a friend, so I have been driving his truck this weekend while he was at work. I am farm sitting this week and daughter was helping me feed animals.
No you shouldn't have let her drive his vehicle you should have waited for your vehicle and it sounds like she needs a few "ground" lessons first on proper behavior when driving and looking at and honking at a friend is not proper behavior especially for someone learning to drive. I think your daughter needs to pay any deductibles he has to repair the truck and your daughter needs to step back at the moment from learning to drive until she can demonstrate responsibility and keep her eyes on the road. If I were your finance I would be mad at you for not taking proper care of his truck and letting her drive. That wasn't your decision to make.

Old 11-10-2019, 11:05 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,432,316 times
Quote:
Fiancé is mine and daughter is 15. The get their learners permit at 15 and can’t get their actual drivers license until 16 1/2. She drives the truck with him. Apparently she drives terrible with me.

I previously discussed getting a cheap used car for her to drive on but the insurance agent said to let her drive what we already own because it would be so much cheaper than insuring another vehicle. I guess he didn’t think she would do $10k in damage in the first couple weeks of driving. My car is not really cheap either so not sure I want her driving it now either.

We will have a rental car while the truck is being fixed so maybe that’s what she needs to use to get the basics down. I am also considering paying for additional drive time with the driving school instructor. They get 6 hours included.

I think teenagers driving is worse than teenagers dating. We were out last night and a toddler dropped his drink and the mother was flipping out. I just said to her to enjoy these moments. This is the easy stuff. She is going to blink and he will be wrecking a $59k truck....

My parents are no help either. My mom said she literally drove with me twice on the road and I was good to go. I have yet to cause an accident. Maybe it was because I grew up driving atvs, tractors and farm trucks, but I was never this terrible at driving. She almost hit a car head on the last weekend in my car.

She wants to learn and very eager to drive everywhere. But how do you build up their skill before they wreck cars or kill someone. She does amazing driving in neighborhoods and empty parking lots.
No, do not let her drive a rental car, it is not insured and you will be out big bucks. Rental car companies do not let underage never mind non licensed drivers to drive the vehicles. Do not do this. She needs to go to a professional company for lessons.

ETA: She also may not be ready yet for driving. 15 is young and not all kids are mature enough and it sounds like she is not mature enough.

Last edited by NorthofHere; 11-10-2019 at 11:13 AM..

Old 11-10-2019, 11:16 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,781,844 times
She's not ready to drive. She can take the bus to school. Try again the summer before college.

I assume that she is covered under your insurance, because if you are insured, and you are letting your daughter, who has a permit, drive under your supervision, you may be able to get your own insurance to cover it. So if your insurance will cover it, you pay the deductible and get it fixed under your insurance. If it has to be under the boyfriend's insurance, you pay the deductible. It's the least you can do. What he decides to do with it after the repair is his business.

Yes, she needs to learn how to drive. Someday. But not now. She's just too immature to understand the responsibilities of driving, and she clearly doesn't yet have the ability to focus on the road in front of her, ALL the time. Honestly, if you were in the car with her, you should have been watching her like a hawk, and should have corrected the veer the instant it started. If you weren't paying close attention, then yes, you are not the one to teach her to drive.

And I agree, letting a teenager drive someone else's car is foolish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting