U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-20-2019, 07:40 AM
 
Location: colorado springs, CO
6,119 posts, read 2,722,942 times
Reputation: 19294

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Who decided the vaccine schedule is "out of control"??

You???

Who cares if there are 1500 studies of vaccines currently ongoing....I wish the number were 3 x that

There is NOTHING wrong with the current vaccine schedule for infants and children, it is safe, appropriate and effective.

Countless lives have been saved due to vaccination programs....not even debatable

Vaccines are one of science's greatest achievements....preventing disease by recruiting the immune system to recognize pathogens and defend the host..

The nonsense from anti-vaxxers about "harming the immune system"?? Ridiculous...

There is no "harm" from "challenging" the immune system.....the immune system is challenged every day whether you avoid vaccines are not...unless you live in a bubble...

There is a reason immunosuppressed folks are at risk for death and disease on a daily basis and it isn't because someone is chasing them around with a syringe looking to jab them....its because a functioning immune system is necessary to fight off daily assaults from antigens in the great wide world...

If homeschoolers want to avoid vaccination fine....just keep those little Petri dishes out of museums, movie theaters, malls and everywhere else where rational parents congregate with their children...

Lol. The US, with 72 vaccinations on the childhood schedule, has the highest infant & child mortality in the developed world.

Japan & Korea have only half the infant & child mortality as we do & half the vaccinations as the US.

Iceland has the lowest infant & child mortality in the world & only one quarter of the vaccinations as the US.

Then there is Rwanda. Their vaccine uptake is higher than the US & their infant/child mortality rate is 7 times higher than ours.

We should obviously strive to be like Rwanda. Not Iceland.

 
Old 11-20-2019, 09:22 AM
 
4,585 posts, read 3,088,827 times
Reputation: 9136
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post

If homeschoolers want to avoid vaccination fine....just keep those little Petri dishes out of museums, movie theaters, malls and everywhere else where rational parents congregate with their children...
Why would you say something like this? My daughter never got sick, just because she wasn't fully vaccinated DOES NOT mean that she was a little Petri dish to be feared.

This kind of propaganda and insults was never heard of years ago.
 
Old 11-20-2019, 09:28 AM
 
10,524 posts, read 6,178,636 times
Reputation: 10380
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Why would you say something like this? My daughter never got sick, just because she wasn't fully vaccinated DOES NOT mean that she was a little Petri dish to be feared.

This kind of propaganda and insults was never heard of years ago.

I agree. It’s just so hateful, not to mention, inaccurate.
 
Old 11-20-2019, 10:05 AM
Status: "Happy New Year!" (set 7 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
88,622 posts, read 104,971,519 times
Reputation: 34137
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Lol. The US, with 72 vaccinations on the childhood schedule, has the highest infant & child mortality in the developed world.

Japan & Korea have only half the infant & child mortality as we do & half the vaccinations as the US.

Iceland has the lowest infant & child mortality in the world & only one quarter of the vaccinations as the US.

Then there is Rwanda. Their vaccine uptake is higher than the US & their infant/child mortality rate is 7 times higher than ours.

We should obviously strive to be like Rwanda. Not Iceland.
I would point out this has nothing to do with "Homeschooling/immunization laws". That said, here are the schedules for Japan, Korea and Iceland.
https://www.jpeds.or.jp/uploads/file...%20English.pdf
South Korean Vaccination Schedule - JEJU WEEKLY
https://www.landlaeknir.is/servlet/f...2015_ENSKA.pdf

For comparison, the US schedule: https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/schedul...dolescent.html
16-17 diseases depending on whether Men B is decided between doctor and patient. Annual flu vaccination recommended.

Note that Japan vaccinates for 16 diseases including BCG and Japanese Encephalitis which we don't use, and they recommend an annual flu vaccination. I don't have the time to count all these doses of vaccines, but it sure doesn't look like half the US schedule.

S. Korea also vaccinates against 16 diseases, including BCG and Japanese Encephalitis. Recommends annual flu. Schedule is quite similar to the US'.

Iceland, a very isolated country, vaccinates against 10-11 diseases, depending on whether you're male or female. They do not vaccinate males for HPV, which puts these males at risk for HPV cancers and enables them to spread the disease. They do vaccinate against Meningitis C, which they US does not. No annual flu recommended. The schedule is lighter than the US', but I count 30 doses for girls, 28 for boys. 1/4 of 72 is 18.

Also, readers need to know that different countries code sudden infant deaths differently making direct comparisons difficult.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26163119
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat.../2091rank.html

Maybe we should talk about Germany, which just made measles vaccine MANDATORY and does not allow home schooling.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/15/healt...grm/index.html
"Germany's parliament has voted to make measles vaccinations compulsory for children, with parents who fail to immunize their children facing fines of €2,500 ($2,750).
The Measles Protection Act, which the Bundestag approved on Thursday, requires all parents to provide evidence that their child has received two measles vaccinations before they are enrolled in school or kindergarten."

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 11-20-2019 at 10:16 AM..
 
Old 11-20-2019, 10:09 AM
 
10,524 posts, read 6,178,636 times
Reputation: 10380
Glad I don’t live in Germany!
 
Old 11-20-2019, 10:09 AM
 
Location: Winterpeg
1,017 posts, read 398,259 times
Reputation: 4309
Here's my anecdote:

I was fully vaccinated as a child, with what existed at the time. My parents were kids in the 40s and 50s and saw many children become permanently affected or die from diseases that have been almost eradicated by vaccines.

When I was 25 I went to work in the public school system. There was an outbreak of whooping cough in kids that hadn't been vaccinated. I had the bad luck of catching it. I survived two months of horrible illness. But I was left with asthma, chronic sinus infections and I get bronchitis or pneumonia every time I get a cold. I never had a lung issue before that whooping cough. Fortunately I get fewer colds and minor illnesses because I stopped working with kids.

Since then I have been vaccinated for some things, and then been titre tested. Guess what? My body doesn't seem to take vaccines. Yay me. People who refuse to vaccinate and put every around them at risk, and deny science, tick me off. I have been a "victim" of their ignorance and stubbornness.
 
Old 11-20-2019, 10:40 AM
 
Location: Georgia, USA
24,493 posts, read 29,524,653 times
Reputation: 30415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Maybe you need to keep those BIG Petri dishes out of musems, malls etc.,and SUPERMARKETS.

https://www.nj.com/news/2019/11/nj-h...-outbreak.html

Think this was caused by an unvaccinated home schooled "little Petri dish"? Of course every employee working with the public has gotten every vaccine on the vaccination list for children?

Hide in your home, never go to work, or out in society because you will never know who you come into contact with that might be carrying some vaccine preventable disease you might catch!
Which is why adults shoud be up to date on their vaccines, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Lol. The US, with 72 vaccinations on the childhood schedule, has the highest infant & child mortality in the developed world.

Japan & Korea have only half the infant & child mortality as we do & half the vaccinations as the US.

Iceland has the lowest infant & child mortality in the world & only one quarter of the vaccinations as the US.

Then there is Rwanda. Their vaccine uptake is higher than the US & their infant/child mortality rate is 7 times higher than ours.

We should obviously strive to be like Rwanda. Not Iceland.
Very poor logic.

Get back to us on the infant and child mortality comparison with other countries when all of those countries are using the same definition of a live birth and comparable demographics.

Kat has already pointed out that your comparisons of vaccination rates are false.
 
Old 11-20-2019, 11:08 AM
 
Location: colorado springs, CO
6,119 posts, read 2,722,942 times
Reputation: 19294
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondaroo View Post
Here's my anecdote:

I was fully vaccinated as a child, with what existed at the time. My parents were kids in the 40s and 50s and saw many children become permanently affected or die from diseases that have been almost eradicated by vaccines.

When I was 25 I went to work in the public school system. There was an outbreak of whooping cough in kids that hadn't been vaccinated. I had the bad luck of catching it. I survived two months of horrible illness. But I was left with asthma, chronic sinus infections and I get bronchitis or pneumonia every time I get a cold. I never had a lung issue before that whooping cough. Fortunately I get fewer colds and minor illnesses because I stopped working with kids.

Since then I have been vaccinated for some things, and then been titre tested. Guess what? My body doesn't seem to take vaccines. Yay me. People who refuse to vaccinate and put every around them at risk, and deny science, tick me off. I have been a "victim" of their ignorance and stubbornness.
I am a non-responder too but my parents found this out when I was very young. I do not want anybody to risk their child's life or brain on my behalf.

I will take care of me; PLEASE do not vaccinate for me, vaccinate for them if that is what you feel is best but you do so at their risk. I have my risk; they have theirs.
 
Old 11-20-2019, 11:14 AM
 
Location: colorado springs, CO
6,119 posts, read 2,722,942 times
Reputation: 19294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I would point out this has nothing to do with "Homeschooling/immunization laws". That said, here are the schedules for Japan, Korea and Iceland.



16-17 diseases depending on whether Men B is decided between doctor and patient. Annual flu vaccination recommended.

Note that Japan vaccinates for 16 diseases including BCG and Japanese Encephalitis which we don't use, and they recommend an annual flu vaccination. I don't have the time to count all these doses of vaccines, but it sure doesn't look like half the US schedule.

S. Korea also vaccinates against 16 diseases, including BCG and Japanese Encephalitis. Recommends annual flu. Schedule is quite similar to the US'.

Iceland, a very isolated country, vaccinates against 10-11 diseases, depending on whether you're male or female. They do not vaccinate males for HPV, which puts these males at risk for HPV cancers and enables them to spread the disease. They do vaccinate against Meningitis C, which they US does not. No annual flu recommended. The schedule is lighter than the US', but I count 30 doses for girls, 28 for boys. 1/4 of 72 is 18.

Also, readers need to know that different countries code sudden infant deaths differently making direct comparisons difficult.


Maybe we should talk about Germany, which just made measles vaccine MANDATORY and does not allow home schooling.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/15/healt...grm/index.html
"Germany's parliament has voted to make measles vaccinations compulsory for children, with parents who fail to immunize their children facing fines of €2,500 ($2,750).
The Measles Protection Act, which the Bundestag approved on Thursday, requires all parents to provide evidence that their child has received two measles vaccinations before they are enrolled in school or kindergarten."
I should have been more clear; I was looking at the number of immunizations required by age 6 to start school; not the entire schedules into adolescence. Sorry about that.
 
Old 11-20-2019, 11:15 AM
 
Location: colorado springs, CO
6,119 posts, read 2,722,942 times
Reputation: 19294
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Very poor logic.

Get back to us on the infant and child mortality comparison with other countries when all of those countries are using the same definition of a live birth and comparable demographics.

Kat has already pointed out that your comparisons of vaccination rates are false.
And I just acknowledged the discrepancy. Why is the logic poor? I was being sarcastic about wanting to emulate Rwanda with their high vaccine uptake & high child mortality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top